school fundraiser rant (but am I being a scrooge?) - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

~ I'd rather just donate money to a cause then to buy something at an over-inflated price, even if it was something I could use. I like to clearly seperate in my mind what things benefit me and what things benefit others. What's worse in my opinion than school fundraisers are the kids begging for money for their sports teams outside of Walmart. Sports are optional. And the 10 year olds I see asking others to suport their hobby could very well pick up odd jobs for that money. What kind of lesson are parents teaching their kids when they send their kids out begging? What kind of work ethic is that? JMO!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

No little ones in school anymore but I used to dread the fundraisers too. I used to think between the fundraisers, school pictures, brownies, sports equipment, school supplies and thoughts of all that Christmas shopping would drive me to bankruptcy. I am so glad it's over. If I couldn't afford it I just said no after awhile and tried not to feel guilty.
    I mention brownies because both my girls were in it. Their brownie leader was quite enthusiastic and thought her troop should accompany her on all her family trips. The last straw came when the day before Thanksgiving not one member of her troop showed up for a trip to disney on ice. I couldn't afford to send my girls and told her it was too much for some of us and that was why kids were dropping out like flies. She was a wonderful woman with boundless energy and a huge heart but she just didn't realize that some of us could not afford all of those trips. Whether she was mad or gave it some thought I don't know, but the trips stopped and I was happy.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by Laurie in Bradenton View Post
    I went in and told the teacher I did not agree with fundraisers and did not want my daughter involved. Instead I gave the teacher a $20.00 bill and told her to use it for her school supplies. Most fundraisers only give pennies back to the school for the amount of money collected. I told the teacher to call me if something special was needed and explained I come across alot of stuff. DD was embrassed at first but after I was able to come up with items the teacher needed she settled down.

Laurie in Bradenton
    Once again, I like the way you think Laurie.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I never appreciated that our preschool asked for nothing except tuition until I hit public kindergarten. This year we get a choice of donating a $100 and submitting the form for workplace matching which my husband's company does or selling all the wrapping paper, calendars and coffee cakes of which about 50% goes to the schools. I'm sure the PTA is hoping that families do both. This is how wealthier schools get even more for THEIR kids - by doing this public with family "donations".

Not sure how it is done elsewhere, but a significant portion of money for the schools comes from the LOCAL property taxes. Thus the wealthier the town, the more the taxes, the better the schools. I never knew this until I was an adult, I just figured the state divided the money and gave it out er child.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Hi girls, I have to totally agree with you about the fundraisers. I have 3 grandchildren and now that my husband is retired we don't have the extra money to spend on these things. Now that heating season is close to arriving I need the money to stay warm this winter. I don't say no to the grandchildren but we have to give up some things just to buy these cheap products. I would rather donate some supplies to the classrooms. This is a good post.

Monner 1

Registered User PennyPinchinPam's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I just wanted to add (monner1 reminded me) that i have no issue donating needed items to the classroom. My dd gets a bi-weekly newsletter from her K classroom and on it is a wishlist from the teacher. Two weeks ago the wishlist included hand sanitizer and tissues. We had no extra funds so I couldn't donate. In this weeks wishlist there was a request for Zip-loc baggies. I have the extra funds this time so when I went to the commissary today I bought 2 100 count boxes of an off name brand for the class. There is no pressure and I'm sure the teacher isn't tracking who gives and who doesn't. I also donate my time to the class every week so I'm giving in different ways than just money. But I still refuse to do the fundraisers. They are just junk.

Master Dollar Stretcher LastDragonfly's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I too am a former public school teacher. I wouldn't buy from my students because I had 2 kids who were selling the stuff.

I would like to point out that I can almost guarantee that before the flyers or catalogs went home YOUR child was subjected to an assembly to sell the stuff to them. The winner will get a boom box, mountain bike or something like that.

I can also guarantee that your child missed a core subject during the assembly. This is a soap box of mine and I'll try not to flip out or anything, but I urge you to keep track of every assembly, play day, "book buddies" (where teachers let older students interact with younger students--not lots of reading, but I can guarantee that the teachers have a good time too).

You will be horrified how little time your child has of actual direct instruction time in the class room... Oh well, send the stuff home as homework and let mom and dad teach 2 hours every day.

I hope I don't get flamed for this, but it is true. I've been a teacher in public and private school. Kids just don't have that much instruction time because of things such as fund raisers.

Ok, I've finished my little rant. Sorry.

I don't think schools should require the students to provide extra funds for them. It is not a kids job! Nor their parents.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by Penascodragonfly View Post
    I too am a former public school teacher. I wouldn't buy from my students because I had 2 kids who were selling the stuff.

I would like to point out that I can almost guarantee that before the flyers or catalogs went home YOUR child was subjected to an assembly to sell the stuff to them. The winner will get a boom box, mountain bike or something like that.

I can also guarantee that your child missed a core subject during the assembly. This is a soap box of mine and I'll try not to flip out or anything, but I urge you to keep track of every assembly, play day, "book buddies" (.

OH I Agree with this. It is a fact that the kids have to go to a pep rally of sorts where they are promised tv and radios if they sell X amount of junk. And I have bought in the past and it is just that- junk. I don't do it anymore, many other parents don't. There are always the few who would be appalled that you didn't go door to door peddling this junk to help the school. I'd rather give a monetary donation. It annoys me that they take the kids out of school time to do this pep rally. There has to be a better way.
    No one has said anything to me about not selling, I don't think anyone notices and it's none of their business anyhow. It is harder to explain to your child why they won't have a chance to win a television.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Gee, this thread brought back memories of skipping pep rallies to STUDY in the school library! WHAT a waste of time pep rallies are. IF you are into sports and school spirit, go. The rest of us would rather get our work done and LEARN something!

As for selling stuff, DSs are in Scouts and sell a couple of things each year. We sell popcorn and candy bars. The candy is 1.00 each and sells quickly and easliy. The popcorn is more expensive, but sells decenlty. However, the magazines, etc. that the schools ask you to sell are nutso! What a lot of overpriced junk!

I bought a book once in awhile for DSs from Scholastic, but the other stuff just bugs ms. Grrrr...

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I work in a private preschool and raising tuition is not always an option. We do fundraisers and NO ONE treats anyone differently if they don't participate. We have asked our director to please fundraise with things that are of good use for people or that they have asked for. We sell these wonderful gourmet apples at Valentines day, our parents ask for them as they are delicious, the company gives us a fair break and they are a usable item for those who buy them, I sell at least 20 at dh's office. We did the art one where the child's art is transferred to an object, because of the way those are done no one knows who did or didn't order and we don't give prizes for the highest seller. We don't to the cookie dough or gift wrap catalogs. We do offer pictures for the beginning of school, Christmas and Easter those raise funds for us as well.

We have fewer fundraisers than the public schools and they help out alot with our expenses.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

my daughters school does one main fundraiser of the year, the have lots of stalls with games, teas, homebakes, facepainting etc, last time i donated things because i couldnt help out on the day, it makes quite a bit of money because a lot of older people from area come. They have a book fayre thing too but theres defintely not stuff all the time, which is good because i just wouldnt buy a load of junk. They also collect peoples empty cola cans etc for funds. Ive never had to buy anything for her classroom either, i gave her her own pencil case and pencils but most of the time they use the school ones, things like schooling and national health service makes me glad i live in uk.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I'm sure the other parents hate parents hate me for it, but I won't waste my money on stuff I won't use.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I feel the fundraisers are usually extremely overpriced. However, when the children were small I did participate to a small extent. Now that they are grown, I admit to being a soft touch for the nieces and nephews who are involved in them. But lately, I find I order much less and resent it much more due to the high cost. I wish the schools would sell items that are useful and not so high cost. I have been known to not order an item but to "donate" a few bucks to the kids for a fundraiser instead. I am sure many of the teachers are not crazy about having to deal with this either. Oh well...

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

It would be nice if they would sell something of good quality, like Tupperware, if they have to have fundraisers at all.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I guess you can have a Tupperware fundraiser. Here is a link:
    http://users.ameritech.net/school-fu...-nonprofit.htm

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast