school fundraiser rant (but am I being a scrooge?) - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Registered User PennyPinchinPam's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Just had a Girl Scout knock at my door yesterday for a Xmas fundraiser. I told her no but to come back at "cookie" time. LOL!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

As far as the private school that charged an extra $100 if the family didn't participate - that would have been our last year there too.

This school is extremely small so on the plus side they have to spend less time on those transitional times and pep talks. There are 12 kids in k-3rd grade and they're kept together all day. I think there's only 1 3rd grader. So I'm starting to think they could use the help! I don't mind contributing to the class either as long as it seems reasonable. Like everyone else I'd feel better about the fundraising if the items were of higher value. I want to do the girl scout thing, and it being non-profit and largely volunteer I think I'd feel a little more generous.

I've been a lurker here for quite awhile but this was my first post (and topic!). I put it here in frugality because I'm trying to wean myself of this mindset that I have to contribute to every group activity and expense that comes along. Not just at school but with friends and family. Like do we really need to spend $$$ on Halloween decorations? And now there's a secret pal gift from the parents to the teachers. Sweet, I guess. But why not just cash??? And I have a problem with compelled gift giving. But those are whole other topics

Again, glad to hear I'm not alone on these things!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

In the past we also chose not to participate in these fundraisers, either as a buyer or seller.
    #1 My kids are a year apart, so they usually were selling the same thing. They wouldn't want to combine orders, so neither of them had wnough to win any of the worthless junk that were called prizes.
    #2 I didn't want to get into that ugly cycle of I bought from you, now you have to do the same.
    #3 I was actually embarassed by the high prices on what was mostly junk.

This year though we have moved to Alabama and don't know anyone, and since we wouldn't let them sell door to door, this has not been an issue. Besides, they already got us for over $200 in registration fees for the 2 kids. And this is a public school, with REQUIRED fees for things like lockers ($25) and classes that are required (computer class $50).

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I am dealing with this now! My youngest is in 7th grade (and I have a dd who is a sophomore in college so we have been dealing with school fundraisers for many years now!) and before the school year started we were sent an envelope to add a "donation" to the school in. It was suppose to replace school fundraisers......or so we were led to believe. Ds brought home a huge fundraiser packet 2 weeks ago! Dh and I explained to him that we would not be buying from this fundraiser because we donated at the beginning of school.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

OK. as a formal private school kid in dallas, ive got to tell you something.

youre not alone!

my parents paid tuition and for lunch. every field trip brought about extra expenses too. -- we'd get raffle tickets and car washes and garage sales and bake sales and the students (and their families) had to provide everything!!

usually, at least in my day, which was like... four years ago - the majority do NOT participate in these kinds of things. theyre thinking the exact same way you are. - youll get some parents and kids who are always involved and sell the most of this and that and have special awards but you pay tuition the same way they do and the only thing i remember was one teacher giving me a hard time about not selling enough chocolates. but i mean... what are they going to do.. send me home?? -- if they really desperately needed the money, theyd raise tuition.

pip
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I used to have all three of my kids in a small private school and all the fundraising was enough to burn me out. One fundraiser was to sell Entertainment books, I don't remember how much each book cost, but they were far from cheap. They expected EACH child, even from the same family to sell. I told them that our family would sell, but my kids were not going to compete against each other for the same relatives and neighbors. The prizes were cheap and tacky, too. Not worth the embarassment of hitting up the same people to buy over and over.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I'm glad I decided to read this thread. My son is in fourth grade in public school and I always felt guilty about not buying. So I would get something, but now that I know that others don't participate I will save my money unless it is really something I want. They have Fall and Spring fundraisers plus the scholastic books. He recently brought home a flyer for a field trip and the price was $15 On top of that my son said if I wanted to help chaperone the trip it was an additional $15!!
    My son is also involved in Cub Scouts which has another set of fundraisers. Sometimes the school and scouts have fundraisers going at the same time. It's a real drain on the pocketbook.
    I agree also that the supply lists are getting longer. What's the point of public school if I have to supply just about everything?
    Just adding my 2

cas

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I totally feel you, I always feel guilty because I dont want to waste the money on stuff I most likely will never used (my kids are in public school) but I also dont want to worry about the hassle of taking orders and delivery either, call me a scrooge IDC but my kids understand that I dont want to waste time and money for a measly prize I could purchase at the dollar store.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

me too i toatlly agree , measley prizes all they get here too at our school for them xmas cards they sold, and usually one or two kids come in selling $500 or more and geta big prize beacuse theyre parents hepl them sell to alot of places at work. etc. I acnt help it, im a SAHm, and hubby only has 4 people who work with him, I dont bug neighbours, sorry!!!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I cant believe the wanted to charge you to chaperone, our school is always glad of parent helpers, They are quite stricstabout the parent helpers thought and you have to get a disclosure scotland done to make sure you havent been in any trouble. which you dont have to pay for, the school or local council must pay for it.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Here the schools have taken out all vening machines with chips and candy whatever.
    Fundraiser selling candy bars for $1.00 a bar.
    I wouldn't let my son sell when he was in younger classes. Teachers got mad. Told them tough if he can't eat them in school , he isn't selling for school.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

This has been a sore subject for me in the past. I had a teacher single out one of my children because I refused to buy the "crap" they were selling. I will always bake, volunteer my time in the class, etc...When I think of the expenses for public school-property taxes, the lists of school supplies that one must purchase, the field trips, the costs to do "projects", sports fees-it is endless. I refuse to be guilted into this selling.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123