Not-so-frugal Vacation
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Unhappy Not-so-frugal Vacation

Well we haven't gone on vacation and I was already up last night worrying about the cost and impact on our savings for a new kitchen. We've put the kitchen off a year to go see the girls this year. They live >1500 miles away.

So I got up after midnight(!) and did a quick rundown of a new budget and analysis of savings till we get $20K - the amount I'm pegging for a new kitchen. By the time I was done we'd hit $20K by next summer, if we're careful with our money. The thing throwing everything out of whack is no money from a boarder, and my increased medical costs.

Our vacation costs are mostly prepaid or on CC at the moment, or waiting to be charged to CC (accommodations). I thought I was going to get this vacation for $3000. DREAM ON! It's going to come close to $6000, even with staying with relatives for 10 of the 21 nights. The fact is that hotels in Halifax are just plain expensive. DH and I also want to treat DD#2 and her fiance (who don't drive) to a couple short trips out to different parts of the province. I'm looking forward to that.

$1400 airfare (we're flying in and out of a smaller place for less)
    $1200 car rental (limit of 4200 km. DH is sure that will be enough.)
    $2000 accommodations
    $1000 food (we'll be treating people, plus food is expensive there, and I expect more eating out)

...and that's not adding anything we might like to do that costs money. I told DH we'll be eating on the beach a lot! One thing about taking a vacation in the summer. It is nice enough weather generally that you can use the outdoors as entertainment.

I tell ya kids, if you never want to see your parents again, you just have to move far enough away their budget can't take them to you often.

On an upbeat note, I'm setting myself a challenge. No unnecessary shopping on vacation. We'll spend it hiking and taking pictures with our new cameras, looking for inspiration for future crafting projects.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

But don't let this keep you from having a good time!

Can you lessen your 'requirements' for the hotel/motel and go cheaper? Take food to eat while traveling so you don't have to eat out. And when not 'treating people to meals'.....buy food in a groc. store and eat in a park or along a river.

Registered User monkeywrangler71's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Did you add in the cost of gas? Make sure you're getting an econo class car. Also, don't count too much on the weather. We've only seen the sun twice in May, and they are forecasting a cold, wet summer.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Have you looked into renting a private home or apartment? I am not sure where you are traveling, but a few people I know have done this recently... my boss just paid $59 US/ night to stay in Italy for 10 days when he visited family. He said the place was immaculate.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Everything will work out. Have a great time on your trip!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Sometimes money isn't the most important thing. It's also important to maintain contact with your children. This will be a great thing for all of you, and I'm sure you'll have a wonderful and memorable time. You can build the savings back up.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

At first every time we went camping I would think about the money and what I might have done with it instead but then I ask myself what will my kids remember more, our trips or something I bought them?

If something were to happen to your kids would you be glad you decided to remodel your kitchen instead of seeing them? Spend responsibly, enjoy every minute of it and consider it money well invested.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

It is worth the money seeing your kids. Try and eat 'in' as much as possible.... That will help but otherwise enjoy yourself!!!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Thanks everyone.

No, I didn't figure in gas. That's extra.

The type of car we get is determined by DH who is 6'2 1/2" tall. He has to be able to sit in it without wrecking his back by scrunching over the steering wheel. I think he said we're getting an Hiyundi compact.

FF: this is the cheap way for accommodations in Halifax. I got a friend to get us a Friends and Family discount for the Holiday Inn Express. It's still $120/night. He thought we should be getting $80/night. Apparently not. I think this will be the end of hotels for us when we visit. At least the Holiday Inn...course the usual nightly cost is $150.

The problem is the B&Bs, which are cheaper, fill up faster, and DH can never make up his mind to go more than a month or so in advance. Well forget it. B&Bs in Halifax are booked months ahead of time! The other hotels I booked for the trip are in Kentville and Liverpool and are $110/night and $100/night. Smaller centers mean lower prices. Plus a B&B in Sheet Harbour for $85.

I wish we could camp, but we're way past that now. With my health issues and DH hating camping we just aren't going there. We did enough when the kids were little.

MonkeyWrangler: yeah. First order of business is to go to MEC in Halifax for a decent raincoat!

gmarie: no, we haven't looked at staying in a private home. I doubt one would be available in Halifax. But it's worth a looksee next time. We often only stay a few days at a time. This trip we pass through once picking up kids as we go, and then stay for a few days a couple times either side of a trip to the Valley.

And yes everyone, I'd far rather see my kids than have a new kitchen. That's why we canceled the kitchen for them. DH has made me promise after this that we don't see the kids till the kitchen is completed. Our kitchen is in really bad shape.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I went to Texas last year in Oct. I could have stayed with my daughter, but they all smoke and I can't be around it. Plus is I wanted to lay down and not be bothered I could. I also took my neice with me and he 2 dogs. we stayed in motel 6. I went because I wanted better memories then when I had seen her last at my sons funeral. Sometimes you have to spend a little money to have those good memories. If you go over your set price figure its money well spent. Making good memories are good for you and your chilgren. Enjoy and have fun.
    Fern

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Have you considered a Hostel? They have private & family rooms and are not just a big free for all. Have fun!HI Canada - Nova Scotia| Halifax Hostel > HI-Halifax Private room with bath will run you $68 a night.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I don't know when exactly your going but I looked up some hotels on redtag.ca and found two for 84$ a night one was a future inn. I went away last weekend and used them to book my room.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Our vacation is to the Maritimes. We are careful with accommodations because of my bad back. One night in the wrong bed can wreck me for weeks. So we tend to pick hotels with very nice beds. I'm willing to pay for that...I guess. Actually, looking at the price of things I'm thinking we'd be better off flying the kids home for a week! Hmm...something to think about...

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by peanut View Post
    Actually, looking at the price of things I'm thinking we'd be better off flying the kids home for a week! Hmm...something to think about...
    It does sound like a good alternative. Would it work with their schedules?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Probably not right now. But their work has seasonal fluctuations. I'll think about it, because both of the boys are from here and have family here to visit. If we fly them in, surely everyone can take turns putting them up and feeding them! Might be a plan for next year...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast