We are moving Aug 10th, what do I need to do?
    Registered User my4littlebuffaloes's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default We are moving Aug 10th, what do I need to do?

And no our house has not sold. My sister is letting us live in her house there until ours sells, at which point we will find a house to buy. We just want to go all as a family. We just made the decision yesterday and I have 3 weeks to get packed and everything taken care of. I am very overwhelmed to say the least! I kind of don't know where to begin. Can y'all help me make a list of things that need to be taken care of before we go? We do have the truck lined up, we will load on the 9th. Keep in mind that the house is still on the market and we want it to look nice for showings, for as long as possible.

So what are all those random things that will need to be done before we go? Thanks for helping me figure it all out! Dh starts teaching on the 18th!

Jennifer

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Do you need someone to cut the grass and upkeep the lawn?
    I'm assuming that you will need to keep all utilities in your name until you actually sell the place.
    Call up and cancel your cable and internet and phone providers.
    Go to a local grocery store and ask for boxes, boxes that eggs came in are the best for moving.
    Ask a neighbor to keep an eye on your house for you.
    If you get the newspaper delivered cancel it.
    Forward your mail to your sister's address.
    Change your car insurance.
    Declutter, declutter, declutter, have a garage or yard sale and get rid of things you know you havent used in a long time.

Cant think of anything else right now!

Best of luck to you. I know the next few weeks will be very hectic for you. Hang in there! It all has a way of working out!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Hmmm, I don't really know. When we moved from PA to FL, last year, dd and I came first to set up house, and dh stayed at his job until I got us set up down here.

Hope this helps!

http://www.2c.com/wb_hrpages/hr_gen_moving.html

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I found these tips helpful when we moved cross country, although we weren't trying to sell at the same time.

http://www.flylady.net/pages/Flying_MovingTips.asp

Registered User Laurie in Bradenton's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I started by going throught the drawers and closets first. I packed up what we didn't need to use at this time aka winter coats, board games. These went into boxes and got stacked in a corner of our garage. By putting them out there they were out of the way. Folks looking at your home expect to see a clean place everywhere except the garage. Eat your elephant one bite at a time, or one closet at a time. Now is also the time to sort out those items you've been meaning to get rid of. Freecycle or donate them, don't trash them as our landfills are full enought.

Laurie in Bradenton

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

We are moving the weekend before you. We have everything boxed that we do not need between now and then (winter clothes, heavy coats, some linens and a lot of the Paige's toy's) And for the 4th or 5th time I am going to go thru storage boxes and throw some more stuff away that we don't want or need.

Sounds like the lady's have already given you some great tips. Good luck on your move. I hope it goes smoothly for you.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Eat up the house. No point in paying to move food. So stop grocery shopping and eat from the house for the next couple weeks.

Registered User my4littlebuffaloes's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Thanks for all the ideas! I have a lot packed, but there still seems like we have so much to pack! Saving clothes and toys for 4 kids adds up. Ever since we applied for the job I have been trying to eat from the freezer and pantry, but after we found out dh got it, I really got serious! I haven't spent more than $25 a week in almost 6 weeks. The freezer is looking empty, which is good. We do need to hire someone to take care of the yard, I have a boy in mind, I just need to talk to him (neighbor). I guess I can go ahead and call the cable and phone and let them know, also the milk man. It seems like there is so much to be packed at the last minute!

Thanks for the help!

Jennifer

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

No advice, but good luck with the move!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Change of address at the post office

Power Company

Telephone Company

Change address on all your monthly bills

#1 idea: give a lot of stuff away I did this last time I moved and it worked great.

Good Luck,
    leezza

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Oh, honey, I have moved a gazillion times and it never gets any more fun or easier. Here are some of my packing tips:

1.) Go through the closets and storage areas first, then relocate your packed boxes to the garage. Get rid of everything you can, and if possible do this without the kids, because they "can't live without" everything you want to throw away or recycle.
    2.) Once the closets are done, go through each room and pack all the clutter, all the knickknacks on the dressers, all the excess toys, any artwork or books (unless you are leaving the house decorated while you try to sell it, but it sounds as though you are taking everything)
    3.) Eat from your freezer and pantry (sounds like you already are)
    4.) At this point all you will have left are the things that you will use every day until you move. On the last couple of days, you will be boxing these things up.
    5.) Since you are going to be setting up residence temporarily at your sisters, you need to pack stuff you will need for the next couple of months separately in clearly marked boxes. I am assuming you will be storing the rest.

Best of luck, hope these tips are helpful.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Everything I can think of to tell you about pre-move has already been mentioned, so here is a tip for when you get the new house - move only the furniture and one box into each room. Leave all the other boxes in the garage and bring them in one at a time as you unpack the others. A friend told me this idea the last time we moved and it was wonderful. Not tripping over boxes made the unpacking much easier.