Saving Money Eating Right (Dollar Stretcher article)

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default Saving Money Eating Right (Dollar Stretcher article)

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I get so tired of reading "To save money, shop ONLY the outer perimeter of your grocery store!" The outer perimeter of my grocery store is Dairy, Produce, Meat, and Bakery. I buy dairy and produce every week, bread at the bakery outlet down the street from my grocery store, and meat ONLY if on a really good sale. What about rice, dried beans, canned tomato products, pasta, flour, oatmeal, frozen vegetables and frozen juice concentrate? Are those not healthy, frugal foods also? None of those foods are found on the perimeter of any store where I shop. I read this "helpful tip" in almost every article about saving on food. Fresh produce is not cheap, either. Buying frozen vegetables means alot less waste at my house. I can not shop for fresh fruits and vegetables every day or two.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I agree. However, the bulk food section is on the perimeter of my favorite store, so those are cheaper (most of the time!) than items bought in the bag. I buy all of my rice, dry beans, split peas, oatmeal and other hot cereals, tea bags and sugar free candy in the bulk section.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I have found that buying my bulk items at my health food store is much cheaper and healthier (organic). I pay .79 a pund for thick rolled organic oats vs .99 lb at the grocery store .49lb for most dried beans vs.69lb at the grocery store. The list goes on, but these are just two examples.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Lynn - You can get organic dried beans for 49¢/lb. - wow! I want your store! I get excited when they go on 'sale' for $1.19/lb. here. LOL

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Deb - Every grocery store all across the country is set up differently (and most people who write these articles don't take that into consideration - just like the ones who rave about double and triple coupons don't stop to consider that those don't exist everywhere). Even here you could go into one Publix and see one setup and then go to another one 5 miles away and see a completely different setup. You have to glean the high points from articles and then make choices for your family.