So what have you cut out of the budget to done to save recently??? - Page 5
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

We moved in next door to BF's sister and traded with her so we can use her wireless signal instead of paying to hook up our own internet, which is about $50 a month. It's great!

I also quit smoking just about a month ago, for health reasons and cost. I feel great and am saving tons!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

We did this last year when DH had lost the job he had, but cancelled our satellite TV and went to Antenna.

Make my own "leave in conditioner" by taking a small empty pump spray bottle (4 oz?), filling it about 1/4 full with hair conditioner, then filling the rest of the way with water. After I get out of the shower, I shake it, then spray my hair and comb.

I kinda do the same with liquid hand soap, I use a foam dispenser, put about three squirts of hand soap in it, fill with warm water and shake.

There are other things, but I have been doing them for years so they are not new.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Instead of going to get a full haircut, I gave myself a bang trim yesterday to go longer between haircuts. I'm really liking the results! Hope to be brave enough to try Polly's idea of the Creaclip soon!

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Well, I've seriously cut the grocery budget, but it's hard to tell because we've had to add in the cost of diapers. So, what I've cut with food, we've regained with diapers, so it seems to all even out in the end. However, I guess it's a good thing, because the diapers aren't costing us "over" what we used to spend, AND, we'll now get baby bucks with every $150 we spend on baby products, we'll get a $10 off certificate for our next order. So, that's a plus. And, we need the diapers, so that's that.

I've also been making everyone's lunches from scratch (which I've always done) including dh, (which I used to be a bit lax on), so now dh isn't having a day or two a week where he goes and buys something. This will keep the credit card bill down.

Also, no more take-out or going out, which we were doing pretty regularly by the end of my pregnancy. I was just too wiped to cook. Being un-pregnant and home, I am much more energized to make dinner every night. More savings on the credit card.

I'm not really driving anywhere right now, although I'm cleared to start again next week, so I'll be heading out every morning to drop two kids off at school (the 3rd takes the bus...long story) and picking them up with two separate pick-ups in the afternoon (he at 1:00, she at 3:20). So, that will be using some gas, which I'm not thrilled about.

The biggest savings is that we pulled our 5 year old from daycare, and he is now just going to his nursery school class from 9-1. Our monthly payment went from $978 to $418. Huge savings! I would just keep him home full-time, but he's going to kindergarten next year, and as an educator, I think he needs Pre-K to help him get ready. Also, it's good for him to be with friends, not just me, all day. If things get too tight, we can revisit that.

I hope to start teaching piano again next week or so, and that will start to bring in some $$, as I stop getting paid next week. I'm out of work until May 23rd, and while they do hold my job for me, I don't get paid (as it should be) so we've been doing some seriously considering of the budget and belt tightening.

I've enjoyed reading everyone else's responses. Gives me some ideas for further stretching and savings!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Amy, have you considered using cloth diapers while you are home?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

We just started so:

-eating lunch/dinner at home
    -bringing lunch to work (I've always done this)
    -making one weekly grocery shopping/errand trip
    -using the library (and staying away from Amazon and Book store!)
    -reusing cat litter receptacles (We have a Litter Maid cat box that self sweeps and the receptacle refills are pricey)
    -cancelled cable and went to satellite
    -use Vonage for home phone (but may cancel altogether)
    -use my health insurance (costs about the same, but much lower co-pays)
    -switched from premium brand shampoo and conditioner to BJ's brand
    -Trying to cut back on electrical usage by unplugging appliances when not in use

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

We've cut the bottled water habit, we have well water so we still have to buy water, I've switched to the $.37/gallon water sold at Wal-mart(the jugs are reusable so I'm reducing my waste/garbage cost and saving the environment) I've been cooking more from home and stuff. DH is a little stir crazy so I'm trying to find him some home entertainment.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by Keildra View Post
    We've cut the bottled water habit, we have well water so we still have to buy water, I've switched to the $.37/gallon water sold at Wal-mart(the jugs are reusable so I'm reducing my waste/garbage cost and saving the environment) I've been cooking more from home and stuff. DH is a little stir crazy so I'm trying to find him some home entertainment.
    Is there something wrong with your well water that makes it unsafe? Have you thought of filtering it?

A 50% off savings for me today. I needed a new pillow. I like a certain type. I found it for a little less than 1/2 the price of the chiropractor with free shipping on ebay. Yeah!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bumplett View Post
    Amy, have you considered using cloth diapers while you are home?
    Bumplett,
    No, I haven't. There are some things that are just worth the cost for me, and disposable diapers are one of them. With 6 of us, I do so much laundry, I can't imagine adding diapers to the load. Sometimes we have threads on "non-negotiables" here at the village. For me, disposable diapers are a non-negotiable.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by nodmicks View Post
    Is there something wrong with your well water that makes it unsafe? Have you thought of filtering it?
    I don't know if there's anything wrong with it but MIL freaks out every time any one mentions drinking the water. She said she's never used the well water and she's lived here for 20 years. FIL shocks the well but he doesn't do it regularly and he refuses to show anyone else how to do it.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by Keildra View Post
    I don't know if there's anything wrong with it but MIL freaks out every time any one mentions drinking the water. She said she's never used the well water and she's lived here for 20 years. FIL shocks the well but he doesn't do it regularly and he refuses to show anyone else how to do it.
    You might want to look into a reverse osmosis system or a Berkey ( I have the big Berkey and love love love it). It will pay for itself right away. You can never be too safe if you doubt your water.

I am not on a well so you might be better off with a system in house then , but filters will cost either way and have never heard of anyone that has a berkey that doesn't love it.

http://www.berkeywater.com/start.main.html

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

We have had a well for the last 14 years. The water is awesome. If you have concerns you can have your water tested. We get ours tested through the county. We have never shocked the well. We are also in a heavy farming area.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Shocking the well is just putting bleach down it. I think it is like about a cup. Google it, I am sure tons of hits will come up.

We have well water. We have a reverse osmosis filter for the drinking water. We have an extra "thing" at the kitchen sink.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

We dropped cable TV. We purchased a nicer antenna ($50) and get great reception. We don't miss the cable one bit. I wish we had a cheaper alternative for internet. Too far for DSL and we don't like dialup.

Dh & ds cut their own hair. I trim my own bangs in between cuts, but I think I'll have dh trim the ends for me. I can't see spending $25-30 to have the ends trimmed. My bangs look fine. I've been cutting them myself since I was in high school.

We eat out less. I still need to kick the soda habit, but am trying to just do one can a day, instead of going to sonic for happy hour. We eat at home more and eat from the dollar menus when we do go out. We try to eat out as cheaply as possible.

We had dinner at home for our anniversary this year. The cost was almost the same as going out, but we had enough food leftover for 1-2 more meals.

My food storage is pretty good these days. I stock up when there are really good sales and it usually last until the next sale.

I bought lots of shampoo/condition at $0.69. I think there's enough to last a few years.

I did the same with laundry soap. It was $1.88 for Purex last fall. I bought 8 bottles and I still have 5-6 left. We don't have as much laundry these days, so it lasts quite a while here.

This year we spent the money and replaced our windows and got a new furnace. Hopefully the electric will be lower this summer.

We think twice before purchasing anything. I bought some clothes from Kohls on clearance with another %off coupon. I also had Kohls cash. After thinking about it, I returned everything. I didn't need it.

We're cooking with beans more. We actually like them a lot and it's easier than you think. I've had a lot of fun looking for new recipes to use.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Since gas prices are the biggest cost hike lately, I've been staying closer to home. I won't drive to the nearest big city for anything. Everything I really need is within 3 miles of my home, except the music store. I've gone to strictly ordering my piano students' music online, it's cheaper than paying the gas to go get it at the closest store. I used to volunteer for something that required me to travel quite a bit, don't do it any more, too expensive. I definitely buy more online, at least until the costs of that go up due to the retailers' added shipping costs.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast