Why you don't want nice things
    Registered User Contrary Housewife's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Default Why you don't want nice things

https://financialmechanic.com/why-yo...t-nice-things/

"We furnished our new place with pieces from thrift stores, yard sales, and sometimes things we found at the side of the road. It’s honestly a huge relief. Coffee cups can go straight on the table—we’re not concerned about ring stains. The cat testing his claws on the blue chair we found by the side of the road? Have at it."
    Stop trying to organize all of your family’s crap. If organization worked for you, you’d have rocked it by now. It’s time to ditch stuff and de-crapify your world.

If you're not using the stuff in your home, get rid of it. You're not going to start using it more by shoving it into a closet.

Use it up, Wear it out,
    Make it do, Or do without. ~unknown

Because we, the people, have the power to build a better future. KH

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Sounds like my usual attitude! I do have SOME nice things, but mostly I have things I can really use. Especially my vehicles. Buy them dented and stained and then don't care.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I like nice things but you can have them and still be thrifty ..nice doesn't mean has to cost $$$.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

in my current apt. I finally have things I picked out myself (not hand-me-downs). I consider them nice but got them at thrift shop prices. I agree, it's stupid to be afraid of your furniture. Living rooms are for living, not for show.
    Make America Kind Again.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I agree with the premise that new expensive things may result in more stress, but I strongly disagree with the assumption that quality secondhand or even salvaged things are somehow undesirable and a third-rate option, something to settle for.

I also disagree about quality vs quantity, although that whole section didn't make a lot of sense to me. We buy secondhand, but we don't buy junk. We don't even salvage junk, unless I know I can turn it into not-junk. It's not that hard to tell the difference between good furniture with solid construction and quality materials and laminated crap made of particle board. Good quality secondhand items can be just as nice as expensive new furniture and can serve for a lifetime with minimal care. (How hard is it to use a coaster?)

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Sometimes you can see something that currently isn't that nice but envision making it nice/r. I like fixing or re-making things. Like the breeze blocks I re-made into plant shelving and an bench over the summer. They looked like junk to begin with, had to chip off mortar and power-wash to look like something. Or re-make an old tablecloth into napkins and dish towels by cutting around the stained parts and hemming.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Exactly.

Upcycled stuff often has a lot of character new furniture doesn't, and older furniture often has better quality workmanship and materials than you can find new these days.