Frugal Village Forums banner

I know it as "shepards pie"

Tags
pie shepards
1K views 7 replies 7 participants last post by  lwlynch 
#1 ·
Okay, I tried this last week and it worked really well.

regular meatloaf recipe (make meatloaf)
i flattened in a 9x13 pan leaving about 1/2 around the edge (so when it was cooked I could drain the fat)
then cooked till just about done, remove from oven.

(at this point you could wrap up and freeze until you want one)

next I poured a can of peas and kernel corn on top(drained)
and put mashed potatoes all over the top and then i sprinkled with cheese.

popped back in oven until brown..

then served. I was really good. Next time I will make a gravy to go with it..

if you try it let me know

#4 ·
For some reason, my family has always called this Chinese Pie or China Pie. it makes no sense. DH and I personally don't care for it, but it's a huge hit with my family in general. I think the idea of making it with meatloaf on the bottom instead of just ground beef like we always did is great!

Edited to add: I googled and found a link that explains why we call it that! My family is French Canadian, so now it all makes sense lol http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pâté_chinois

#5 ·
When you mentioned gravy Louise I pictured Homer Simpson drooling and saying graaaaaaavy. And what's not to love with cheese on top. Thanks for sharing!

#6 ·
Technically, a Shepard's Pie is made with lamb or mutton. When made with beef or chicken, it is a Cottage Pie.

I make mine in a loaf pan, like regular meatloaf, with a layer of beef, then corn, then potatoes, corn again, and a top of beef glazed with ketchup. So the vegetables are sort of a surprise.

Reactions: lwlynch
#8 ·
Okay, made this again.. tweeked it a bit. for the meat part I took a ziplock bag, put in the meat, diced onion, garlic, 1/2 cup of bread crumbs, and 1/2 bottle of bq sauce) squished it all together until mixed.. pressed into the 9x13 pan, put rest of bq sauce on top, and baked at 350 for about 45 minutes. poured a drained can of peas an kernel corn on top. Took the mashed potatoes and blended then again with cheese and garlic powder and then spread on top. baked another 15 minutes.. My family ate it up.. the left over i put in individual containers in fridge, dont expect them to last long...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.