school fundraiser rant (but am I being a scrooge?)
My daughter started kindergarten a little over a month ago. This is a private school she started last january for Pre-K. The same say she started they sent home a Sally Foster gift wrap and holiday gift catalog for a fundraiser. Tomorrow is the deadline and I'm so not in the mood to buy anything out of it. Am I being unreasonable? Here are my objections:
1. This is just the first of many. The scholastic book "fair" is coming up, which is really just another catalog but on books that I'd pay less for. I believe this repeats in the spring. Then there is a spring carnival with auction of baskets provided by parents. Then there's a crafty thing they did last year where their artwork is transfered to magnets, shirts, etc. I expect something similar this year.
2. This is a private school. non profit but still private. Why not bump the tuition a little and forgo the guilt trippin'?
3. They don't provide lunches or snacks. Each kid brings group snack every two weeks. I'd probably send her own lunch anyway but I'm already spending an extra $10-20 a month to send nutritious snacks for the kids *and* teachers. I'm feeling nickel and dimed.
4. Speaking of nickel and dimed, and increasing my apathy, is the fact that her school supply list included things like a large pack of mulit-colored sharpies and a specific type of dry erase markers. Most of the usual glue,crayons, markers etc, were listed only as name brand items. I'm sorry, but are they letting 5 year olds use sharpies? I doubt it. MAYBE the kids are using the dry erase markers but I doubt enough to warrant making it an expense the family should bear.
5. Halloween is coming, as is our State Fair (whoo Texas) and the school is located in the planetarium at the fair grounds. Her class is going to fair some days, and one week during the kids will be on field trips ($$) everyday off site (zoos, etc, not at the fair). The fair is a tradition and lots of fun and if I'm going to splurge soon its going to be there. So anyway I have LOTS of entertainment and holiday related expenses coming and now isn't a good time to throw $20 away.
6. I've dumpster dived enough wrapping paper this year for all the gifts I'll be giving. I don't need anything and the gourmet gifts would be nice but I'd get more out of making our own and using that time to bond with my daughter.
I guess I'm just perplexed at WHY I should feel obligated to contribute to a fundraiser at a private school when I alread contribute so much? The supply list was LONG and not just your usual tissues and construction paper.
And will my daughter be treated differently if we don't contribute? She already stands out because I've let the teachers know to send her lunch bags home and we take the bus occasionally.
OK. Rant over. Commiseration or advice appreciated