Have you started your back-to-school shopping?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Default Have you started your back-to-school shopping?

Both boys get out of school this coming Monday. One goes back in mid-August, while the other starts in early September.

I haven't even started shopping yet.

I do have $100 set aside in gift cards for shopping this year. DS6 inherited a lot of hand-me-downs from DS11 that are in excellent shape, but he is going to need new pants. DS11 has a lot of hand-me-down shirts from DH, but will also need lots of new pants. DS11 will need to start wearing pants in sizes that men wear them in, which is a challenge for us. DS6 just got new shoes about a month ago. One pair is a pair of sandals and two others are outdoor/indoor shoes. I figure that he'll definitely need a new pair of boots, but he won't need those until at least November. We're still good on coats for both boys, which is an excellent thing for us.

So how's it looking for you and have you started buying anything for the upcoming school year?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Our kids last day was May 28. I started for one of our boys. I haven't started on my girl yet. The two foster kids we have get clothing vouchers/but won't get those til almost time for school. Wal_Mart had some blue jeans for $2 I picked some up and my DIL picked him a pair up also. They also had some shirts. He won't need much more. My little girl has shot up and out so will need mostly everything. Will keep checking Good Will, Salvation Army, hit some garage sales and of course Wal-Mart. I also need to get their school supplies as soon as I can. Glad they all came home with their supply list. Foster kids don't get vouchers for that. I wish they did. Oh well School for us starts August 23 or 25.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

My kids go back to school Sept. 7.
    I already started and putting stuff away for the fall.
    They are mostly all set as I have been picking things up when they are on clearance and dd2 has hand me downs from dd1.
    They will both need new sneakers and a few school supplies.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

no....I haven't. I'm glad of this post. I guess I need to sign up for extra shifts as my 12 year old has gotten taller. I have a daughter going to her 2nd year of college. I have concentrated so much on getting her tuition that I need $ for books and supplies. ugh.......

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

yes.

i need tops and possible shoes.

for my classroom i need to develop new lessons which will require a lot of printer ink and paper. ouch.

Banned
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I haven't really thought about it. I shouldn't have too much to buy this year.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I just told my kids that we need to go through their closets and dresser's so I could make a list on what they need. Unfortunately, my kids are both young teenagers who will only wear specific brands. Before anyone here makes a judgement on that statement let me be clear. They will only wear certain brands but that doesn't mean I increase my clothing budget. It's still the same budget they just get less because they like the more expensive stuff.
    They also both grew a lot over the last six weeks. I think they will need everything. We set money aside for this so we shouldn't have any trouble financially.

The biggest expense for us is their extra curricular activities. My dd plays AAU basketball and that cost's $500 just to play. That doesn't count all the travel expenses associated with it. Hotels, gas, food etc. It gets quite expensive. I'm hoping it will pay for itself in the area of college scholarships. She is really good!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

School ended June 10 and starts back Sept 1. I already started shopping, but I have some things in a stockpile.

The Unofficial List
    * subject to change as her sizes and seasons
    5 pairs of pants/jeans or shorts
    5 short sleeve shirts
    5 long sleeve/hoodies
    2 pair sneakers
    5 pair socks and unmentionables
    1 winter jacket
    1 pair boots
    scarf, gloves, hat

The Official List (per the school all things mandatory)
    36 #2 pencils
    8 ct. washable markers
    12 ct. colored pencils
    5 blue/black ink pens
    5 red ink pens
    2 highlighters - different colors
    2 erasers (white medium)
    5" sharp scissors
    pencil sharpener
    1 12" sturdy ruler (inch and cm marks)
    6 small or 3 large Elmer glue sticks
    3 packs of 100 lined 3x5 index cards
    2 spiral 3x5 index cards
    3 packs 3-hole wide ruled paper (100 sheets)
    1 composition notebook
    1 5x7 spiral notebook
    pencil case
    container large enough to hold all supplies
    1 1/2" 3-ring view binder w/interior pockets
    1 expandable coupon holder
    3 large boxes of tissues
    3 containers Clorox Disinfecting Wipes
    1 Scotch tape
    1 old shirt (adult size) for painting projects

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

DD got out May 6th and starts back either August 12 or 13. They do a staggered start to the preschoolers don't get too overwhelmed on the first day.

I've already got her 2 complete uniforms. She will need a school t-shirt and khaki shorts. She will also need school shoes and white socks. Possibly a navy hair bow.

As far as supplies, we will get a list at parent night next month. I'm sure it'll be a doozie!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Do you think that their school list could get any bigger? It just makes you wonder (makes me wonder)

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I'm going to start next week. Back to school shopping was hard on us last year so I'm getting a head start this time.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by jantana View Post
    Do you think that their school list could get any bigger? It just makes you wonder (makes me wonder)
    I think we can consider ourselves lucky because we don't get a supply list. On the other hand, we pay $155 for DS11's school fees and another $45 for DS6's school fees next year. $200 for the bus fee for DS11 and I just about pull my hair out. Fortunately for us, we're saving money this year compared to last. Last year, we paid $165 for DS11's bus fee + $45 per month for lunch program. We also paid another $100 for a budget snafoo for the lunch program. The school fee for DS6 will go unchanged this year and he won't be taking part in the lunch program. However, the boys are switching places this year. DS11 will need to take lunch with him as there's no lunch program for 7th grade. DS6 will be eating at home, which means my lunch budget will go up.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I went through what I bought ahead and only need to get shoes for both the girls and bookbags! A lot of the birthday parties we have gone to had school supplies in the party bags (which I love a lot more than junky plastic things!) that I can divide them between the two and it will be good. The only other thing is stocking up on lunch items when we get closer to the start of school (which is not until after Labor Day).

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I haven't yet.... but then I wait for the supplies to hit their rock bottom prices, and that should start here in a few weeks.

As far as clothing goes, I have one kiddo that just doesn't seem to grow, he will need a few new pairs of jeans and a pair of shoes, but that's it. My older son, on the other hand, is growing like a weed right now. Thankfully he isn't interested in the "cool clothes" at all. In fact, he likes striped shirts much more than shirts with logos and words on them.... I can get those on clearance at Target for just a few dollars each!

My daughter will be in preschool this year, but I tons of clothing that I have picked up on clearance and yard sales over the years in lots of sizes for her.

As for the school supply lists, I don't put much stock in them. I only get what they need, and the rest is just "fluff" as far as I'm concerned. (yea, I'm a rebel that way)

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ladykemma2 View Post
    yes.

i need tops and possible shoes.

for my classroom i need to develop new lessons which will require a lot of printer ink and paper. ouch.
    quoting myself
    i need underwear, bras, tops.

don't need shoes after all. need to polish what i have.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast