House sitting?

Thread: House sitting?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Question House sitting?

How much would you pay someone for house sitting for you for 3 weeks? We're trying to decide. We're having someone check every day, and, alternatively, come stay in the house for 3 weeks to make sure everything is okay. We don't know or trust our neighbors to pop in on a daily basis.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

If its a true friend, they won't ask for $.

I guess its dependent on what you're asking of the person to do? Bring in the mail? Throw out the flyers to make it look like you're home? Water plants? Clean in your absence etc.

We usually ask a close family friend - who doesn't live too far away - to pop by on 'flyer' delivery days and toss them into the recycling bin (which is next to the mailbox). Depending on how long we're away for, we may ask them to hold our mail or we have Canada Post hold it. We also set lights & radios on timers in various rooms to make it look like we're home as well.

This is probably not in your budget, but if there's no one you trust - maybe try looking into a property management company to see how much they charge? They usually have bonded employees and are insured.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

at least $50/day if no pets...if pets, i say $75/day

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

My friend will move into my house when my wife and I go on a month-long vacation at the end of the year. He'll have to do the simple stuff: shovel any snow, water plants, take care of the cat, get the mail. He'll have complete access to everything in our house, within reason, and encouragement to eat whatever food we have if he wants.

It's unlikely we'll give him actual cash. However, we are very generous towards him; taking him to concerts, bars, feeding him. Heck, we let him live with us for free for a time, and then furnished the majority of his apartment. He's looking forward to getting out of his apartment for a while, having a pet again, and just enjoying the change of pace.

If we didn't have this opportunity, we do have neighbors that are responsible and reliable enough to check on things for us. Beyond that, I'm not sure what I would do. Maybe have my mom move in for a month, I don't know.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

We never leave for super extended stays, but usually one or two weeks.Our housekeeper stays so we do not have to kennel the pets. We have three dogs and two cats.The dogs have a fenced area for in and out, she did the cat litter boxes.We paid her the regular amount for cleaning her 10 days and then DH gave her $1200. That seemed a bargain because she was at the house 24/7 while we were gone.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Thanks everyone. I talked to some people IRL and have someone checking every day for $100 for the month. I told him if he wants to stay at the house to feel free to raid the cupboards for food. If he just wants to check in and water plants and take in mail, that's fine too. We'll set the timers on the lights as per usual.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

We paid someone $200 to stay at our house while we were gone for 3 weeks. But she took care of our 3 cats.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

We have no pets, so no worries there.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Peanut - that sounds like a good deal for you and him. We have neighbors who house sit frequently - am sure they do it for free since the homes are mini mansions either on the beach or with fantastic views - Wouldn't mind having such an opportunity myself!!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

i pay a trustworthy teenager on the corner "300 for 3 weeks" to visit once daily, water the plants, feed the cats, bring in the mail and junk on the lawn, and turn on and off random lights.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by peanut View Post
    How much would you pay someone for house sitting for you for 3 weeks? We're trying to decide. We're having someone check every day, and, alternatively, come stay in the house for 3 weeks to make sure everything is okay. We don't know or trust our neighbors to pop in on a daily basis.
    Don't know if this helps:

We are paying someone to come by 3 times a day to attend to our zoo of animals for 5 days. We are paying $175. (I will likely tip her as well as my zoo are my babies) She is arriving each time on my time-requests so my pets stay on their schedule. Each time she arrives she'll likely spend 30 min or longer just due to the tasks I need done for them. She is not staying the night and is not doing yard work.

Hope that helps!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

We decided to stop mail for the duration. So all he has to do is walk the property every day and water plants. Possibly mow the lawn while we're gone. We aren't planting a garden, so things should be okay in that department. It's just perennial beds he'll have to keep an eye on.