Savers Club - Page 3
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Savers Club

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

frugalmomof3: whom are you addressing? If me, then it hasn't been a short time. There's been a lot of angst and gnawing of teeth while saving over the years.

• Some of it is inherited money (the non-registered and TFSA). But that is about 10% of our net worth.
    • We save about 30-50% of DH's take home pay a month.
    • We have a boarder to increase our income.
    • We have my side business.
    • We only have one vehicle - a 20 year old Toyota. We contribute to the car replacement fund every payday.
    • We don't go on fancy vacations. When we do go on vacation we often stay/eat at relatives, as well as take a cooler of food in the car. Vacations usually come from "found" money - that is, money that is leftover from other budget categories at the end of the pay period goes into a "travel" fund. Gives us incentive to not spend money.
    • We simply don't spend more than we earn.
    • We paid our mortgage out seven years early...at 18 years. That was in 2005.
    • I stayed home (rather than work away from home) and focused on frugal activities that saved us big bucks over the years. I once figured I had to earn at least $21K/year clear (in the year 2000), in order to make it worth my while to go back to work. Why that figure? Because that's how much I actually saved us per year by the end of the first five years of being frugal.
    • I don't shop for things unless I need them. Then I try to get them secondhand first. Well, actually, if it's a once in a lifetime thing I'll talk to my friends and see if I can borrow it from someone first. My friends and I take turns borrowing and loaning things around each other.

Hope that helps. If you weren't talking to me, I hope Other Posters chime in with some of their ideas.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

It was toward the thread starter but I am open to hear everyone's story, all of them are so inspiring. I have learned through many many years of trials and tribulations that having money isn't everything. Be happy for what you have, dont spend what you dont have and just be happy.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

My Etsy store sold $71 profit over the weekend. Not too shabby if I say so myself. I would be able to pay my daughters water bill or help buy her groceries. I even sold out of a few things and had to replenish my stock. I look forward to adding more things to my store and I hope I have repeat buyers!

I finished a Penrose Tiles Placemat and cut papers for sales over the weekend and hope to have it listed by the weekend.

A little cash relights the fire.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by FrugalMomof3 View Post
    WOW! All I can say is congrats on a job well done. Please share how you accomplished to do this in such a short time?
    Hi FrugalMomof 3
    For myself (and I think for many, many of us), it actually didn't happen so quickly. LOTS of trial and EVEN MORE error before something finally "clicked"! We got in to most of our debt during my first maternity leave back in 2009-2010. We thought we were trying hard back then to pay it off, but really.... we weren't. What finally worked (2 years ago) was FOCUS. We were dead tired of carrying debt, and finally ready to actually give up the unnecessaries. And to PLAN for what we knew we'd want (ex. save $ slowly over a few months for clothes shopping that we knew we'd need come the next season).
    The debt came first. Like, Pay yourself first. We had a minimum debt payment (and it was a lot... we figured out the minimum we could live on for groceries, gas, bills... then planned a HIGH minimum debt payment) and made certain that that minimum was paid every single month. Any other "stuff" came out IF we could afford it or had planned for it. We put as much extra as possible. DH works long crazy hours (60-80 hours per week) in spring, summer, fall. We worked our budget around his lowest paycheck, and any extra went to debt. The biggest way we got rid of our last chunk of debt (actually, it was almost $13,000) was we sold our house and moved to a community that is cheaper. The house profits went to the debt, and it was finally done! We now live in a smaller home that we can afford on one income, and that includes savings categories.
    Hope that helps a bit. If you have any questions, please feel free to ask! Paying off the debt is possible, and if you're really truly working on it, it WILL happen! Just hang in there and work hard! And you're absolutely right... money is NOT everything in ilfe. Savour the important things... which tend to be free anyways, right?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

congrats Cricket!
    Peanut - cool business!

Nothing new here really. Just hanging out til after the weekend. DH and I are celebrating our wedding anniversary... with CLOTHES SHOPPING! ahhhhh! I can not wait. We both need clothes badly. We have next to nothing to wear. Our budget is pretty small, but careful spending will allow for enough I think! Plus my sister in law just passed down some of her jeans that are in great condition, so that takes off the jeans from my list. We've saved up (mostly from DH working Saturdays) for a couples massage, clothes shopping (at an outlet mall) and we have dinner reservations at a nice but not too expensive restaurant.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I think that you are doing an awesome job!!!!! You are doing great at meeting all your goals. Congrats to you!!!!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Had a pleasant surprise today. We had a list of things to do before DH retires. One item was new glasses for me. I have astigmatism in both eyes and the beginning of cataracts (ugh!). I currently have two pairs of glasses - trifocals for close (stitchwork), mid, and distance seeing, and a pair for reading. Well I don't do stitchwork anymore. The optometrist was trying to talk me into the new progressives. It would have been $650CAD for frames and lenses, with coatings. But I've always had problems with peripheral vision in the progressives, especially driving at night.

So I got out to the lady actually selling the glasses and she saw I had trifocals. She asked if I wanted to keep them. And she said they would be much cheaper. They were. BUT my frame on the trifocals is discontinued. She phoned the factory for me and they had 3 sets of frames left. She ordered one for parts for me, so I don't have to replace my frames, at a 50% discount. And the trifocals themselves were only about $250 CAD.

So...cost for the exam $138 CAD, cost for the frames $120, cost for the lenses $295. That's $553 BUT, get this, DH's work insurance covered $265 worth...soo...total cost was $288 CAD! This is a huge savings for me. Last time I bought glasses it was around $1000 for the two pair to come up with something I could wear in all the various situations I found myself in. So relieved to have found this optometrist.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

That's so great, Peanut! Always nice when a business is actually working FOR you, and not just trying to squeeze out every dollar they can from you.

Looked at our budget again, and decided we could afford to put $100 in EF, so I did that. It irks me we had to take money from it just when we reached our goal for this year, so I am itching to fill it back up asap!

Trying to stay home more often. Not being tied down at home (previously doing home daycare, I COULDN"T go anywhere) leads me and my little one out at least once a week, driving 20-40 minutes each way, since our town has basically nada for ammenities. It feels nice to be able to get out, but I tend to go shopping. Today we went tot he library in our town, it's only a 3 minute drive, so that is okay, plus it was a free trip Maybe tomorrow we work int he gardens to keep us busy.

Have a nice afternoon, all!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Hey everyone! How are you?
    DH and I had a nice time celebrating our anniversary and we stayed on budget! He also fixed my broken washing machine! Woot!
    Put another bit of moolah in the EF. Allllmost back up to this year's goal.
    Still waiting on my business cards to be done so I can put my product in to a local shop. I've been waiting a month now! Patience is a virtue. And I can work on my website more I suppose.

Hope you're having a good Monday!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

DH and I are shopping for laptops in tax free Alberta. Unfortunately they don't have what we want in stock.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Waiting on Friday to dump another $2000. in the bank. We should know if we have income then too.
    DH fixed my power window switch at Big Lots last night and took it apart at home again and reassembled it. So glad he's mechanical. I guess we saved minimum $35. for a new Amazon replacement or $70 at the dealer.
    Just paid my personal life ins. and the health ins. for another month.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Transferred our Education Savings for the month. Can't believe we are starting October already! I still love the start of a new month, with fresh opportunities (or rather, a fresh mindset). Go get 'em, everyone!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

happy October.
    Dh is officially out of work tomorrow. The service wants him but has nothing. So glad i have an 8 month E-fund. Did manage to drop the $2000. in and still debt free.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

We have got controll over the large posts of the budget now, and have some wiggle room. But this of course leads to waste. So DH and I decided we need some sort of tool to stay on budget, like an app or an online budget that we can both stay logged into. YNAB looks good on my phone, but is useless on DH's. EveryDollar is web based and almost perfect, but I'm not sure we can get used to the $ symbols. When you budget in a different currency, the dollar signs are really annoying. Also, EveryDollar is based on zeroing out the budget every month, we want to spread expences over several months (e.g. one month we might fill two tanks of fuel, the next month none. But the average cost will be the same).
    Debt: -$60 000
    Savings: $43 200
    Net total: -$16 800

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

gaja-I know its old fashioned but pencil and paper has worked for me since 2009.
    I do the zero $$ left budget (called every dollar has a name by Ramsey). Our monthly budget is set up in an anticipatory fashion at this point. Dh uses the CC which I have online and pay at least 1x monthly in order to earn points that give credits towards balances.
    Right now I know my yearly garbage pick up is due,next month is car/van 6 months ins. etc.

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast