Getting Back on the Wagon in 2016 - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I need to cut back on buying DVD's and books which means staying off the PBS and Acorn websites and out of Barnes and Noble. That's my personal money sink. I've gotten pretty good about not going into the craft stores for more yarn, though.

I'm also starting to do stash-buster projects to get rid of some of the yarn I have. Most of it, I bought myself but some was given to me. Since most of the yarn is acrylic, I'm going to make afgans and donate them to places that will hopefully give them to homeless shelters, etc., if I don't give them away to friends.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I made the first deposit on my 52-Week Money Challenge today! (I'm doing it in reverse ~ starting with $52 and working my way backwards week by week ~ because I think it's easier to come up with the larger weekly deposit amounts at the beginning of the year, rather than at the end of the year during Christmas shopping time.)

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

At work again today and making sure that I packed my breakfast and lunch and brought them with me! I am using up the rest of my flex health card for another pair of eyeglasses. It will be 90.00 plus dollars that I won't lose.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I started a .25 and .50 weekly challenge for the year. Using separate jars for each.
    It seemed more doable to me when the amounts get bigger.

The reverse idea is a good one. I might use that method.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I just want to encourage everyone here who is living frugally!!! It pays off so keep at it! My hubby and I have been living very frugally since our marriage and, although we made sure to have some fun trips (usually using airmiles) with the kids, we always had savings in mind. We didn't want our kids to be saddled with old parents who couldn't afford retirement. We are now at the point that, should my hubby lose his job, we will be ok and are so thankful now for having lived a frugal lifestyle. We still drive 9 year old/18 year old vehicles that run well, so that some of our savings can go towards third world need.

To the young people on this forum who have the urge to travel the world, my advice would be to travel but keep the costs very affordable. Don't ever go into debt to travel and put saving and giving as your top priorities. Read books from the library on 'simple living' to keep you motivated and find like minded people to hang around with. Forget the 'keeping up with the Jonses mentality' - we always told our boys that we were the Joneses lol....they all have great memories of growing up!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

count me in. fell off the wagon in a big way.

eating out - budgeted only for once a week - crock pot meals, freezing ahead, 10 minute meals
    focus on debt repayment
    conscious "no spend" days
    focus on maintaining what i have rather than acquiring more. a more "rich person" thing to do.
    conscious and deliberate eBay sales of excess stuff.

i am embarrassed to tell you how much debt i have racked up in my absence from this site... (hangs head).

ugh - rough estimates
    new car 15,000
    credit card 1 15000
    credit card 2 2000
    john moore home repair services 8000

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Thumbs up

I am so proud of everyone's progress!

I made the second deposit on my "52-Week Money Challenge" today. It was great to see that "$103" balance amount.

I am under budget for grocery shopping so far this month (I've budgeted $50 per week, and so far my tally for January is at $81.91 and I'm two weekly shopping trips into the month.) Menu planning + setting a firm grocery budget seems to be the secret for success for me.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

My 2016 Goals:

~ Lose 80lbs
    ~ Sell our house
    ~ Spend $80/wk on groceries (we are at $200/biweekly right now)
    ~ Get out of the lease on our Rav4 (stupid, stupid mistake)
    ~ Find a part time job I can do from home
    ~ Read 12 books a year
    ~ Reread "The Complete Tightwad Gazette" again

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

We really fell off this year. Part of our deck was destroyed in a windstorm. It was old and really needed to be replaced. The insurance paid 1/3 of it, but we had to come up with the rest. We've helped our adult children way tooooo much. Bought plane tickets for ds to come home for Christmas and that was way more than we needed to spend. He also wanted to go visit a friend too. That's all he wanted for Christmas. I wasn't planning to spend $1200 on him, and we didn't have it either.

We are cutting way back this year. Only necessities. Dh doesn't want to eat meat anymore, so that is going to be a challenge. We still have quite a bit in the freezer, but will fix that when the kids come for dinner once a month. We've cut that back too. The dogs are going on a diet and cutting back on their treats as well. Cutting back on wedding attendance. We get invited to all these weddings of people we really don't have a close relationship with. Unless it's family or someone that has real meaning in my life, sorry, no gift for you!

I need glasses, but the money for that is in our HSF. I also need some dental work. Need to check to see if I can use the HSF for that too. If not, it'll just have to wait a bit longer.

We rarely eat out, maybe once a week and we don't invite the kids to go anymore. It's just an "older" adult only activity for us. We've found some really good places that are cheaper. I've been looking for more meatless dishes and found some that are really good. He loved my cheese enchiladas! I'm trying really hard to use everything and not let it go to waste.

I have a penny charge challenge going. It's not just pennies. It's whatever change I find. Even dollar bills. At the end of the year I should have $671.19. I want to do $50/pay day too, but am struggling with that since money is tight because of Christmas, but I plan to get back on that and see where I can cut so I can save. If I can save all this, I'll have plenty of money for our taxes at the end of the year.

It will be a challenge this year, but I think we'll be fine.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by jettsmom View Post
    We really fell off this year. Part of our deck was destroyed in a windstorm. It was old and really needed to be replaced. The insurance paid 1/3 of it, but we had to come up with the rest. We've helped our adult children way tooooo much. Bought plane tickets for ds to come home for Christmas and that was way more than we needed to spend. He also wanted to go visit a friend too. That's all he wanted for Christmas. I wasn't planning to spend $1200 on him, and we didn't have it either.

We are cutting way back this year. Only necessities. Dh doesn't want to eat meat anymore, so that is going to be a challenge. We still have quite a bit in the freezer, but will fix that when the kids come for dinner once a month. We've cut that back too. The dogs are going on a diet and cutting back on their treats as well. Cutting back on wedding attendance. We get invited to all these weddings of people we really don't have a close relationship with. Unless it's family or someone that has real meaning in my life, sorry, no gift for you!

I need glasses, but the money for that is in our HSF. I also need some dental work. Need to check to see if I can use the HSF for that too. If not, it'll just have to wait a bit longer.

We rarely eat out, maybe once a week and we don't invite the kids to go anymore. It's just an "older" adult only activity for us. We've found some really good places that are cheaper. I've been looking for more meatless dishes and found some that are really good. He loved my cheese enchiladas! I'm trying really hard to use everything and not let it go to waste.

I have a penny charge challenge going. It's not just pennies. It's whatever change I find. Even dollar bills. At the end of the year I should have $671.19. I want to do $50/pay day too, but am struggling with that since money is tight because of Christmas, but I plan to get back on that and see where I can cut so I can save. If I can save all this, I'll have plenty of money for our taxes at the end of the year.

It will be a challenge this year, but I think we'll be fine.
    The biggest area where you could probably save right away is not going out to eat at all......my hubby and I 'rarely' eat out but our definition of 'rarely' is going out to eat maybe twice a year lol.... unless my folks pay or we receive gift cards :-)

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

We do plan to cut way back on eating out. We are going out this weekend for our anniversary and probably won't go again for quite a while. I have an anniversary gift in my shopping cart at amazon. I don't think I'll get it. It's not a necessity. I'll wait. I should have enough gift cards at the end of the month for it, but we'll see. I'm sure there are other things I could better use the cards for.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Went to the eye doctor yesterday. My insurance will pay a portion of new glasses, well basically the frames. The lenses plus copay will be $60 minimum. I think I'll just order online. I need a pair for everyday and then I have a pair for computer/piano use. I don't do well with bifocals. I can get 4 pair for less than $50. That includes 2 computer glasses (one for the computer and one for my church bag, one everyday and one with transitional lenses (sunglasses). I can't believe how much they are at the doctor's office. Just the transitional lens would be an extra $70.

We purchased two cars from a family member. Both are dead, probably need engine work. Dh will do most of the work, depending on what is wrong, we may just sell them as is and still be able to make a little extra money.

Still adding to my penny and dollar savings. Hope to be able to complete these and have more than enough money for our property taxes at the end of the year. Dh is working a lot of overtime. This helps a lot. He brings home extra $$ and also adds more to his 401k.

I'm staying on top of my surveys and swagbucks, etc earning a little extra here and there.

I think the thing that gets me the most this year is I'm clearing out the clutter. I took a big load to the thrift store. I was a little angry with ourselves for spending money on this junk. It was all in really good condition and hadn't been used in years. It's made me think really hard before buying something. I always ask myself, "do I really need this?" Also in all the cleaning, I'm finding lots of loose change!!!! Adding to my savings.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12