Lockdown, Leftovers and How Food Frugality Is a Climate Boon
    Registered User Contrary Housewife's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Default Lockdown, Leftovers and How Food Frugality Is a Climate Boon

https://www.usnews.com/news/world/ar...a-climate-boon

"Clint Parry ransacked every kitchen cupboard and scoured all corners of his fridge during lockdown in Detroit, hunting for lost ingredients and leftovers to whip up meals.

"We are using virtually all of our leftovers, where we used to waste food because we would forget to pack it and just pick up fast food on a lunch break," said Parry, who is married and works as a master model builder at Legoland in Michigan."
    Stop trying to organize all of your family’s crap. If organization worked for you, you’d have rocked it by now. It’s time to ditch stuff and de-crapify your world.

If you're not using the stuff in your home, get rid of it. You're not going to start using it more by shoving it into a closet.

Use it up, Wear it out,
    Make it do, Or do without. ~unknown

Because we, the people, have the power to build a better future. KH

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

This has been great for the climate in lots of other ways, too. Think of the drastic cutback in carbon emissions. Far fewer commuters, so lots less cars, commuter buses, school buses, planes, etc. burning gas and diesel. People working at home instead of offices, so less need for heating and cooling in office spaces. Same for other public spaces like gyms, restaurants, schools churches, many other locations. People aren't going on vacation or aren't going as far. Of course a lot of these things are bad for the economy in many large and small ways.

I suspect a lot of things will change permanently due to the drastic changes forced by covid, and now employers and can see advantages to some of the changes. It will be interesting what changes remain when this is over, and what old ways are revived.

I assumed our town would be hit hard economically, but I heard it was a boom year for tourism here. It makes sense. We're an easy 5 hr drive from the Twin Cities, only 10 hrs from Chicago. People come here and go into the BW where they see no one, or they rent a cabin or go to their own cabin away from other people. The real estate market is booming, too, similar reasons. More people can work from home now, and they want out of big cities or at least want a vacation place not involving airplanes and hotels. I'm hoping the ability for people to work remotely and businesses being willing to let employees do so leads to a small town revival.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I am still fixated on how one gets a job as a master model builder at Legoland.
    DH aka Mad Hen
    (http://mad-hen-creations.blogspot.com/)

Every time you spend money, you're casting a vote for the kind of world you want. Anna Lappe

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

SD,

I have heard that things like hiking, camping and fishing are more popular now. It is easier to social distancing than going to vacation in a big city. Plus lots of attractions are closed and events cancelled or virtual. So not as much point going to big cities.
    KathyB