Getting Back on the Wagon in 2016
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default Getting Back on the Wagon in 2016

I know that there are still 2 weeks left of 2015, but I thought I'd get this thread going sooner, rather than later.

Lately my Frugal Mo-jo has been elusive, but I plan to get it back in 2016 by doing the following:

*Making a detailed inventory of the food in my house. My freezers and cupboards are chockablock full. But I need to know exactly what they are full OF in order for all that food to be useful.
    *Making (and sticking to) a monthly meal plan. Once I know what I'm working with, planning what to do with it is the next step.
    *Making (and sticking to) a monthly budget. My funds are limited, but they are sufficient if I pay close attention.
    *Starting (and using) a change jar. It all adds up, but that loose change won't help me reach my goals if it's scattered from pillar to post, instead of gathered in one place.
    *Bringing my lunch to work. Eating out is my Achilles heel. Eating leftovers for lunch is much more budget-friendly.
    *Completing at least 1 sewing project per week. Using my fabric stash to make Christmas gifts will save a wedge of money. But sewn gifts are not last-minute, so I need to give myself enough time to get them done.
    *Saving at least $1,500 as a Mini Emergency Fund by the end of the year. In case of a rainy day...(I'll be doing the 52-Week Money Challenge all year long, and topping up my balance to $1,500 at the end of December.)

Posting here regularly will help keep me accountable and motivated. Anyone care to join me?
    Last edited by kathirynne; 12-21-2015 at 03:45 PM.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Sounds like you have a great plan! I am definitely with you on watching what I spend on groceries (although I am already quite careful, in comparison to the typical family), and also just on "stuff". Our miscellaneous spending can easily get out of budget. Often.
    Good luck this coming year on achieving your goals!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I am soooo in!!! I have also gotten lax , buying more books although I have SEVERAL, eating out especially at lunch etc.
    1.) Time to return to a written in ink budget...having it on my computer does NOT work for me!
    2.) I also need to inventory my food stuffs
    3.) Returning to ONCE weekly food shopping
    4.) Avoiding the tempting big box stores which have everything as I spend WWWAAYY to much there
    5.) Reducing and combining my errands to save on gas
    So YES I am soooo in!!! I want to save LOTS of money this year as well as cash flowing a graduate degree.
    Blessed and Highly Favored!!!!
    From $78K in debt to debt free and purchased a house with 100% cash...God is sooo Good!!!
    New to me Car Fund $0/$15,000( Deleting this goal as God blessed me with a 3K reliable car which I paid cash for!) God is sooo good!
    Goals:
    Emergency Fund $2,500/ Bal $1,500
    Goal 10 pounds slimmer by June 2019!

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Red face

Welcome aboard! It's great to have some company on this journey!

In addition to the list in my first post, I will also be sewing small items to sell at holiday bazaars next year. A friend of mine is a regular vendor at several bazaars in the area, and last night she asked me if I would be willing to make some items to add variety to her table next year. I don't even have to go to the bazaars or pay for a spot; she said she'd be happy to take my things with her and sell them at her table. I have a ridiculously huge fabric stash, so any items she sells for me will be pure profit (which will help with topping up my Emergency Fund at the end of next December.)

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I'm in!! The main thing I need to do this year is not waste leftover food. It's not so much me as it is my older kids so I need to keep better track.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

1. Reduce eating out. Have meals prepared and waiting. More cooking healthy but low cost meals.
    2. Exercise daily. Am VERY blessed to be able to walk after an accident. Put on extra weight that is limiting my mobility so have to diet down now to stay okay.
    3. Going to do RV lifestyle. Have some carry-over credit card debt from trip to get RV, insurance, AAA & repairs. Going to hit this hard to get it paid down and cash emergency fund saved up for my travels.
    4. Study to get into better jobs, contractor/temporary employment traveling.
    5. Reduce my belongings so my spare guest room at relative's house and RV can be comfortable without crowded.
    6. Keep my travel, gasoline, food and camping expenses manageable so I don't need credit card for any overages.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I am SO in need of this thread and the encouragement! Count me in! Today is the 2nd day that I've brought my lunch with me to work. I told hubby that I'm not going to eat out for lunch anymore and we need to start doing the spending envelopes he suggested a few months ago. We are also moving this month, so I really need to tighten our belts.
    1. Take my lunch to work.
    2. Make my coffee at home.
    3. No more eating out.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I'm in. While I haven't gone back into debt, I have done way too much playing with my money and need to save more and spend less. I've always found this place so inspirational.
    • Stick to my weekly grocery budget, and while I loathe Walmart, I will do the majority of my shopping there to save money.
    • Stick to my pet budget (this is my biggest "black hole"; I spoil my pets).
    • No fast food at all. On "those" days that tempt the use of such fare, I will pull something homemade out of the freezer.
    Good luck to everyone! Happy New Year!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by Blissnsparkle View Post
    Today is the 2nd day that I've brought my lunch with me to work.
    Well done, you!

I brought my lunch with me to work today, as well.
    (I have enough leftover lasagna for lunch tomorrow, too.)

I also started a "stashbuster scrap" crocheted scarf for my sister as a gift for next Christmas.

So far, so good. Roll on, 2016!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I am on day 3 of bringing lunch with me to work and breakfast! I was really proud of myself today. We are trying to move into a new rental, so I really have to hold onto our money this month. Hubby is trying to push things, but I'm reminding him that I don't want to leave us in a situation where we are totally struggling. We will be moved by beginning of February at the latest I hope.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Eating out is a huge money pit for us! We are all so busy that it is just easier to grab something on the run. This needs to stop. I plan to utilize the crockpot often and work on making some freezer meals on the weekends when things are less hectic. I can pull a meal from the freezer to save time and money!

Good luck to all!
    ~*Michelle*~

~Wife to Rick~
    ~Mother to 3~
    ~Special Education and ESL Teacher~

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I have been tracking my spending for about 3 months to get an idea where our money is going..............figured out we are big time fritterers. i just shake my head when i see how much money is wasted. It doesn't seem like it at the time but wow.

So to start i am just staying out of all stores and will use what groceries i have already to save for at least january. If I do some meal planning and get a basic list of foods and hba I will need monthly i think it will save us alot.

I have alot of things to do at home so I can stay busy.

Registered User AspiringToBeFrugal's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I'm back on the wagon for 2016 as well. We're hoping to pay off some debt and get some more put into savings. I'm working on my meal plan tonight and figuring out some other money-saving measures I can take over the next couple of weeks.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

So Far, So Good!

Welcome to everyone; I'm so glad you've joined this thread.

This week end I inventoried the food in my house and made a meal plan (just for 1 week, because I was pressed for time, but I'm still counting that as a WIN. )

I made a grocery list and did the shopping this morning. My total for the week's groceries was $42.92 ~ which is below my weekly budget of $50, so I'm happy with that, too.

I also brought my lunch to work with me today, and started my change jar.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I am back on the wagon in 2016 in a big way. I haven't paid as close attention to the little things, and dh and I go round and round about how it's the little things that add up to the big things, and that's why we aren't taking trips as a family, etc. So, I'm in it to win it.
    Blog: http://amysreallife.com

Amy
    Wife to
    Mommy to 4
    Public School Teacher

Debt:
    Mortgage - $399,526.10
    Grocery Budget Challenge: $749.08/$800.00

Always remember others may hate you, but those who hate you don't win unless you hate them. And then you destroy yourself."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast