Share what frugal things you have done lately
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default Share what frugal things you have done lately

The other day I dyed some clothes black that had faded in colour. i was really happy that one packet of dye extended the life of so many pieces of clothing. I expressed my delight to DH but then realised I didn't have anyone else in real life to really share my joy. They would listen but just would not get it. So do you have any frugal things that you have done or do that you would like to share, big or small.

Some other things that I have done recently are:

* My sister gave me a watch she no longer wanted. The band was old looking but the face is in great condition. After holding out I found a band for it for $1.

* I wanted 2 wooden, gold coloured photo frames to display some wedding photos. The general price I found was around $20 each! We looked and looked. We finally found some black wooden ones at a discount store for $5 each. We then bought a can of gold spray paint for $3 and spray painted them. They turned out amazing, better then expected and for less then the price of 1 at the other stores.

* We bought powdered starch to make our own. For the same cost of one can the box will make 20 or more home made bottles. You only use a Tablespoon for each mix.

* I have been making a conscious effort to only do full loads of laundry to save on water. It's just too easy to do half loads when there is just the two of us.

* I have not bought a specific cleaner for the stove top for years, literally. I just use dish washing detergent either squirted from the bottle or diluted in water in a spray bottle. The tip is not to wait for the mess to build up over many days or to let it dry too much. After you eat dinner just give the stove top a wipe (and scrub if need be).

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I've been doing the basic stuff..

Baking our bread for the last couple of weeks - I did buy a loaf yesterday however as I am having not only a horrible allergy attack but one of my dreaded several week long periods too! Yippee! LOL

Hung laundry to dry yesterday and today

I've stayed home for days on end now other than going to work or picking dd up from work

Today I am going to bake some hummingbird muffins using up some very ripe bananas

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Always hang laundry outside or on drying racks inside, family member gave us a dryer, but we still have not hooked it up...haven't had a dryer in 3 years, so I figure I can do without a while longer

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Registered User AspiringToBeFrugal's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I used up some overripe pears and a couple of softening apples to make some chunky pear/applesauce.

I used leftovers last night to make a completely different meal.

I've been identifying pieces of clothing that can be cut up and used for other craft/gift projects.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

how about found a house that's perfect for us for 106K! Means that our mortgage is about the same as our current rent. Plus it has gas heat and double pane windows so our utilities will be lower!
    ...now just have to get through closing process...

also, was online paying credit card bill and noticed I had reward points just sitting there. I NEVER use my CC's so there was no way for me to build up more points, so I decided to see what I could get...

$50 Target Gift Card!!
    sweet.

Thats about all this weekend.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

We recaulked around the dryer vent and some windows.
    Added weatherstripping around the back door (you could see daylight AND it faces north).
    A/C is OFF and windows and doors are open.
    Researching prices for motorcycle parts, accessories, and clothing locally and online that hubby needs. We are going to the Lone Star Rally at the EOM & prices are SUPPOSEDLY really good there.
    Repaired my Harley boots rather than buy new.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

-turned down the heat at 61 degrees at night; I figured that if I put a hot steam humidifier in the baby's room, it would stay warm enough (it was actually hot in there) and save on energy as well
    -made home made laundry detergent (I do laundry every week-end now for 3 people)

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

have the wood burner going and made homemade applesauce on it with 3 mushy apples.

hang laundry on the dryer rack in front of the woodburner--works as a humidifier too!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Froze 28 pints of HM chunky applesauce (peels on), made HM baby wipes & laundry detergent, simmered the carcass of a baked chicken & froze 4 pints of chicken broth, using up & making iced tea with ALL of my different kind of teabags, using cloth hankies, always hanging up my laundry, taking my herbal vitamins faithfully & got my flu shot, (attempting to stay healthy/no dr bills) buying "on sale" food items for winter stock up & actually my savings were more than my bill!....

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

~Stocked up on Aldi's $.40lb apples to make pie filling for the freezer and apple butter.
    ~Haven't ran the heater yet, except to check if it was working properly. It was 58* in the house the last few mornings.
    ~No dryer here either(yet! I plan to buy one soon ). Yesterday I hung 3 loads and today, 2.
    ~Made a food gift for someone instead of buying something.
    ~Gathered a big bag of old clothes to turn into a scrap rug.
    ~Planned a school field trip to a free destination.
    ~Today, I'm listing some dvd's we don't want anymore to sell online.
    ~Trying organic bar soap for washing dishes and store brand auto dish detergent this week.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

[QUOTE=nuisance26;1254817~Haven't ran the heater yet, except to check if it was working properly. It was 58* in the house the last few mornings.[/QUOTE]

NUISANCE!! Are we going to find you and your family sitting around with ICICLES hanging off you?????? 58........and NO HEAT???

yeow!!!

That is what mine goes down to AT NIGHT but it damn sure doesn't stay there in the morning!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Ran out of shampoo and then I remembered on Debbiecats blog she wrote about using warm water and baking soda tried it an loved it saved money and big thanks to Debbie cat

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I've mended dh's underpants :-)
    Polished all the shoes
    Refused to buy new wintercoats because I was sure the old ones were at the bottom of the pile in the in-house shed (they were).
    Washed, ironed, pressed, starched my office clothes that are 'dry clean only'. It seems to have worked out OK.
    Using up the samples sachets (body lotion, shampoo, face cream, etc)

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Went on a mom-daughter day out yesterday with lunch (that I used my money saved for). We shopped at Salvation Army and I found a spring/fall coat that I needed, in great shape for $10.00! I also found two other coats, one for $7.99 (an extra winter one for every day), and a fleece one that I love for $3.99!!! I'm all set on my outdoor gear! LOL I also found a perfect pair of black pants, and a great button down pretty blue shirt, and a couple of other things, and my total was less than $35.00! We also went to Wal Mart, and found my daughter cowgirl boots for $15.00 that she really wanted for her Halloween costume that will double as REAL boots for her to wear all season, because they look great on her, and she loves them! So all in all, a very successful and pretty frugal trip for all that we got! She bought some of her own clothes (she's 14) with her allowance. We buy them the clothes they need, if they want clothes beyond that, they buy them themselves, or get for gifts. :-)

I also just signed up for the Rite Aid monthly rebate check. Last week, I bought two things, and this week, I'm about to buy a few things too. It seems easy, though I haven't finished my first month yet.

Tracy Q.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Loading dishwasher before 9PM and running it after 9.

Same with washer and dryer. ( dryer for what has to be )

Had a few cool nights here so opened the windows bout 3 in morning to further cool off house.

Using food saver to prep and save on freezer veggies and meat.
    Bank of America is THE godfather of Hell with Wells Fargo running neck and neck. When the world ends the only things that will be left are cockroaches, Walmart, Wells Fargo and Bank of America. Not necessarily in that order. The order remains to be seen.

Challenges
    Coupon/Sales Challenge Feb
    $8.00

Grocery Challenge/Feb
    Goal $250.00
    Total $33.55

Eat Out No More Feb
    Goal 20
    Accomp/8

No Spend Challenge/Feb
    Goal 20
    Accomp 4