Savers Club - Page 5
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 2345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Savers Club

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Bought three pairs of reading glasses for $22! I have progressives that I use when driving but absolutely hate them for anything else. Had my eyes checked and was told that the progressives were fine but that I could try and buy 'over the counter' reading glasses just for reading. It's like a miracle :-) Being able to read again without eye strain - what bliss! And the glasses look great - my boys thought they were from the optometrist.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

That's great momoffiveboys!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

It will be all meals at home today. Gotta get used to a retirement budget. DH is serious about springtime retirement. My friends and I are wondering how long he lasts before he gets bored.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by peanut View Post
    It will be all meals at home today. Gotta get used to a retirement budget. DH is serious about springtime retirement. My friends and I are wondering how long he lasts before he gets bored.
    Are you going to start living on the "retirement budget" to see how it goes? I think I would like to do that. That is really exciting for you that retirement is right around the corner! Does your DH have any hobbies he can do? I know my own DH will lose his mind in retirement if he doesn't have anything productive to do.

Added a chunk to our Christmas savings.
    Still on our no-spend. It is getting to me now. I caved yesterday and bought a Gentle Leader Halty for our puppy. She is a terrible walker on just collar and leash. I knew I should have waited another week to get one, but we were there (spending more money at the vet - second time this week - puppy has a UTI) and I have to travel to buy one anyways, so I got it. And it felt GOOD. lol! I got my fix.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Cares, we tried to live off $30,000 CAD this past April, May, June and did okay on it. Not great, but okay. It was unexpected expenses that stopped the experiment in the end. Thankfully we now know he has more than $30,000 to live off of. We have a lot of last minute things we want to replace, buy, and do before he retires. I am tracking them in my thread "Where Can I Cut?". So we are not doing the retirement budget right now. Maybe in the new year again.

DH wants to have a 'bridge' year or 'gap' year that includes a 2 week trip to Denmark. I so do not want to go. Partly because we can't afford for both of us to go, and it's more important for him to go to do the final research for his family history book. Read: I am going to be twiddling my thumbs while he does research. I don't drive stick shift and that's really all you can rent in Denmark, unless you have lots of money. And I can't ride bike due to back problems. So that's out too. Of course DH wants to go on bike hikes as well as do research. I am hoping his brother and my sister and children will go with him.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

In the anti savers club this month
    Cobra for Nov.
    hw treatment for the dog
    vet for the yearly for the other
    HW test for the third
    bought a new to us 7 month old car cash
    paid 6 month ins. for 3 cars
    DD's bday

hopefully the rest of the month will glide quietly.
    Did get Dh 2 new watches at a 1/2 off estate sale for $18. total

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Made the kids their costumes this year for $0! Thankfully, they both wanted to be ghosts... the kind with the simple white sheet! My SIL had a set they couldn't use anymore, and gave it to me. Cut it to size, cut a hole in it for their head, and ratted up the edges. Kids love it! We don't need to buy candy either because we now are in the country and no one comes to our door. I will miss seeing all the little ones at my door though.

I am signing on with a second store to sell my handmade products! Still working on items for my first craft show coming up in 3 weeks, so it'll be about that to a month before it goes in to the store. Really, really hoping to bring in some cash at the craft show. I want to pay for our son's martial arts fee.

Happy Friday and Happy Halloween!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Took the car in to do the repairs before I sell it to DD. Midas wanted $1300. Bell Tire did more for $545. I went out and got her a scraper telescoping brush and a mini shovel.

DH had a check for $860. come this week. He convinced me he was already settled up even though I thought not so this was a welcome surprise. Basically paid for the car repairs,both oils changes,sewer quarterly bill,the brush and shovel,Dh's hair cut,$200. for Ds birthday instead of $100. (he's saving for a car).
    And theres still some left. Very happy.

So no activity here regarding devils night so far. This area is usually good but I used to live so much closer to Detroit I never stopped worrying about it. Dh didnt want to go to a party at the Golf Club restaurant and used it as an excuse to stay home. Almost went w/o him. I made groc. Store pizzas instead. Woot!
    Going to try and make the chili tomorrow.

Got the special at the oil change place. He was trying to up sell but it was a no sale. I wont get a flush at a place like that ,new air filter,and the wiper blades are new except the back.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

We picked up money from the bank for this pay period today. We had $50 leftover from last pay period for the slush fund. We are transitioning to a 2 week pay period from a twice a month one. It will be interesting.

We aren't doing Halloween this year, so we save there. It's supposed to be raining tomorrow evening too, which will mean a low turnout.

Instead of ordering in pizza tonight I walked to the store to pick up the ingredients to finish off a freezer meal I had made and frozen a while ago.

DH and I tried to watch a DVD tonight but none of our DVD players are working. The bluray disc looks fine. All our electronics say they need to be "updated", but DH can't get anything to download. Grrr!!! We watched half of "Jupiter Ascending" on the Samsung bluray player attached to our TV, but it quit working halfway through the movie.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

peanut, our dvd/bluray player won't play blurays either because it needs updates, but won't update. I think it's "too old". My butt. It's like 5 years old. I am NOT buying a new player every few years. Gimme a break. We get by with regular dvds, they still work in it.

Spent almost $200 yesterday preparing for my craft table display. I will use it over and over again, hopefully actually sell my items!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I'm suspicious that's what's happening here with our bluray player. We decided to play it on DH's laptop and hook the laptop up to the TV for viewing. Worked fine. Got to see the last half of the movie the next evening.

ETA: DH and I have been really good about not eating out. As long as I make a dessert for him and the boarder we stay home. I haven't been ordering in pizza either. We are trying real hard to save money. I sold a rocking chair for $20. Should have asked for more, but it was in pretty rough shape. Total in our slush fund so far is $70. Hoping to save more from this pay period. Trying to avoid buying groceries and other things as long as possible.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Dh had his flu shot 100% covered this year and DD paid for hers at work for $10.
    So I saved $50.
    Let Costco go and saved $55.
    DD paid her $225. rent to reimburse us for driving her to work and food
    Used 2 more cases of the IAMs cat canned food I got at .20 clearance
    used a coupon for oil changes $16.99 for the Saturn and $19.99 for the van plus a few fees but i saved about $12. which pays for Dh's next cheap haircut.

DD got a glass sliver in her foot but got it out herself to avoid a $50. Dr. visit.
    I got the cat out of a tangle in the blind and skipped a vet check-minimum $20.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Peanut, I am trying to avoid buying groceries as well! Trying to stretch my 7 day schefule to a 9 day (or go every 2 weeks wit just produce in between)

FW WTG with all the savings! We skipped a vet check too. It was just to make sure her uti (that was barely a uti) is gone. Anoter $165 for them to do it? I don't think so. She is not peeing in the house anymore. She is fine!

I got an order to make! $25. I'm about alf way done. And working like mad for the craft fair. Can not wait! But so nervous. I hope I sell stuff and make some cash!

set aside some $$$ for Education Savings. a little now, a little later.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Just sold the Saturn to Dd for $2000. and she gave me $1500. up front so I am covered for COBRA for next month. That recoups the cash I paid out for the $730. worth of repairs.

Bought DD a bag of bread sticks,dip and a coke for celebration. Maybe a cake to congrats on her 1st car. ??

I think PITA/Tortilla grilled cheese tonight for dinner and canned pineapple. cheeeep cheep said the little bird.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

October was the first month we tried tracking all expenses manually. We have tracked via our online bank until now, but entering receipts has a large psycological element that we missed then. Tried YNAB and EveryDollar first, but they were not optimal for us. Then someone here tipped us about Google Spreadsheets. I have no idea what happened, but our food expences were cut in half! It was the first month below $1000 in years... (I know, still crazy high compared to y'all, but please consider that food costs twice or three times as much here than in the US).

DH is a bit like a child. I showed him how I had budgeted so and so much in "fun money" for him before new year, and that if he sold stuff (as in: stuff he has bought for hobbies earlier), his "fun money" would increase. The first thing he does is to empty all our slush funds to buy a thing that equals the total budget of "fun money" for those months. If he had waited five days, the pay checks would have been in, and he could have had cash on hand. Or even better, why not wait and spend it little by little? He says he is completely ok with not spending another dime on himself until next year. I don't believe him. Well, at least he didn't go over budget.
    Debt: -$60 000
    Savings: $43 200
    Net total: -$16 800

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 2345678 ... LastLast