9 Home Mistakes That Are Costing You a LOT of Money - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Wow Kim, I'm amazed that your electric bill is that low for Florida. That's great!
    I'm too busy working on my own grass to notice if yours is greener.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

We won't get a programmable thermostat we don't like them. We have our thermostat set to low at night. When I wake up in the morning i gradually put the thermostat up until it reaches 80 degree's. We close vents to rooms we are not using and we use ceiling fans and floor fans to help keep rooms cool.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by Spirit Deer View Post
    We partially closed a bunch of vents for a while to try to force air back to the other end of the house. The 2 bedrooms there are always too hot or too cold, being at the end of the run. We started to have trouble with the furnace and the tech said that was why. Doesn't make sense to me but the trouble stopped when we reopened some vents.
    Your forced-air units are designed to push a certain amount of air with a certain amount of flow. Closing vents blocks that flow, putting extra wear and tear on the devices. You can close some vents without issue, but how many isn't something that's easily determined.

For the electronics, you can get smart power strips that turn off all devices while monitoring one plug. When the strip senses an increase in power to the monitored plug, it sends power to the rest. For example, your TV is monitored, while the dvd player / receiver / gaming systems / etc has the power terminated until the tv is turned on.

Agreed about moving the temperature all over the place. Unless I'm gone for a day or two, I leave the thermostat at an acceptable setting. My systems run less doing it this way then when I was adjusting for sleeping and work times.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Registered User Contrary Housewife's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mndtrp View Post
    Your forced-air units are designed to push a certain amount of air with a certain amount of flow. Closing vents blocks that flow, putting extra wear and tear on the devices. You can close some vents without issue, but how many isn't something that's easily determined.
    I don't know what to think about that. The vents in this house were modified when the basement was finished in the 80's. I'm not sure there was ever a "design" in the first place. After we moved in I upgraded to a larger AC unit, the original one wasn't getting the job done. Then we added an air filter. There's nothing left of the original system.

Our problem is humidity. The house is older and leaks, even with new windows and sealer around the doors. We have to run the furnace fan continuously to circulate air and keep it from being stagnant. This house was not designed for good air flow. There can be a 5-7 degree difference from one end of the house to the other. So the AC will cut off when it it 74 back there but it can be 80 in the living room.
    Stop trying to organize all of your family’s crap. If organization worked for you, you’d have rocked it by now. It’s time to ditch stuff and de-crapify your world.

If you're not using the stuff in your home, get rid of it. You're not going to start using it more by shoving it into a closet.

Use it up, Wear it out,
    Make it do, Or do without. ~unknown

A clean house is a sign of a wasted life. ~unknown

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Our house is 64 ft long and the furnace is at one end. The sewing room at the other end is always too hot or too cold.

We don't cycle our water heater off and on either, same reason we quit trying to cyle the furnace. Although water retains heat a lot better than air so it probably isn't as hard on the water heater.

Thanks for info about why too many vents being closed causes problems.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by Contrary Housewife View Post
    I don't know what to think about that. The vents in this house were modified when the basement was finished in the 80's. I'm not sure there was ever a "design" in the first place. After we moved in I upgraded to a larger AC unit, the original one wasn't getting the job done. Then we added an air filter. There's nothing left of the original system.

Our problem is humidity. The house is older and leaks, even with new windows and sealer around the doors. We have to run the furnace fan continuously to circulate air and keep it from being stagnant. This house was not designed for good air flow. There can be a 5-7 degree difference from one end of the house to the other. So the AC will cut off when it it 74 back there but it can be 80 in the living room.
    There's not necessarily a design for the house, but each forced air unit says how much air it was made to move. Depending on the amount of vents, length of runs, as well as bends in the ducting, all of those things can affect how well a unit runs. For Spirit Deer's comment about how her HVAC tech said closing vents was causing her unit to have problems, my first guess would be because she was limiting the air flow far too much. Your situation isn't about problems with the unit itself, it's more about getting the air into other rooms. If you can close vents to better direct airflow, without impeding the unit itself, then there's not going to be a problem. As I mentioned though, I don't have an easy answer on how to determine how many vents, and how far away, you can close before starting to cause problems with your unit.

I ran into this problem with my evaporative cooler. On low, I could just use the upducts in the two bedrooms of my house without issue. If I turned it on high, the airflow into the house from the unit was so much higher than the outflow through the ducts that the motor would overheat within about 30 minutes. Opening some windows allowed for greater outflow, and the unit operated fine on high.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

we don't have problem with our HVAC system and when the HVAC guy comes 2 check we get complimented on how clean the unit is. We just don't rely on on a/c and fans to help keep the house cool we limo tint on our windows https://www.google.com/search?q=limo...w=1920&bih=890 and it reduces the amount of sun that comes into the house. It's also great for privacy, you can look out but people can't look in during the day. At night it's the opposite so you need curtains so people can't look into your house at night.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12