9 healthy foods that are always cheaper to buy than make yourself
    Registered User Contrary Housewife's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Default 9 healthy foods that are always cheaper to buy than make yourself

https://www.wellandgood.com/good-foo...ealthy-budget/

I have to disagree with a lot of the conclusions in this article. For example, in #1, yes tahini costs more than ready made hummus, but you get a dozen or more batches of hummus out of the ingredients in the long run.

I feel the same about salad dressing. A bottle of good oil and a bottle of vinegar will make way more dressing than you can buy in ready-made form, and without additives. It only takes a few minutes to whisk together and it can be different every time.

Pho is stupidly cheap to make at home, and boiling a broth while you surf your phone is no effort at all. For the price of a restaurant bowl I can make a gallon of soup at home.
    Stop trying to organize all of your family’s crap. If organization worked for you, you’d have rocked it by now. It’s time to ditch stuff and de-crapify your world.

If you're not using the stuff in your home, get rid of it. You're not going to start using it more by shoving it into a closet.

Use it up, Wear it out,
    Make it do, Or do without. ~unknown

Because we, the people, have the power to build a better future. KH

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I generally make hummus without the tahini. If you look at the ingredients in many of the commercial hummus, they do not have tahini either.

I think in many cases it depends on how big a batch you are making and how often you are making it. For example the fajita spice mix packet that it just used for one batch of fajitas. If you are only going to make it once, it is cheaper than buying all the spices separately. But if you are making it often, you save money in the long run by buying the individual spices.

For most things, if you are making a big batch, it is cheaper to make it yourself.

I would agree about almond milk though. Unless they live in a place that has really cheap almonds.

I think the always cheaper headline is a bit misleading. Under not butters, they say "often cheaper." So it is not always. And under pho, they say buy is ready made because it is too much work to make at home. Not worth the time is not the same thing as being cheaper.

The time it takes to make something can be misleading. Soups can take a long time to cook. But you can be doing other things while it cooks.

If avocado prices go up, the price of pre-made guacamole in the stores will go up to. They are not going to make it at a loss.
    KathyB

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Tahini would probably freeze well to extend its shelf life.

Pretty much anything on that list most likely has too much salt in it for good health.

Trying to wrap my head around an RD who thinks foods with lots of preservatives is a good thing.

Seasoning packets like fajita are mostly sodium, which is a very cheap ingredient, with very little more expensive and flavorful ingredients. Having the ingredients on hand to make my own seasonings is way cheaper per batch, and I can make a very large variety of seasoning mixes so my spices get used up in a timely manner. I haven't bought seasoning packets of any kind in many years now, except what comes with ramen, but I throw those away.

I like making mixes. I probably don't save much or anything on stuff like cake mixes, but the quality and flavor are better. I make my own Bisquick mix and that saves a lot. My brownie mix is better than any we've ever bought. Making my own baking mixes helps use up ingredients faster so they don't get stale.

Olive oil tastes rancid to me. I know, that's weird, but I've been unsuccessful in acquiring a taste for it. I keep trying, but it does not hurt my feelings to use canola or veggie oil instead, and it's lots cheaper. I know, it's sacrilege, but whatever.

I made DIY zesty Italian dressing for the garden veggie salad for the trip, and it was better than bottled by far. Definitely a keeper. Love when that happens.

That article sounds more like people who don't want to do something, so convinced themselves it doesn't save money. Maybe they don't know how to shop.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Registered User Contrary Housewife's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Spirit Deer View Post
    Tahini would probably freeze well to extend its shelf life.
    I find it keeps for years unrefrigerated in my pantry. In fact, mine "expired" in 2017. It has no preservatives, either.

Olive oil tastes rancid to me. I know, that's weird, but I've been unsuccessful in acquiring a taste for it.
    One thing I learned recently is that "good" olive oil is very bitter. It tastes weird to me, too. I've switched to a "light" oil, later pressing or more filtered or something. Still olive oil, but tastes better.

I made DIY zesty Italian dressing for the garden veggie salad for the trip, and it was better than bottled by far. Definitely a keeper. Love when that happens.
    Home made dressing always tastes fresher to me, too.

Maybe they don't know how to shop.
    I think that may be a key point.
    Stop trying to organize all of your family’s crap. If organization worked for you, you’d have rocked it by now. It’s time to ditch stuff and de-crapify your world.

If you're not using the stuff in your home, get rid of it. You're not going to start using it more by shoving it into a closet.

Use it up, Wear it out,
    Make it do, Or do without. ~unknown

Because we, the people, have the power to build a better future. KH

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I made tahini and it got moldy in the fridge fairly quickly. Wonder what I did wrong.

I've more or less quit buying olive oil due to cost, not really liking it, and what seems to be a low smoke point. Overall it does not seem worth the cost. We don't go through any oil very fast, and having more kinds on hand means they all get used more slowly so a better chance of them going bad. As part of my new and improved food management practices, I'm trying to cut back on having too many varieties of things like oils, flours, etc. Olive oil is an obvious choice to cut for us.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I've never liked bottled dressings. Kraft is about the worst. I've never liked oil and vinegar, but I'm slowly acquiring a taste for them. I'm also starting to like equal parts of nonfat Greek yogurt and light sour cream or mayo as a base for creamy dressings, without an endless combination of seasonings to make a wide variety of dressings. I love that it's easy to mix up only what we need for a meal, too, so things don't take space in the fridge at home or camping, and the base ingredients get used faster. That's one reason I bring so many kinds of seasonings in the camper. We can have so many different types of dressings, dips, sauces, etc for very little space and no refrigeration.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

...without an endless combination of seasonings... should obviously be WITH.

I need to learn to proofread.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Spirit Deer View Post

That article sounds more like people who don't want to do something, so convinced themselves it doesn't save money. Maybe they don't know how to shop.
    I think that sums it up nicely. I have come across a lot of articles by people who like to think of themselves as frugal, but are really not that frugal.

I also see people that seem to buy into the idea of being frugal, but don't really care for actually doing most of the things that frugal people do. I think it is pretty easy to talk yourself out of things you don't want to do. But things like this are a disservice to people looking to be frugal. It is like having a fitness coach say that a vigorous workout is not really worth the effort.

I think there is a virtue in spending less money than you did previously even if you are not quite frugal. For example, if someone goes from buying all their food ready made to cooking half their food, that is a big deal. They are more frugal than before, but I am not sure if I would call them frugal or not.

It would be better if they were more honest and said the amount of money saved is not worth the time spent *to them.* Or they value this particular item more than they value the money spent on it.

Some people only want to do a couple money saving things but not the whole frugal lifestyle. That is a valid choice too.

There are levels of being frugal. Some are more frugal than others. There is no one right way to be frugal. Everyone has different life circumstances, different financial circumstances, different things that are important to them. I try not to be judgmental. This is not a contest to see who can be most frugal. But part of me thinks - these people are just posers.
    KathyB