Throwing the kitchen sink at the mortgage - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

oooh, chicken salad! If I made that the kiddo would surely eat the last of the bread that is about to be inedible.

I don't think my personal island life would be that interesting: mentally balanced, introverted, single mom who works in an office. Yay! Lol! Nobody would read that!! Even wine night is done on the couch in yoga pants while watching re-runs.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

We used to eat chicken salad w/ saltines because the bread was gone. If Dmom baked wi=hich of course took hours we would gobble it up.

You might be surprised. A field trip to somewhere you thought was common or an event native to ther only. I was in Toronto scamming off dh's business trip of course before kids. I was waiting for the gardens to open and started talking to a woman who was fascinated by a squirrel on the tree. She was from L.A. and said no squirrels there. I mean squirrels,there everywhere here. She loved hearing about Dmom feeding them and how one played on my hammock and i'm thinking wow because squirrels here are annoying. my point being its unique everywhere but to those who live there.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Blah, I'm sick this week. Well, I was sick on Friday for sure and now I have the stuffiest head cold and cough. Good thing I made a lot of soup and its spicy from the jalapeno I chopped up and put in it so it kinda gets the snot moving out. Gross, lol! I have not been doing anything so far this week that involves spending too much money. Sunday night I ate dinner with my Grandma and family because my Aunt flew in. Last night I had that shredded chicken from the crock put mixed with cottage cheese, sriracha, cilantro, green onion and a drizzle of sesame oil and at it on trisquits that were on clearance from the store last week. I don't know why I bought them, I don't usually eat crackers or wheat and having them in the house is danger zone for the kiddo getting into them and having gut problems for weeks while he wheat detoxes.

Today is my Friday at work (I have wed/thurs off). I am going to clean house and sleep all day tomorrow. I hope the weather sucks so I don't feel guilty for not going outside. Thursday my sister and I are going to set our net for some salmon. I'm slowly filling my freezer again this year, I've got about 10 fish in there from this season. I'm hoping for at least 25 to hold us over through the winter. We are fish eaters for sure and if that freezer is not full by August I get nervous because we eat it about three to four times a month, sometimes more. I think tonight I'll finally make those king salmon cakes I've been thinking about. I won't even have to buy anything for them as I already have all the ingredients ready to go.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Looking forward to reading how your journey to pay off is going to go and what you're doing to achieve it. If you cut internet are you going to be able to post from work?
    I could cut TV easy enough. We've done it before but he wants it till it can't be done anymore. Me.. as long as I have internet I can be on here, facebook, talk to the kids thru FB messenger facetime, magazines, news, games, a crap ton of TV and or movies off you tube or some channels are still doing it without having to log in thru satellite provider. Also with internet and $9 there's so much to watch .. even new shows... if you don't mind being a season behind. TV no problem.
    Also our "bundle" is phone and internet. I called to see about taking the phone out of the mix and it was only $20 maybe? He wasn't even sure. Not enough money yet to rely on a cell phone and a medical emergency. Especially in our house where they happen. Dead cell phone or no reception.. can't chance it at this time.
    Bank of America is THE godfather of Hell with Wells Fargo running neck and neck. When the world ends the only things that will be left are cockroaches, Walmart, Wells Fargo and Bank of America. Not necessarily in that order. The order remains to be seen.

Challenges
    Coupon/Sales Challenge Feb
    $8.00

Grocery Challenge/Feb
    Goal $250.00
    Total $33.55

Eat Out No More Feb
    Goal 20
    Accomp/8

No Spend Challenge/Feb
    Goal 20
    Accomp 4

Change Jar 2020
    $

Christmas Fund 2020
    $

Registered User my4littlebuffaloes's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I think you are doing great and have a great goal. Hoping it works out!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Alaska, I just wanted to throw some encouragement at you! I think your goal is amazing, and just keep working at it - it will be so worth it! I'll be following your inspiration!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Wow - I can imagine you would have challenges living on those remote islands. Good job getting the needle moving on the last part of the mortgage. I know very little about your islands, other than what I googled, but I have lived on some remote islands in the Atlantic called the Faroes. It sounds like you have some things in common.

Food: Good job with the gardens and fishing. Can you do more to lower your food expences? Grow some potatoes, raise chicken or geese, go for other types of fish than salmon? Is it nets in the rivers, or sea? When you live that close to the sea and a lot of people work in the fishing industry, your view of a decent fish gets skewed. The smaller white fishes taste just as good, and you can get them by net, fishing rod, or even put out some traps for crabs. Do you have a boat, or can you join some family or friends and go ocean fishing? I grew up on fish and potatoes 5-6 times a week, meat was really a sunday thing. Also; berry season is here

Transport: 4 miles to work is not far. Can you make it a goal to walk or go by bicycle X number of times a month? The wind and the rain is a challenge, but you wouldn't have survived many days out there if you didn't have rainclothes. A bonus is that it would help you on your weight target too.

Internet: I would keep it, and look for ways to make money online. There are lots of legit ways to do that. I still get ~$100/month from the photos I started selling online when I was home with the kids. This flounder has made me about 20-30 bucks over the years: https://www.dreamstime.com/earning_d...ageid=13755309 If a book is too much, blogging can be another way to express yourself and get some income. Maybe you can enlist the kid? That way he can get some extra experience writing.

Electricity: have you looked at putting up a small windmill or some solar panels? We are further north than you, and can still get enough sun to pay for them over a lifetime. Island electricity prices are usually horrible.

Community: You probably know everyone - is it possible to utilize this? Can you order stuff online in bulk and split the costs? Can you trade goods and services with the neighbours instead of buying stuff? Can you buy meat directly from the farmer? Or, if you know any sheep farmers you could even offer to buy a motherless lamb and raise it over the summer.
    Debt: -$60 000
    Savings: $43 200
    Net total: -$16 800

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Holy its been a while! Still chipping away at the ol' mortgage. I need to get an accounting of where I am on the paydown and update my signature. Lots of changes in my life over the last 6 months. I met a really kind man, single father and we started dating. It's been nice. He has a 2 year old daughter, full custody. Mom is a sea turtle (laid the egg and left). I have been having a blast with her. I have a 15 year old son so having a little girl around has kinda been what I was missing in my life. The new Beau is from Hungary so I foresee a trip abroad in the near future. I realized the other day that my passport is expired as of last year, yikes! Has it really been 20 years? I am going to be working on getting that situation remedied and start a savings for that trip. I am also logged onto duolingo and learning Hungarian, lol!

We still have a boarder at our house, a young man paying $300 a month and working to get a job with company housing (a normal thing here). Biggest expense right now is heating fuel, of course, as its the middle of winter.

Anyways, gotta go....I'm at work and its time to take a lunch break.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Alaska-!!! the book seriously. Glad things are going nice. Your starting to remind me of a character on "Northern Exposure". My Ds is in Poland temp. and going to deploy in that region.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Apparently I am a twice a year poster! Just recovered my password and such to lurk the forums again. I need to start saving big time for a trip to Hungary that is for sure happening in October. I have a little bit of savings I can throw at it. Thankfully while we are there we will only being staying in hotels while in Budapest since his family will accommodate us when we are in his home town. That cuts the expense a little. I also want to take a side trip to Greece while there, by myself. A little solo adventure is good for the soul. Anyways, I'll log back on tomorrow. Just really wanted to brag a little about something: I found tampons on clearance at my local grocery, got a box of 40 and two boxes of 20 for $6. I feel so accomplished. Lol! I won't have to spend a cent on tampons for a long while now! Brag over, I'll be back tomorrow

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

So great to hear your updates, Alaska! Sounds like life is good for you at the moment Your thread is actually one of the reasons I signed up here, so i could follow along. As others have said, i think there's something to the book idea. Your posts are always so well written and interesting. I think you can self-publish on amazon now, too, so *wink wink*

Keep us updated, and all the best on your trip!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Updating! Haha, I feel like I should log on more often to keep my focus.

I made some poverty food on my days off this week. A big pot of goulash and a 16oz bag of black beans with some rice (I put lime juice and cilantro in the rice and its so yummy, I should have done that sooner). I portioned that all out so that we have grab and go lunches and dinners for the next few days so I don't have to cook or shop. I have some shredded salmon in the freezer I'll make into patties over the weekend for something to change things up so we don't get tired of eating that.

I also hit the meat clearance at the store on Thursday and got a pork loin for 50% off and deli chicken meat for sandwiches at 50% off also. I got my milk (2%) for half off also but had to pay full price for the whole milk for the kids. I budgeted $75 for the trip for the week and only spent $60.33 because the meat sale was so good. I also still have a lot of fish and chicken thighs in the big freezer but we get sick of eating so much fish all the time.

Last week I bought airlines miles because there was a sale. I almost have enough miles to cover my RT ticket to Seattle and the SEA/Budapest leg of the trip is going to be about $1500 RT if I don't find a deal. I'm hoping I'll find a deal. Z will be paying for his and his daughters flights. And we'll be staying with his family while we are there so there won't be hotels unless we decide to spend time in Budapest.

My car is broken *sad face* It needs a new transmission which we already have because we got a totaled parts car right after we bought the suburban that I drive. And to make matters worse the mechanic is out of town on vacation and has been for a month. So I've been using a company car for about a month now waiting for this repair to happen. Its been incredibly stressful. And Z has been working 7 days a week for a few weeks now 7am to 6pm on a construction project for work, yes he's bringing in more $$$ for vacation and bills but it means that nobody is getting days off from kids and early wake ups and the babysitting situation on Sundays has been a flippin' nightmare. The last two weeks I've had to have the teenager (boy) watch her and then I have to drive home for diaper changes because he refuses to change diapers. Brat. Hopefully it will all settle down soon. Last day of this construction project is the 31st.

A good friend just gifted us two huge garbage bags full of 3t and 4t girls clothes so aside from having to buy panties, sock, tights and shoes we are covered for a while on the clothing the toddler front. Thank goodness because even clothes on sale these days are overpriced for the quality. I will never buy a single thing from Old Navy again. I bought some summer shorts and t-s for the teenager at the beginning of the summer and the t's are falling apart at the seems and the shorts might have as well been made out of tissue paper the fabric was so cheap.

I am on pinterest (at work, shhhhh don't tell anyone) looking up frugal recipes that I can cook this coming weekend. My weekends are Wed/Thurs. I kind of want to make a lasagna but then again, for the price of all the ingredients I can just buy the Stouffers tray in the freezer section, lol!!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

You are making progress! It's exciting getting so close to the end.

Definitely come back more often and post updates!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Today is my "Sunday" and I am at home cleaning and cooking. One of my side hustles is making cannabutter and cannaoil (completely legal in my state) so I have a pot of cannacoconut oil on the stove rendering right now. I have to pay for it to be lab tested for quality and potency but mine has never failed. It gets sold to a confectionery that uses it to make edibles for boutique sales. I plan to use the $$ from those sales to help pay for my tickets to Hungary.

I'm also batch cooking for the week. I pulled some sale chicken thighs out of the deep freeze and I'm going to make mexican chicken and rice bowls for lunches this week. I also have 5 boxes of clearance Jiffy pizza crust and a ton of cheese in the deep freeze so I am going to whip up some pizza sauce and make some cheese pizza for tonight, and then the teen can snack on the leftovers for a few days. I still have a few meals worth of black beans and rice in the freezer so later in the week I can bust that out instead of having to cook. We didn't eat it all last week because my Boyfriend kept cooking things from his freezer and feeding us. It worked out nicely, I still have the shredded salmon in the freezer for salmon patties because we never got to it. The teen obliterated the goulash though and since it was such a hit with him I might make it again if I find ground beef on sale.

I am currently also working on fixing my non-existent credit. Fix or build...build. So I got a capitol one cc with a starting limit of $300. I will buy airline miles with it and that will get me up to enough to cover my AK Airline flights. I'm 38 and seriously...never wanted a credit card, so this is my first. But it's time to build my credit up so that I can finance either college or trade school in three years for the teenager. Its seriously the only reason I am doing it. I have a mortgage but its through a housing authority so it doesn't show up on my credit score.

I went berry picking (blueberries) yesterday and got 4 quarts. I was going to try and go again today but the weather seems shifty and the last place I want to be in a downpour is on top of a mountain. I make Jam out of the blueberries and then freeze some and put it in muffins and pancakes throughout the winter. The Jam is the biggie though. I hate store bought jam. And the boyfriend and teen go through so much of it, its so much cheaper to must make it myself. They literally eat if plain off the spoon like its jello or something, a few spoonfuls a night while they watch TV. Ya...weirdos, LMAO!!! The Teen will do half a spoon of PB and half a spoon of jam. Anyways, I have to put up double the # of jars I did last year because we ran out in February this year and I had to pull out frozen berries and make a batch to carry us through and I bulked up the recipe with store bought black berries from the freezer section.

Anyways, should probably get offline for the day and get my butt in gear!! Laundry is calling (all 1 million loads!!!).

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I did my grocery haul last night (was waiting for pay day) and budgeted $181 but came in at $153 (even after buying a box of wine!!). I forgot to get the bread loaves though so I have to go back on my way home tonight and pick those up so really I'll be at $159 when all is said and done.

I ran into a bit of a weird problem yesterday. I have lost a lot of weight in the last year, about 30lbs of it. And none of my clothes fit anymore. So I sold a few things from my yard sale stash on a facebook buy/sell/trade group so that I can buy some clothes online. I don't want to look frumpy when meeting my Boyfriends parents for the first time when we are in Hungary. JCPenny had a good discount code and I managed to buy mostly clearance items and still saved almost $30 off the total. So I will have three long sleeved v-neck t's, a cardigan and two new pairs of pants to take with me that will coordinate nicely with pieces that I already have that I'm just now starting to wear again because they fit again. I'm glad I banked those yard sale items for a rainy day, now I don't feel guilty about buying myself new clothes.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast