What has been your best "SCROUNGE" deal, or stroke of luck Freebie??

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default What has been your best "SCROUNGE" deal, or stroke of luck Freebie??

We have two huge scrounge deals - I have been a professional scrounger most of my life - I can always see the beauty at the dumpster!!

We were able to collect for free over a very short time 170 sheets of 3/4" thick particle board in 6X 10 foot sheets - we have insulated and tacked up this particle board on every wall in our basement and are putting sheet rock over it - we have raised the temperature in the basement (before we pumped the heat down there) by 40º!!! Bruce is a trucker and they use these sheets for pallets and then just throw them away!! we can still get them and will be insulating the barn this way next.

The other big thing we got for free was enough ranching fence and chain link fence to surround 15 acres for pasture and make a corral and two chicken areas, a duck area, and a dog run. And we still have more rolls of chainlink!!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Nothing in ages. However before 1999 Dh worked as a garbage man. He brought home a vcr in a box, a tv, tons of cool toys, boxes of paperback books, bottles of full soap. It was great! Plus when Miller had a thing where you saved points we got enough salvaged points for a shirt, a jacket, a blanket and a chair.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Let's see:

$30 just laying in the ditch- found while we were picking up aluminum cans to recycle for cash! That was equal to a LOT of cans.

My aunt was going to take my uncle's car to the junk yard after he died- she didn't need 2 cars and she couldn't sell it in MO due to a small crack in the windshield. We took it and drove it for over 5 years before it finally died.

A set of dishes that a friend had dumped when she was moving-- I took them because I liked the different shape of the plates (octogons). I checked them out years later and found out the set I have is worth over $5000. Now if I could only find someone willing to pay that much for them

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Defintely my DH What a find he has been(most of the time)!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Renee- I agree with you-My husband has been a wonderful find that I "got" on the internet eight years ago- He is still in good condition, works great, and is pleasing to the eye-

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Filing cabinet (former neighbor put it out by the curb when she moved)

Pfaltzgraff baking dish (same neighbor put it out by the curb)

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I just got a 2 year-old freezer off of freecycle that works great. It quit on the previous owners and they weren't willing to look at it. DH cleaned out the motor and it's been running ever since!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Two years ago my neighbor's MIL passed, she was responsible for going thru all of her things and having a yard sale. I helped her sort and price. In return she gave me a set of high grade stainless steel bakeware *two pie pans *cookie sheet *two round cake pans, red handle untensils *potato masher, hand crank mixer, huge strainer, bottle opener/can opener and others (the really old collectible kind) which helped complete the set I had started and this really awsome old milk picture.
    My latest ??? it's minor but I bought packages of 12 crayola crayons for .02 at WM and a pk with 10 pks of the little purse size kleenex for .10. Crayons will be going to Bretts school for either the teacher to use or she may donate them to help with some children that may need help with school supplies next year. The Kleenex are MINE I've had a runny nose now for almost two weeks grrrrr