Entire frugal budget blown...
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Unhappy Entire frugal budget blown...

Well since my 1st hand surgery and heading to my 2nd tommorow my entire frugal budget is shot out the window. My food budget has jumped a $100 I had it down to a $150 a week for 8 people and 15 animals, now it is up to $250 a week. the kids are using dryer instead of hanging clothes, these were my 2 biggest saving areas, plus with the trips to wichita which is 90 miles away my gas budget is way over, and now medical bills are starting to come in so that is just adding to the stress, I am not sure how I am going to get back on track. plus my 2 gallon pitcher broke and one of my one gallon pitchers broke so had to buy replacement they are the thin kind that fits better in my fridge. I am just hoping after the surgerys I will only have to make the trip to wichita once every 3 months. I am really going to have to tighten the belt after I get back on my feet from these surgerys but not sure how I am going to get everyone back on the frugal wagon. Does anyone have any ideas on how to get things back on track, I am starting to feel very stressed plus I have gained some wight which for me is great, but now I have to get new pants, luckly found some at some garage sales but still frustrating it seems it is just one thing after another, thanks for letting me vent I tried talking to dh and he just says its okay we will get everything worked out but he usally just leaves it to me so now I am at a loss to what to do, thanks for listening, I love this place it has helped me alot and it is nice to find others that understand..........

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Oh, you must be sooo frustrated!!!! Sending lots of postitive thoughts your way!!!

Has the food budget jumped because you aren't able to cook or because you aren't doing the shopping? Could you still go with them to the store and guide them through the shopping?

Just an idea...Good Luck!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Master Dollar Stretcher aka DixieBob Dixie's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I hope things get better soon.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Hugs to you and I totally understand. Our budget is COMPLETELY out the window this month, every piece of equiptment broke down on us and cost us a total of over $1,000.00 to fix. Then the power went out for days and we used over 30 gallons of gas in the generator, but, we DID save all the food.

Sigh, is it July yet?

kj

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Have you tried having a family meeting with the older kids and laying it on the line how tight finances are? As was suggested here maybe go shopping with someone in the family so that you can point out the best buys to go into your shopping cart. Also have simple recipes that the kids can prepare that are low cost meals and snacks.

Best wishes to you. Vent anytime. We care!

auntie

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Give yourself time to heal physically, then worry.
    Blog: http://amysreallife.com

Amy
    Wife to
    Mommy to 4
    Public School Teacher

Debt:
    Mortgage - $399,526.10
    Grocery Budget Challenge: $749.08/$800.00

Always remember others may hate you, but those who hate you don't win unless you hate them. And then you destroy yourself."

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Oh Pam, I feel terrible for you -- I know you had worried about this.

With my oldest, I finally sat down with her one day and I had two piles on the table. One pile was my two pay stubs for the previous month. I explained to her that this was the money that we had coming in. THe second pile was the bills, plus the receipts for the previous months grocery bills and gas. I explained to her that was the money going out. Then I had her take a calculator, add the pay stubs, then begin subtracting the expenses til we got to the bottom of the pile. That left us with around $60 for the rest of the month and we discussed things we could not budget for -- medicine, silly little things that break, etc.

It was a complete eye-opener for her and helped a lot.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

i'm really sorry!! i agree with the idea to sit with your eldest kids and explain the situation...

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Pam, (HHHUUUGGGSSS))) going your way!!!U vent all u want dear!!! I'm still there, but its my hubby thats causing the prob. lol
    Hope u feel better soon, try not to worry, just get yourself better. Thats all that matters right now!!!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

First of all - take time for yourself to recover and heal properly. Dont try to do things on your own or you will reverse the effects of the surgery.

Things you could do in the meantime? Both you and hubby do the shopping together - have him accompany you. This shows him HOW you save the money that you do and to comparison shop etc. Just make sure he does all the physical stuff. Hey plus its QT (quality time) together no? LOL

Second thing to do - have a family meeting and straight up tell them that the budgets gone out the window b/c of the surgery and that you're not pointing fingers at them but you need everyones help to get back on track. Point out where the budget was overpsent compared to when you had it under control. Explain and show them areas they NEED to cut back on to help get you on track as a family again.

And flat out tell them " If we dont save up now we wont be able to do or have things later - you decide where you want this family to be." Give examples - little weekend trips to fun place, summer vacation, travel plans, back to school in the fall - new clothes etc. This may show them how serious you are.

But as someone else said - worry about yourself now and the rest later....you've come this far from being in debt before - you WILL be able to get back in control again - once you're ready.

Speedy recovery! *Hugs*
    Last edited by Libby; 06-27-2006 at 04:55 AM.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I'd have the family meeting and talk about what's bothering you....then I'd make detailed lists for everyone when you send them shopping (or go with them, to teach them what not to buy) and explain how important it is to stay with the list. You have to relax and heal so don't fret so much about what you have no control over. Things will get better soon and you can be more on top of things.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

But at least the things that are blowing the budget are temporary.
    That's the light at the end of the tunnel. You can get those things back under control.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I agree with the family meeting, and holding family vacation over their heads. If they don't tow the line, there won't be one...assuming you have one planned. You simply can't afford it. Truthfully though, those older kids should be learning about finances right now. So I too agree they need to be brought in on how to do this.

Basically I see the real problem of lack of support from your dh. He has great confidence in you, but doesn't seem to connect with his role in the whole operation. An "when you say this, I feel this..." session with him might be helpful. He may just be a typical guy...a little slow to understand his woman...

{{{Hugs}}} and heal well before taking on any work, 'kay? The sooner you heal the sooner you'll be able to get everyone back on track.

Jean

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

HUGS to you......

I don't have advice for you...but I know how you feel

We also blew our Budget this month.

We sold one of his car, so happy that we got some extra $$$ to pay down debt, and even plan on spending a little to fix up the porches. Well, on the way to deliver the car we sold....My Exhaust/Muffler blew....a huge crack along the pipe.....This cost us $400

BF other CAR (daily commute car) needs an Engine (cost us $950)

BF is an auto mechanic, he check out my car, and told me a list of things that need to be done so it will stay running as good as it is now...UGHHH...stress-out...... all the money that we just got can't go towards debt....

My car cost about $700 total to fix
    His cost about $1200 total

Oh, on top of all these...I have to pay out of pocket for my prenantal doctor's visits, blood tests, ultra sounds.....so here's a few thousands that I don't have....and will have to arrange to pay for.

But at least these are temporary.......emergency stuff........and I'm so glad we have some money to pay for it during this time..........This incident really pushes me to be more strict on my EF fund. (It's a REALITY check for me)

Thanks for listening.....Just sharing my story of this month....so you don't feel left out.....
    Take care of yourself..........hope you feel better soon

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast