Are you cheap or just frugal? Here's how to tell
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Registered User Contrary Housewife's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Default Are you cheap or just frugal? Here's how to tell

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/06/22/are-...w-to-tell.html

Besides frugality being a good way to make saving for emergencies and retirement easier, 90 percent of people view it as an appealing trait in a romantic partner, according to a new survey by SlickDeals.com, a crowdsourced shopping platform.
    Stop trying to organize all of your family’s crap. If organization worked for you, you’d have rocked it by now. It’s time to ditch stuff and de-crapify your world.

If you're not using the stuff in your home, get rid of it. You're not going to start using it more by shoving it into a closet.

Use it up, Wear it out,
    Make it do, Or do without. ~unknown

Because we, the people, have the power to build a better future. KH

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Sometimes we do things that seem cheap for reasons other than frugality. The example of eating foods past expiration date being considered cheap. I hate to waste food so would consider doing this, not necessarily only for cost reasons.

Registered User Contrary Housewife's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I agree. For me frugality isn't just about money, it's about not being wasteful. And we know a lot of food (especially dry goods) don't suddenly go bad on the date stamped on the box.
    Stop trying to organize all of your family’s crap. If organization worked for you, you’d have rocked it by now. It’s time to ditch stuff and de-crapify your world.

If you're not using the stuff in your home, get rid of it. You're not going to start using it more by shoving it into a closet.

Use it up, Wear it out,
    Make it do, Or do without. ~unknown

Because we, the people, have the power to build a better future. KH

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I agree. Frugality is about not wasting. I'm willing to pay more for something that is better quality and will last.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I don't necessarily agree about the stuff on the 'cheap' list. To me, cheap is getting other people to pay their way in some way or other, like taking extra condiment packets at restaurants, mooching off parents or friends, etc. If you're doing something like eating food that's outdated, that's your own business and not for someone else to judge.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I don't agree with the cheap list as it's listed in the article. Calculating part of the tab down to the last cent is a bit much but the rest aren't terrible. Well, not leaving a tip at all is rude, more than cheap. But giving a gift I know I won't use to someone who will is frugal. Otherwise it's just going to sit there and be useless. One of my sisters would not only re-gift, she would send the gift back to the giver as if it was a gift she herself bought. Not a "sorry, I can't or won't use this" deal.

I agree with SD's definition of "cheap". Although I include buying things simply because it saves a few dollars, despite the fact that it will need to be replaced within a few months or the year. A 'disposable' mindset to shopping.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Spirit Deer View Post
    I don't necessarily agree about the stuff on the 'cheap' list. To me, cheap is getting other people to pay their way in some way or other, like taking extra condiment packets at restaurants, mooching off parents or friends, etc. If you're doing something like eating food that's outdated, that's your own business and not for someone else to judge.
    This. In a nutshell. I know I do a lot of things that is or would be considered "cheap". Like for an example my using store plastic bags for trash. To me... maybe not others... it's a no brainer. Why should I use ( and pay for ) bags when I get them "free" at the grocery. Also on the plus side I fill easily and get the crap out of the house quick instead of waiting to fill a white garbage bag or taking it out not full. I'm quite sure that's considered cheap and I really don't care. I've reused made coffee grounds especially when the first pot for whatever reason was on the strong side to begin with. I reuse those with half the "new" fresh out of the cannister. I would definitely regift.
    I think and SD said it well... cheap is when you cheat or take advantage of someone or someplace else. My mother always said better my pocket than theirs. I agree totally with this whether it's a little bit on gas or using coupons. I'd rather keep it in my pocket.
    Also as CH said... it's also about waste. More in landfills etc. I'm not a "green" person but I try where I can.
    Bank of America is THE godfather of Hell with Wells Fargo running neck and neck. When the world ends the only things that will be left are cockroaches, Walmart, Wells Fargo and Bank of America. Not necessarily in that order. The order remains to be seen.

Challenges
    Coupon/Sales Challenge Feb
    $8.00

Grocery Challenge/Feb
    Goal $250.00
    Total $33.55

Eat Out No More Feb
    Goal 20
    Accomp/8

No Spend Challenge/Feb
    Goal 20
    Accomp 4

Change Jar 2020
    $

Christmas Fund 2020
    $

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

You're certainly not alone about using shopping bags for trash. It's so common there are bag holders just for those bags. We have one that hangs inside a cabinet door under the kitchen sink. We also have a little trash can made to hold the handles of the bags. We use that to collect cat litter.

I regift, if the gift is something I know the recipient would want.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I usually keep some empty grocery bags in the car for various reasons. I use them when I harvest veggies and herbs from the garden. I may not keep them there when I get them home, but I use the bags to collect them. The grocery bags are easily compacted for stowing in my pocket as needed.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I fold some in triangles to compact them and keep them in the truck. They come in handy for lots of things. One always hangs from the glovebox door for trash as we travel.

We don't usually use our cloth bags when we shop while travelling. We have limited space in the camper so no good place to store canvas bags. The plastic bags we get from shopping go in a dispenser and get reused for our trash, which usually gets taken out daily.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Being that I love all things vintage, retro, and old-fashioned, frugality has always gone hand-in-hand with my daily living.

Frugality for me (in a sense) is my daily bread.

Love the survey!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I'm frugal. Must admit that at times I have been cheap. But cheap is just so negative, you know? It's taking advantage of others or not carrying your own weight. But frugal? Now that is altogether different. Frugality just goes along with my conservative personality.
    Spiritual:
    "You are fearfully and wonderfully made." Please... respect life.

Financial:
    Debt free, hoping to stay that way!

MY BLOG: glorybug.wordpress.com

1. Keep on writing.
    2. Get some balance in my life.
    3. Lose weight. Hopefully 20# this year.
    4. Continue to be looking for how God wants to use me this year.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by Spirit Deer View Post
    You're certainly not alone about using shopping bags for trash. It's so common there are bag holders just for those bags. We have one that hangs inside a cabinet door under the kitchen sink. We also have a little trash can made to hold the handles of the bags. We use that to collect cat litter.

I regift, if the gift is something I know the recipient would want.
    I am the same ..isn't that what the plastic bags are for and here most places you pay for them now so yes they get used. think it would be nuts to throw them away and then buy bags for garbage.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

We generally do use canvas bags for shopping, but if we're low on plastic ones I will leave my bags home and get the store bags. We don't go through trash bags of any kind very fast, so don't need many.

I have at least a couple dozen canvas bags. Quite a few of those also have spare bags stuffed into their pockets. We shop out of town every so often, and I often use all of them then. I even have a giant bag I can stuff all the empty bags in. It keeps them corralled in the back of the truck. I've gotten this shopping bag stuff down to a science. 😁

The best thing about avoiding store bags is we can put 3 gallons of milk into a bag and not worry about it breaking, or put heavy tools in sharp plastic packages in my bags and know nothing is going to get sliced open, or drop a 15 pound bag of bird food in a bag with handles so it's a lot easier to carry.

Last time I did a big shop at JA, I took along a huge Mountainsmith bag. It doesn't look big when it's all folded up. I whipped it out as the clerk was starting to ring up my giant pile of fabric and said, "I'm ready!" It just cracked her up. My stuff filled the bag, but I could easily carry it to the truck with no risk of flimsy handles breaking and dumping my stuff in the muddy parking lot. Love any Mountainsmith stuff. 🙂

I won't be giving up my shopping bags anytime soon.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

My canvas shopping bags usually end up being used for storing the yarn for my crochet projects. I have a more durable canvas bag for the WIP I keep in the car. They make it a lot easier to find the yarn I need for my project, particularly the wool-blend projects. I ball the wool-blend yarns so they're ready for us and it's easier to just keep them in the bags.

I use the plastic grocery bags for shoes during the winter. This way I don't get my work shoes wet, walking from the parking lot to the building and back.

If I get paper grocery bags, I use those for used tea bags that I plan on composting in the garden.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast