So what have you cut out of the budget to done to save recently???
Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

So what have you cut out of the budget to done to save recently???

It seems many of us are doing more belt tightening recently. I thought we could start a thread to keep a running tab on what we are doing.

I cut off garbage service yesterday. They were charging $25 a month to come every other week. I can drop the same amount of trash at the dump for $8. Even if you figure in $5 a month for gas to get there it is still a savings of $12 a month.

I am reducing our grocery budget by another $100 a month to put that $ toward the graduation party in June.

I'm looking into changing satellite providers for a savings of $20 a month. I'm not sure on this one though as we would be under contract and I like the idea of being able to cancel penalty free if things got hard. pondering.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Good thread but we just got hit w/ possible layoff in 2 weeks so I have to think about it. I paid garbage service thru June so it won't be that.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Nothing yet but will be going over it today to cut some things, me and dd have been sick since Friday so I lost out on nearly a weeks Pay and with us only having my income to rely on I'd rather cut then dip into the ef.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

jas
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I am calling today to cut AOL, I only have it because ds needed dial up access at work (that was all they had) They just got DSL yesterday. I only paid 11.99 a month for it, but it is going. I have heard that I can still use my e-mail address, I hope I can or I will be going with my brighthouse one.

In nine weeks no more lunch money as dd is graduating. I am seriously looking into the brighthouse bundle seeing if we can do something there. We had a special deal that we got for a year, that will be up soon.

Not driving if at all possible. Watching what I buy at the store.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Unhappy

Good question I'm trying to find ways. Right now it is to shave some off in every area that we can. but that is hard.

Trash is one we can not cut down or out. it is required and the price is set my the city that provides it.

We did change our home phone and cellphone plan to better fit us and the rest went into debt reduction.

If the debt was paid off that would be wonderful. Somethings I think about all I could do with the money we are paying to it.

It is frustrating a lot of the time.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by jas View Post
    I am calling today to cut AOL, I only have it because ds needed dial up access at work (that was all they had) They just got DSL yesterday. I only paid 11.99 a month for it, but it is going. I have heard that I can still use my e-mail address, I hope I can or I will be going with my brighthouse one.

In nine weeks no more lunch money as dd is graduating. I am seriously looking into the brighthouse bundle seeing if we can do something there. We had a special deal that we got for a year, that will be up soon.

Not driving if at all possible. Watching what I buy at the store.
    Yes you are still able to use your AOL email addresses. AOL, just like yahoo has free email addresses. You weren't even paying for the addresses when you were paying AOL, you just were paying the dialup cost.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I keep trying to cut down on the NUMBER of things I buy (and need) around the house. Like instead of so many cleaning products, opting for an all-purpose cleaner, watered down in a spray bottle for almost all tasks. My grandmother was satisfied with one can of 'Old Dutch Cleanser', rather than the 3 types (ODC, bonami, and comet) that I always thought I had to have, LOL. A drop of all-purpose/drop of ammonia/lots of water...makes a great window cleaner.

Also the number of bath and beauty stuff. I've gone back to bar soap, cause I just plain think it goes further. I grew up on it, so I don't think it's 'gross' like some people do. Old fashioned Prell shampoo, because it gets my hair CLEAN rather than gunked up with all of those moisturizers and stuff. Stays clean longer...less shampoo used. And you need less shampoo with this brand-- a 1/2 tsp will do a lot of lather. No conditioner. I figure, how much help can conditioner be if you rinse it out? A tube of VO5 (my Mom used it to smooth her hair)--goes a loooong way for less wasted $$. A little dab'll do ya. Lasts forever. Not greasy.

Anyway, all of this cutting back and

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

-Simplified my dogs' and parrots' diets by eliminating some of their treats.
    -Shopped at Goodwill for summer shirts instead of Ross or department store.
    -Gave up Keurig coffee pods (even when I have a coupon); we get free coffee at work.
    -Cut my allowance in half (struggling with that).
    -Totally eliminated stopping at Sonic for soda on errand day (even during half-off "happy hour")
    -Stopped taking dogs to sport-dog classes (tuition was EXPENSIVE!); now just go to the park or country for a long walk and off-leash ball playing, which I SWEAR they enjoy more!
    -Started making parrot toys instead of buying them so often (they still get them on Christmas and birthdays)
    -Cut grown children's birthday monetary gifts in half (they haven't even noticed)
    -Trim and color my own hair.
    -Stay out of bookstores (my nemesis) and go to local library and out of district library to read magazines.
    -Plan out week to consolidate errands, ask friends if they want to come along so they can save gas (double duty here, too, provides a "free visit" with friends and getting errands done at the same time!
    -Invite my mom over to dinner to try new recipes instead of going out (she brings dessert!).
    -Using my vacation days at work for dental and doctor appointments, regular car maintenance appointments, etc., so I don't spend leisure money on my vacation day (used to go to the zoo on my Vdays), and I don't have to take off from work to attend to those needs.

jas
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Rhayne View Post
    Yes you are still able to use your AOL email addresses. AOL, just like yahoo has free email addresses. You weren't even paying for the addresses when you were paying AOL, you just were paying the dialup cost.
    Thanks, it will be gone for sure then.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I have stopped my weekly trips to Goodwill for books. I have been using the library and either reading what i have swapping books with friends...which i do but now on a bigger scale.

To save gas i have stopped my trips to a superwalmart in the next city over for groceries. Grocery shopping more locally and using more coupons.

Try to have at least one weekend day where i do not spend money.

jas
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by cab54 View Post
    I keep trying to cut down on the NUMBER of things I buy (and need) around the house. Like instead of so many cleaning products, opting for an all-purpose cleaner, watered down in a spray bottle for almost all tasks. My grandmother was satisfied with one can of 'Old Dutch Cleanser', rather than the 3 types (ODC, bonami, and comet) that I always thought I had to have, LOL. A drop of all-purpose/drop of ammonia/lots of water...makes a great window cleaner.

Also the number of bath and beauty stuff. I've gone back to bar soap, cause I just plain think it goes further. I grew up on it, so I don't think it's 'gross' like some people do. Old fashioned Prell shampoo, because it gets my hair CLEAN rather than gunked up with all of those moisturizers and stuff. Stays clean longer...less shampoo used. And you need less shampoo with this brand-- a 1/2 tsp will do a lot of lather. No conditioner. I figure, how much help can conditioner be if you rinse it out? A tube of VO5 (my Mom used it to smooth her hair)--goes a loooong way for less wasted $$. A little dab'll do ya. Lasts forever. Not greasy.

Anyway, all of this cutting back and
    Right there with you in this one. I am not big on having every kind of lotion or potion out there. I have tried to pare it down to the very basics. Both dh and I use the same shampoo, even though I wish it was a fancier more purfumed type dh does not like scented things so I just go with it. I use conditioner he does not so I get the kind I want there. Dh only will use unscented ivory soap, I use that but do have a bar of Caress that I use at the last for the scent. I wash with the ivory. Our shower is not filled with tons of products.

I don't wear a lot of make up usually just a bit of eyeliner and mascara, I do wear eye shadow when I go out, which is not that often. Very basic lotion.

I do have quite a bit of HBA things stocked up but it is limited to just the things we need. Razors, shaving cream, shampoo, cream rinse, some body wash, bar soap, saline solution. And only bought with coupons and sales.

We cut the dogs hair ourselves, she looked funky for a few days but it saved 30.00 plus dollars. I have started to make her food too. She was on pricy diet food from the vet, it just got to be too much. So now I make it once every 10 days or so. I know what is in it so no mystery there. Chicken, brown rice and veggies. She eats it up no problem. I vary the veggies each time, the chicken and brown rice stay the same. She has had, broccoil, carrots, corn, green beans she eats them all. I do try to stay away from a lot of the starchy ones just add a little of them.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Things we've done to cut spending:
    - canceled HBO, only had it while a show we liked was on, when it comes back on we'll get HBO again
    - buying more generics AND couponing lots more
    - cut back on soda and only buy store brand when we do drink it
    - only eat out once a week on saturday night (date night) and always have some sorta coupon for wherever we go
    - stocked up on shampoo/conditioner, body wash and deodorant, shouldn't have to buy any of those for at least a year
    - cooking from scratch a lot more, would like to get completely away from boxed stuff though

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by jas View Post
    Right there with you in this one. I am not big on having every kind of lotion or potion out there. I have tried to pare it down to the very basics. Both dh and I use the same shampoo, even though I wish it was a fancier more purfumed type dh does not like scented things so I just go with it. I use conditioner he does not so I get the kind I want there. Dh only will use unscented ivory soap, I use that but do have a bar of Caress that I use at the last for the scent. I wash with the ivory. Our shower is not filled with tons of products.

I don't wear a lot of make up usually just a bit of eyeliner and mascara, I do wear eye shadow when I go out, which is not that often. Very basic lotion.

I do have quite a bit of HBA things stocked up but it is limited to just the things we need. Razors, shaving cream, shampoo, cream rinse, some body wash, bar soap, saline solution. And only bought with coupons and sales.

We cut the dogs hair ourselves, she looked funky for a few days but it saved 30.00 plus dollars. I have started to make her food too. She was on pricy diet food from the vet, it just got to be too much. So now I make it once every 10 days or so. I know what is in it so no mystery there. Chicken, brown rice and veggies. She eats it up no problem. I vary the veggies each time, the chicken and brown rice stay the same. She has had, broccoil, carrots, corn, green beans she eats them all. I do try to stay away from a lot of the starchy ones just add a little of them.

Jas if it isnt too nosy why is your dog on a special diet? I was pondering this at one point for 1 of our 3 dogs to see if it would save cash. I just didnt know if she would get all she needed from it. She is on evolution lite formula to slim her down. 1/4 cup twice a day. She doesn't like it at all but she did lose a little.

Our other two eat beniful which cost me about $14 a month. Her special diet food just for her is $17.50 a month for the dinky bag.

jas
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by nodmicks View Post
    Jas if it isnt too nosy why is your dog on a special diet? I was pondering this at one point for 1 of our 3 dogs to see if it would save cash. I just didnt know if she would get all she needed from it. She is on evolution lite formula to slim her down. 1/4 cup twice a day. She doesn't like it at all but she did lose a little.

Our other two eat beniful which cost me about $14 a month. Her special diet food just for her is $17.50 a month for the dinky bag.
    To help her lose weight. She is a Yorkie, she is not super tiny though. She still looks small, her mother was bigger than her father so I guess she gets some of that from her mom. You can feel her ribs and she does have some shape to the back end so she is not dripping in fat by any means. I looked on-line for food ideas most said 30-40 % protien, 30% grains, and 30% veggies. Or 1/3 of each in the mix. I buy a large bag of chicken breast about 6lbs and bake it then chop it up. One bag of brown rice about 4cups made rice, and then about 4 cups of cooked veggies. Mix it all up and bag it into four cup portions and freeze. When she is running low I take out a bag the night before and it thaws by morning. We are still working on the portion size right now she gets A little less that a cup in the mornng and the same amount in the evening. We are certainly cutting back on any treats, but she seems to be doing well. We are trying to get her down a bit in the serving size. The measure is not jammed full and the food is not real dense so it may sound like a lot but it isn't really.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Are you finding it a big savings over the bagged food? Ours is a full sized doxie. She is 27.8 lbs (was 29.8 in jan). She is really fat! they want her at 18-19. I feel like i am starving her to death at 1/4 cup 2 x a day.

You know i'm thinking I could figure out the cals in the whole batch of what you make and check the cals on the bag of Evo and figure out the serving size! thanks for sharing!

I am back to edit as I noticed your siggy. I have a little yorkie ? mix and he is about 6.6 lbs. I noticed yours is named Lexi. Ours is Dexter but we all call him Dexi.

Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast