Now I totally get why my father was so frugal - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by jettsmom View Post
    When they sold my grandparent's house, my dad found ball after ball of twine. In the "old days" I remember when newspapers used to be tied with twine before they threw them in your yard. These twine balls were made up of those pieces of twine from the newspapers. My grandfather saved them and tied them together. I remember my dad using that twine forever.

It's interesting that I've started saving different things. There were some ribbon pieces included with those glow in the dark sticks. I saved the ribbon. My dgd has used several pieces for her "projects". I'm starting to save old clothes to make new things or use for blankets. I'm not throwing things out like I used to. If I think there could be a use, I save it. If not, it goes.
    jettsmom you just answered my question i thought about making a post to see how many was saving things that they usually toss or donate.I have laid back a few things that i was putting in donation box since the virus begin.
    Goals for 2020
    1-No spend day
    2- No eating out days
    3-getting rid clutter
    4-menu
    5-stockpiling
    6-Grocery budget

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I have mixed feelings on saving old things to use for later. I save old clothes to make into things. But I am not a fast crafter. And working full time and having other hobbies cuts down on craft time. And I do not work exclusively with recycled fabric. I have new fabric I like too.

The end result is that I accumulate material much quicker than I can use it. So I limit myself to how much I keep.
    KathyB

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I'm definitely a jar collector. I bought a couple that are specifically tea jars (with a label "tea" on them) because I thought they were cute and for the easy to open tops. I think I'll keep the jars my herbal teas come in (the ones I get from my herbalist friend). I should either send them back to her so she can reuse them or for other herbal teas I get from other vendors.

But I do keep jars from other products, mostly to keep leftovers (especially soups) in. I've also been using the ones with tight lids for making homemade butter or whipped cream in. I use those for actually making the homemade butter/whipped cream in by screwing the lids on tight and shaking the jars. I've used some jars to keep powdered sugar in since the sugar comes in boxes that don't reseal well.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I used to keep jars just because I liked them, but when it got to be too much, I limited it to sets and certain types of jars. A lot of what I use now is mason jars in various sizes, shapes, and vintages. But I still like fun jars and have a few that are mismatched. My favorites are the vintage blue glass qts. I have about 20 of those.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

yes I keep some.. couple of basic jars cus kids want one from time to time. have to admit I have baby food jars still ! I always kept some because they were useful for crafts and schools etc always wanted them. and you can't get them now. but of course they are in the basement forgotten somewhere lol and I kept odd things like I got an advent calendar of bonne marie jams so all the tiny jars and lids I kept. but nothing is huge .. figure for some scouting craft they will be handy.... now my vintage tins ...lol like them

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12