Frugal Village Forums banner

I need a boost of frugal motivation!

8K views 70 replies 13 participants last post by  Luv2BeFrugal 
#1 ·
I haven't posted much for quite a while. I quit the career I have had for over 25 years.Besides being burnt out as all get out doing it it killed my back. So we have now lost my part time income. Dh and I both went through surgeries and had ****** of this year off... so we took a hit in the pocket book. I got no pay from my part time job for the 7 weeks and dh got short term which is 60% for his 3 months. We bought a new rental property I am currently working on. I wont be going back to work until its done. Our first rental is profitable but we havent touched a dime of it. We are letting it build up in slush fund for the property. We will be doing the same with the new one. Its income but not income we will touch until both have nice " it all fell apart funds!" I have no clue what I want to do for a job as I've never done anything else! Needless to say we have been in belt tightening mode! I needed some extra motivation and came back to the trusty Village for it!

Ive sold a few things that were left in the garage of the new rental. It didnt add up to a lot but it needed to go!

#70 ·
I'm still loving the job. It is very different working 5 days a week part time Vs working 2 to 3 days a week part time. I have not gotten into a good routine yet. I'm finding I'm spending a bit more on groceries as I'm do it rushed after work instead of having a dedicated day to get everything done. Oct and Nov were higher. For Dec we are having a black belt month with the exception of all the Christmas stuff. Most of the shopping is done.

I'm watching the water usage. We had a guest use the hose outside. We didn't notice until over 12 hours later they had not shut it off!!!! Accidents happen but yikes!

We did end up pocketing a tad over $40,000 on the house flip. Since I won't be working summer I may contemplate it again. It was profitable but sure killed my summer. I won't lie I got so frustrated I say down and cried twice. I was so overwhelmed and exhausted. In hind site I should have hired out some more even if it cut profit.. To reduce the tax hit we moved everything to tax advantaged funds we could. Having g a bit of necessary work done to our place also.

So here to to a black belt Dec!!!

#71 ·
I definitely remember you, nodmicks! I haven't been on much for a long while, either...but, glad to be back! Dh and I moved to Indiana 2 years ago. We've since bought a house and between that and moving, we've been ridiculously busy! Trying to get back to being frugal...not that we strayed too too far...just want to be more active about it. :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.