Cash for Clunkers -- Clunk You (Editorial)
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default Cash for Clunkers -- Clunk You (Editorial)

It seems like I can’t go five seconds on a news site or news program without having to hear about the Cash For Clunkers program and honestly I’m sick of the program already.

I understand the concept of it, the government is giving an incentive for people to trade in their gas guzzling SUV’s for a newer, more fuel efficient car. The purpose being to try and ween ourselves off foreign oil. The concept I applaud, the method I question Overall it seems pretty simple, but there are the technicalities.

Probably the number one gripe I get is that peoples’ cars aren’t qualifying -- the following is a report from WCPO’s John Materese here in Cincinnati:

“From the dent on the door ...to the squeak in the hinges....to the 120,000 miles on the odometer, Tony Edward's car would appear to be the definition of a "clunker."

He says "It has squeaking doors, windows that barely go up and down, no radio, and barely any a/c." So Tony was thrilled to learn of the Cash for Clunkers program...With hopes of trading in his old Plymouth Sundance for $4,500. He says he'd be lucky to get $500 for it in a sale.”

The report goes on to say that since his “clunker” gets more than the 18 mpg cap for the program, he doesn’t qualify. I’m saying he doesn’t qualify for it because he doesn’t drive a clunker. He drives a piece of crap, there is a difference. A dent in a squeaky door doesn’t make it a clunker, if it was missing a catalytic converter and the engine knocked and an the tires were bald, then MAYBE.

The Sundance is a compact car and not part of the problem. If he drove a Ford Explorer that is designed to cross artic tundra while carrying 16 penguins in the back and a toboggan on the roof then I’d listen but just because you don’t like the piece of crap you drive does not mean you are entitled to $4500.

And the phrase “A/C that barely works” pisses me off… at least it works.

I bought a 2001 Chevy Cavalier with 136000 miles on it. Clunker? No. Piece of crap? Yes. Gets me from Point A to Point B? Yes.

That’s all I need.

The gas tank has a slight leak, the exhaust is rusted out, the check engine light is on, the tires were rotted, and the battery was practically dead. It’s a two door car… black interior, black exterior, and tinted windows -- and not only does the A/C not work, the passenger window doesn’t open and is duct taped shut. I sweat more in this thing than I do on my bike. Maybe I should consider getting a new car but this piece of crap gets 33.5 mpg and only cost me a hundred bucks.

Secondly, If you are driving a crappy car obviously you would not want to take on a new car with full coverage insurance -- yeah, you’d be saving some money upfront -- but factoring the fact that you’re uninformed and the car dealer will most likely rip you off, you’ll have to pay interest on the car payment, and the full coverage insurance, and the registration fees -- may it’s not such a good deal after all. All this, and I haven’t even factored in depreciation. But hey, you got $4500 off.

I had my Taurus a few months ago and I was in a similar boat -- I had a near dead car and I thought about using the Cash For Clunkers program but then I realized the cheapest car on the market right now is around $15000. So I’d have to spend $11500-ish net payout to get a $4500 incentive. I’m sorry, but my frugal mind won’t allow me to something that stupid. I also later found out that my Taurus wouldn’t have qualified either -- EPA estimate of 19 mpg so I would have been SOL.

I sold it for $600 and pocketed that money and went car free for a bit. Then I was able to replace it with a another car in better shape for $100. That makes more financial sense. But I will admit I got lucky.

Furthermore, the purpose of the program is to reduce oil consumption. It is not to help people buy cars, especially cars they can’t afford. The government bought enough cars a few months ago when they bought General Motors, and we all know how well that’s been turning out. From now on I refer to General Motors as “Public Transportation.”

Another gripe I hear is that people are complaining that the only car you can buy with the program is a “tiny roller skate with a go-kart engine.” Again, the point of this is to save oil, it is not to reward you for buying an oversized piece of crap.

I could spend a long long time talking about how much I hate SUV’s, but I will spare the boredom.

Those around me know how I feel about the way people feel about their cars. When we were moving out of our apartment our neighbor, who in two years of living next to us never said “Hello” even in passing, all the sudden wanted to talk to me. He accused us of putting a dent in his brand new car with our car door (on a night we weren‘t even there). He brought me out while telling me he was calling his insurance company and he had our license plate number written down. He proceed to point out a smudge. Not a knick. Not a dent. A SMUDGE. Spit. Wipe. Gone. I told him to get lost. He said to me “I paid a lot of money for that car.” and I replied “Then you paid too much.” It’s not my problem that he validates his self esteem through a vehicle purchase. He said we’d be hearing from his insurance company. I’m still waiting to hear from them. I’m just wondering how hard the claims adjuster laughed when they saw his ‘damage.’

Maybe now he’s trying to trade it in as a clunker.

Overall, the only people who truly can benefit from this program are rich people who can afford a new car that years ago bought “super-sized” vehicles because that what the car companies pushed on them. And in many cases those are the only vehicles that will fit their “super-sized” asses when they go to Wal-Mart to buy a 2 gallon container of Cheesy Poofs and an American Flag (made in China) to show their patriotism.

My biggest beef about the program is that it doesn’t address the main issue directly -- our transportation habits. Yes, it would overall reduce the high polluting and gas hogs but it does nothing to put the idea in mind for other forms of transportation. I would love to have traded in my Taurus for a top-of-the-line road bike to get to work more efficiently. The only oil it needs is on the chain. Or how about trading in your clunker and getting free mass transit for a couple years? Maybe that would have been a better program… and could have put some people back to work.
    Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!Share on FacebookSpurl this Post!Reddit!Wong this Post!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Kids bandaid on a gaping open heart surgery wound!

Useless

And even if we trade in those clunkers for more fuel efficient right now, what about the fuel costs etc. involved in making the new cars. It all trades off. Who are they kidding?

If I could not afford a new car now, would $4500 towards a NEW car price tag help me? NO

This has nothing to do with fuel efficiency and the state of the environment and all that---it is a push to sell new vehicles that are not moving and save those big car corps to me!!
    Last edited by Karen1; 08-01-2009 at 03:24 PM.
    Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!Share on FacebookSpurl this Post!Reddit!Wong this Post!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by Karen1 View Post
    This has nothing to do with fuel efficiency and the state of the environment and all that---it is a push to sell new vehicles that are not moving and save those big car corps to me!!
    Agree. Some friends used it but they were looking for a car anyway so just stepped up the program. Had to really step it up when they heard that the program ran out of money. Think they just slid in under the wire, but she said the auto dealer was 'hesitant' to let it go. Could be a real fiasco if the dealers have sold gobs beyond what the FIRST AND SECOND money will cover.

Just another gov't program gone TU.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

~Well I live pretty much 'media free' so I only read an article about the program this morning.
    The entire concept is stupid but I particularly noticed the stupidity of one segment of this plan. The rebate is usable toward the purchase of a domestic or foreign car. You'd think that they'd be more motivated to move the GM inventory and spur domestic jobs and productivity. Just an epic fail, IMO.~

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by frugalfranny View Post
    Agree. Some friends used it but they were looking for a car anyway so just stepped up the program. Had to really step it up when they heard that the program ran out of money. Think they just slid in under the wire, but she said the auto dealer was 'hesitant' to let it go. Could be a real fiasco if the dealers have sold gobs beyond what the FIRST AND SECOND money will cover.

Just another gov't program gone TU.
    I am glad your friend got use from it. If the right opportunity hit and you were shopping, then yes-sirree....take advantage of it.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

My car is a clunker and a junker. I drive a 2000 Chevy Blazer. I have 140,000 miles on it, no door panels, no back panel. The back hatch won't open unless I climb through, The passanger door does not shut right, and the driver door I had to use J B Weld on. Did I think about doing the CFC? Yes my car is actually very unsafe to drive, I qualify for both Chrysler and GM discounts and was looking at the Patroit and Cobalt. Either one would have ran me about 11k. Could I afford it? I could have MADE it work.

Why didn't I? Because I did not qualify. I let my insurnace laps for 2 weeks in January. So that right there knocked me out of the running. But the main reason was because I was not going to let the government TELL me which car to buy. Hell no.

Now it is all messed up this CFC program. Think we should allow the government to controll our health care too? HELL NO!!!

jas
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I think that most of these bail outs for all these businesess that have run themselves into the ground should have to work it out for themselves. Sink or swim.

I think throwing all this money around is only going to cause huge problems down the line.

All that being said my ds needed a new car, did it have to be brand new? Heck no. He was not even looking at new ones, his price range was about 10,000. He had not even heard of the cash for clunkers deal. While looking for a used car a dealer asked what he drove, he told him and the guy said lets see if you car would qualify for this deal. It did. The cash for clunkers was going to go into effect in a week. So my son kept looking at cars keeping that option in mind.

In the end he bought a 2009 Pontiac G5. The sticker was 19500 with an incentive of 3500 off plus the 4500 cfc incentive. He also got 450.00 for the scrap value of his truck. He paid 11050.00 for his new car that will get way better gas milage.

It was the biggest hassle but in the end worth it to him. The dealership said they were not going to be doing any more cfc transactions.

I see all the uproar about it and not as great a deal for many more people. It should be able to be used on used cars also.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

So where do we go from here? I know. Let's plant an organic garden w/ sewer sludge in it. Sorry. I know. I know. I'm on time out.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by kimmy4433 View Post
    My car is a clunker and a junker. I drive a 2000 Chevy Blazer. I ha
    Now it is all messed up this CFC program. Think we should allow the government to controll our health care too? HELL NO!!!
    Don't even equate this stupid program with health care.

You think the government can't run anything? How about the police department, fire department, national park service, post office.. or even the MILITARY.

I'm sorry, no matter how much of a general distrust I have in the government at least I have the power of a vote. I have no say to vote out the CEO of a greedy profit driven corporation that although I pay my premiums dependably when I do get sick I have to fight for months to get it paid.

If you look at the most solvent countries in the world(such as Norway) they have a health care system in place.

Furthermore, as someone who has owned my own business it should NOT be the responsibility of business to provide health care. Health care should be a public service -- but I would model it similar to the way Social Security is run -- yes it's in place but I would not depend on it as my only retirement plan.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by Preston View Post
    Overall, the only people who truly can benefit from this program are rich people who can afford a new car that years ago bought “super-sized” vehicles because that what the car companies pushed on them. And in many cases those are the only vehicles that will fit their “super-sized” asses when they go to Wal-Mart to buy a 2 gallon container of Cheesy Poofs and an American Flag (made in China) to show their patriotism.
    Wow! Just wow! What a generalization! I was actually interested in your post until that diatribe showed up.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I have an SUV, newish, paid in full . Love it.It is much better suited to our lifestyle than a little crackerbox, regardless of the gas milage. It looks nice, and I keep it pristine. But if need be, I can drop the back seat and carry a calf in it.Car really smells like crisp green money then.It takes a busload of girls to ballet, saving the cost for each girl to ride individually, carries groceries for myself and several neighbors, carts the dogs. I enjoy a larger vehicle.I dislike car payments.Program seem silly to me.
    Last edited by annymoll; 08-03-2009 at 08:26 AM.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I like the program. I figure that when these crazy people trade their "now old" cars in ...in about three years, there will be a glut in the market and I can sell/trash my 99 Chevy Metro and get a much nicer car.
    But I only like it for personal reasons. As a large program, it seems a little wild.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

You do know that the cars that go in (the clunkers) get ruined. They pour something in the oil and other places that is like glue so the cars are worthless.

Next the "gov" pays the dealership< I think dh said $100 for the car and then they get sold for scrap to scrap yards, striped and then recycled.

I am waiting for the "gov" to screw the dealerships and all the people who were driving clunkers because clunkers were "in their means" to get the new cars repoed and then people will have NO clunkers to buy period--they are all scrapped, and the dealers(or the banks) don't get paid, and then what a mess.

Maybe it won't happen.......

jas
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

not every clunker or older car qualifies for this program. there should still be the clunkers available that are smaller cars to begin with because they do fit what qualifies to be traded in. At least not in this first round. That of course could change in the future.

The dealers of course run a great big risk of not getting thier money from the govt. All the government has to do is say oops you made a mistake in taking this car as a trade it does not qualify for what ever reason. The dealer has had to have the car engine at least scraped before he can even turn in the paperwork. If the deal goes bad he has nothing to give back to the person.

Many dealers in our area started taking in trades at the beginning of July and the final rules did not come out till the end of the month. Many of those deals may not qualify now. Some were using edmunds or kelly blue book to use as the mpg guide for the trade in and the numbers didn't match the offical websit the gov. put out to use.

Numbers wise it worked out for my ds but I hope the price he will pay in the end does not do him in or me as I went on this site and pray I did not hit continue. I don't think so but now as just sick.

watch this video and you will know why.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QpqdEPfcUTs&feature=related"]YouTube- Beck Shows That Cash For Clunkers Web Site Declares Federal Control Over Computers Accessing It[/ame]

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

"Someone" mentioned this program to DH. They still can't understand that I don't want a new car. People are so into everyone needs a new car, that this program would end all the excuses I've used to keep my clunker. I mean you say $4500 & many are ready to trade with little to no thought about what they are actually spending in the end. Anyway, mine was too old (must be less than 25 years old). I thought that was so funny! Can you believe it? Well, even if mine did qualify, I'm not planning on upgrading to higher insurance & taxes just to drive something good enough for someone else.

Maybe I should mention I drive 8-9 miles to work & feel this offsets the bad gas mileage. I do feel its important to do what we can for the environment. Just not sure this program is the answer.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast