Anyone from Indiana?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default Anyone from Indiana?

Hello...just wondering if there is anyone from Indiana - specifically Indianapolis area - that can share some info...

My Dh and I...and our friends (married couple with kids) are all planning to move to Indy next September ('08).

We've got some things figured out...moving costs, apartment rent, etc. But we're wondering if anyone can fill us in on the following:

Are property taxes levied by the city?, state?, county? Does anyone know the rates? Do they fluctuate from county to county?

What is a township? We've seen that on several websites...and on a few maps?

Food prices:
    Gallon of milk
    Loaf of 12 grain bread (or anything that's a "good" bread)
    Hamburger
    Chicken
    Dozen eggs
    (we're trying to get a feel for grocery prices...anything else you can think of off hand would be great!! )

Gas prices?

Electric cost (average) for a 1 bedroom apartment & 3 bedroom apartment (summer and winter)?

Who is the cable provider? Broad band internet? Telephone (cost of basic line with call waiting and caller ID)?

Any areas IN or AROUND Indianapolis that are really high-crime/dangerous - like don't rent an apartment or buy a house there?

What are the best frugal places to shop? Are there many dollar stores?

Anyone know wage ranges for Admin Assistant, bookkeepers, general office, etc?

Well, any and all info would be VERY appreciated by us all!!

THANK YOU!!!!!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I can help on some of these, I'm a little farther sounth than Indy, but some things are pretty constant throughout the state.

Township
    Think of it as a school district. Say you live in township A. Your fire department serves your township. The trustee (who can help with finances in emergency's) serves your township. Township B, C, etc has their own of these things.

The following is just going to depend on where you shop

Loaf of 12 grain bread (or anything that's a "good" bread) - $2 - $2.79
    Hamburger - depends on the fat content fatty can run $1.19, lean about $1.89 - $2.59
    Chicken - Frozen 3lb breasts $5.99 for bag; fresh $2.29lb
    Dozen eggs - $1.00 - $1.39 for large
    Milk - $1.99 - $3.29

Gas - $2.99 gal (as of 4/30/07)

You'll find a ton of Dollar General Stores, Dollar Tree Stores ($1.00 items), and you may even find a Deals Store (we have them in the southern part, everything's $1.00)

If you play your cards right, Meijer can be one of the best places to shop. If you've never been to one here's a little info. Right off the bat, alot of their stuff is priced like a Wal-mart SuperCenter, but I have found the quality to be much better than Wal-mart. Meijer is also a supercenter. You'll find clothes, movies, cd's, toys and such right there with your groceries. The whole environment is better than Wal-mart. Meijer is clean, the employees are helpful and friendly, it's just an overall better experience. They have double coupons everyday and triple coupons every 5-6 weeks. They are always having buy one get one free deals on stuff people actually use and their storebrands for the most part are as good as the national brands. They also carry one of the only Diet Grape Sodas I've seen and it is gooood. That's a plus in my book. I just bought 3 - 200 0z bottles of Dynamo Laundry Detergent for $12.99 w/o coupons. 8 lbs of boneless chicken breasts for $12.99. They have great clearance deals also. I got Chock Full o Nuts coffee, decaf, for $.82 a can, their store brand pop (they have lots of diet), which is good for $1.98 everyday. Got to Meijer.com click on weekly ads, type in Indianapolis, choose Indiana and it will take you to the stores in Indy, pick one and you can see the kinds of sales they have. (I'd type the link, but frugalvillage won't let me because I have'nt reached 15 posts yet.)

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I live in the northern part of the state. So, can only help in some areas.

Property taxes vary from county to county. So, that can actually be a plus when you are deciding where to live. I think Indinapolis is in Marion county.

In the northern part of the state
    Gallon of milk - average $2.79 a gallon, but there are deals around
    I agree with Sabrys on the rest of the prices for average groceries. She is right about the Meijer stores, except that I think their clothing prices are much higher than they used to be, but if you find a good sale on the clothes they almost can't be beat. I have gotten shirts for my DD, when she was little, on sale for $1.

It really depends on whre you live as to who provides your cable service. Most places have high speed, except our area. drat! Mediacom or Comcast.
    It also depends on where you live as to whether you have phone service from AT&T or Sprint. My BIL lives in Tipton, about 30 - 45 minutes from Indy and they have DSL service, so I am sure it isn't a problem to get it.

Sorry I can't be of more help.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Thank you so much!! There are just so many things that seem almost "foreign" almost. We figured out counties...we have municipalities and bouroghs.

I'll try looking at the Meijer website...sounds like you got some GREAT bargains! 83% fat ground beef goes on sale for $2.99/lb here. Sounds like bread is similarly priced. Milk looks cheaper (that's good...we drink it a lot).

Moving is such a major thing...especially from all the way up here. We had to put in for passports just to be able to drive down (thru Canada). It's about a 7 day (or so) drive from here to Indy. That alone is a lot to get planned out! We're just so excited, though!

The homes there are SO much cheaper! We'll actually be able to get into a house after about a year! Up here we would never have the chance. So, it's pretty exciting!!

Thanks again!!!!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Kabin63 is right about the clothes. For the most part Meijer is more expensive when it comes to clothing. They carry alot of name brands, but if you watch for sales, especially the clearance sale, you can make out like a king. Recently, I spent $20 and walked away with 16 articles of clothing. Just as an example, daughter's 3 pack of tights - $.75, camo cargo shorts for son - $1.50, 8 pack undies for daughter - $2.00, denim capris for daughter $1.00. I recently was in need of a purse and got a baby soft leather one for $3.00 (marked down from $39.99). If you're not hard to fit for shoes, this can be a good place also. They are always running buy one get one half price on the shoes and this includes the clearance ones. I bought my daughter 2 pairs a couple of weeks ago for a total of $5.75. This was for a pair of LA Gear's originally priced at $29.99 and a pair of keds that were originally $16.99.

P.S.

Have fun on that drive! I can remember driving from California to New York as a kid during one of our many moves. My dad was a nuclear engineer and was always being transferred from one place to the other. That was a hellish trip!
    Last edited by Sabrys; 04-30-2007 at 03:42 PM.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Wow! You can't even find clothing deals like that at yard sales up here!! I can't wait to move!! I wish next fall would hurry up and get here!!!

16 months. 9 days 'till departure... Am I just a little excited?

AK IN

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Stay far away from the east side. North side is best.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I am about 60 miles north of Indy, so I'm not sure that I can really help you out too much with places to live, property taxes, etc. I believe there was another post about the sales at Meijer and it's a great place to shop. I was there yesterday and milk was on sale for 1.88, apples were 5 lbs for 5.00, hamburger meat (85/15) was maked down to 1.97 lb--I stocked up too!! The clothes on clearance are a great too. I picked up a couple of sweatshirts for my girls and they were $1.49 a piece. At Kroger, I can usually get chicken for about $1.67-$1.99lb when it's on sale and I usually buy enough to last until the next sale. Meijer and Kroger reguarly mark down their meat when it's getting close to the expiration date and you can usually get some great prices. Good luck with your move!!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Ya just don't know how amazingly cheap those groceries sound.

I wish we could move NOW!!!!

Most couples up here spend at *least* $400/mo on groceries...we have to reeeeeeeally work to keep ours low...and our friends and family give us all their leftovers and "extras". Truly a blessing!