Frugal spring salad ideas?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Default Frugal spring salad ideas?

I'd love to hear some spring salad ideas that everyone finds to be economical, regardless of the country you live in.

We're firing up the grill this week and I would LOVE to hear some ideas on what to serve with items like burgers, grilled meats like chicken and pork, etc.

I know about potato salad, coleslaw and pasta salad, but I'm looking for more ideas. I also love macaroni salad but very few of us will actually eat it. We'd do Caesar salad too but I'm not sure if the cost is worth it.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I love to grill veggies. Right now I can get green zucchini pretty cheap. I cut it lengthwise so it's in log strips. Then I marinate it for 30 minutes and throw them on the grill.

Zucchini marinade (sorry, I'm an eye-ball it cook):
    -olive oil
    -balsamic vinegar
    -season salt
    -black pepper
    -adobo seasoning

If I can get Portobello mushrooms, I'll grill those too. If not, I just get the big regular mushrooms. I grill them upside down and put some mozarella cheese on top to melt and just sprinkle some seasoning over it

Registered User Contrary Housewife's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by MomToTwoBoys View Post
    We'd do Caesar salad too but I'm not sure if the cost is worth it.
    How do you figure this? I find caesar salad is pretty cheap, lettuce, croutons (which we usually skip) and dressing with a light sprinkle of parmesan. I do a lot of these when tomatoes get up to $3-4 a pound. I also make my own dressing for pennies.

This looks like a good recipe: Caesar Salad Recipe

There's some up front costs with the anchovy and parmesan, but you use so little and it lasts in the fridge forever.
    Stop trying to organize all of your family’s crap. If organization worked for you, you’d have rocked it by now. It’s time to ditch stuff and de-crapify your world.

If you're not using the stuff in your home, get rid of it. You're not going to start using it more by shoving it into a closet.

Use it up, Wear it out,
    Make it do, Or do without. ~unknown

Because we, the people, have the power to build a better future. KH

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I just don't think you can go wrong with pasta..........and anything goes ............plus, when bought on sale......it is CHEAP!

I like fruit salads too..........again........whatever I have to toss together.....but they aren't always cheap....depending on season.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

pea salad frozen peas thawed, bacon bits, shredded carrots, hard boiled eggs... mayo /ranch

cheap brocolli salad boc crowns, bacon bits or leftovers, rasains, purple onion oli and vinegar / italian dressing which we like.

corn bread salad cornbread crumbled, kidney beans, green onions, tomatoes, cheese, bacon, mayo salt and pepper

frito salad lettuce, toms, green onion, cheese, kidney beans, fritos catalina dressing

spinach, bacon hard boiled eggs

oriental coleslaw google it never made but love it it on my menu paln for summer

spinach strawberry razberry vinagerette

fruit salad cheater style 1 can tropical fruit, drained 1 can pineapple drained.... here is the cheat add 1 bananna, or cantelpoupe, or strawberries, kiwi .... as little or as much.... I mix the juice with it is a guess with honey and mustard.... my friend serves it to her kids mixed with yougurt...

sorry about the spelling I lost my glasses blind as bat lol
    hope this helps

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I just made this salad for Easter. It went over pretty well.

Wild Rice, Corn, and Broccoli Salad
    2 scallions, sliced
    2 ribs celery, sliced
    1 can whole corn kernels, drained
    2 cups cooked wild rice, cooled
    2 c. broccoli florets, steamed till tender
    1/4 c. chopped fresh parsley
    1 1/2 T. olive oil
    2 T. lemon juice
    1/4 t. pepper
    1 t. dry basil
    Toss first six ingredients. Mix remaining ingredients and stir into veggie mixture.

You can sub lots of things in this salad, of course. I didn't have scallions, so I used some red onion instead. I was too lazy to steam broccoli, so I drained a can of cut green beans and used those. I didn't have any cooked wild rice in the freezer, so I subbed a gourmet rice blend I had ready. Use whatever rice you like. I didn't have fresh parsley, so I skipped that. I was going to add some diced cooked bacon, but I forgot. I also used lime juice instead of lemon. The salad was a hit.

I consider recipes to be simply polite suggestions. Some of them beg to be tinkered with and bean and rice salads are ripe for experimentation.

We like seven-layer salads quite a bit too. Start with a layer of lettuce, cut small. Add whatever fresh veggies sound good like a layer of sliced cauliflower, sliced radishes, sliced celery, diced bell peppers, green onion, halved cherry tomatoes, etc. Use what's in the fridge. If you end up with more or less than seven layers, that's fine. Toward the top of the salad, slather on a layer of mayo, or mayo mixed half and half with sour cream or plain yogurt, like frosting a cake. Top that with a little shredded cheese of your choice and maybe some sliced olives, ripe or green. This is pretty in a clear glass bowl, especially if you choose veggies with a lot of color. To serve, scoop out a portion and make sure you get all the way to the bottom so you get every veggie.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Contrary Housewife View Post
    How do you figure this? I find caesar salad is pretty cheap, lettuce, croutons (which we usually skip) and dressing with a light sprinkle of parmesan. I do a lot of these when tomatoes get up to $3-4 a pound. I also make my own dressing for pennies.

This looks like a good recipe: Caesar Salad Recipe

There's some up front costs with the anchovy and parmesan, but you use so little and it lasts in the fridge forever.
    Well here, lettuce prices vary and it's usually $1-$2 a head for romaine. Add in some dressing (the cheap stuff is about $1.79 per bottle), the croutons ($1.89 per box), and Parmesan cheese (between $5 and $10, depending on size and sales) and it's a guessing game. We use a lot of Parmesan cheese here in the house (for pasta salad, chicken and some other recipes).

If I make pasta salad, I have to use whole wheat. I have a durum semolina sensitivity issue so we don't do white pasta in the house.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

CUCUMBER - ONION SALAD

4 cucumbers
    2 onions
    1/3 c. white vinegar
    1/3 c. sugar
    1/2 tsp. salt
    Slice cucumber and onions. Mix vinegar, sugar and salt and pour over cucumbers and onions. Toss to cover slices. Chill in refrigerator. Drain and serve.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Radish Salad

Ingredients
    About 12 radishes, thinly sliced
    1 tablespoon salt
    1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
    2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
    1 tablespoon orange juice
    Ground Urfa or other mild chilies to taste (optional)
    2 tablespoons chopped mint or cilantro
    Method
    1. Combine radishes with salt, and cover with water in a bowl. Let sit 15 minutes. Drain, and rinse. Meanwhile, stir together the pepper and fruit juices.
    2. Toss radishes with dressing and chilies. Taste. Add more salt, pepper or lime juice as needed. Garnish with herb, and serve.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

when I make a cesar salad I make my own croutons....

romaine is 2 bucks I also use regular parm like people use for spaghetti ( in the green can) but i do love the other stuff and u are correct it is EXPENSIVE....I also like the cheap walmart brand cesar dressing alot..

u could make your own croutons and save some... I use what ever is here.. cut into cubes I toss with olive oil, garlic, and can parm but u could use what ever... bake in oven at 200 till dryed out... now u make me want to try them with wheat bread.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Super Simple Vegetable Salad
    1 can whole kernel corn, drained
    1 can cut green beans, drained
    1 can sliced carrots, drained
    --Mix vegetables together with your favorite "vinaigrette" style dressing.

Of course, this would be even tastier with fresh vegetables.

Registered User Contrary Housewife's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Yes, try making your own croutons with the ends from a loaf of bread. Save the ends in the freezer, then cube them and toss with a little oil and italian seasoning.

Here a whole loaf cheap loaf of bread is 1.89, even if I was buying whole grain it would still be lots cheaper to make croutons than buy them.

To save on the cost of dressing, put some in a bowl and then mix (toss) the lettuce in it before serving. You use less than when people add their own at the table. Also you'll use less parmesan if you sprinkle it on top just before serving instead of mixing it in with the lettuce.

Here's a nice summer salad recipe I tried: https://www.frugalvillage.com/forums/...pea-salad.html

The classic Waldorf Salad: Waldorf Salad Recipe | Simply Recipes

A friend of mine makes this. I don't care for the texture, but it's different. Frog Eye Salad Recipe - Allrecipes.com
    Stop trying to organize all of your family’s crap. If organization worked for you, you’d have rocked it by now. It’s time to ditch stuff and de-crapify your world.

If you're not using the stuff in your home, get rid of it. You're not going to start using it more by shoving it into a closet.

Use it up, Wear it out,
    Make it do, Or do without. ~unknown

Because we, the people, have the power to build a better future. KH

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Bean Salad
    1 can each of 3 different beans, I use black beans, chick peas, pinto beans, cannielli beans, kidney beans, white beans...Just choose 3 drain them
    onion
    green pepper
    tomato
    You can put in whatever veggies you want but I use those
    lemon juice, salt and pepper

Some people like this some hate it but me and dh really like it

Cabbage Salad
    cut cabbage like you would for slaw
    onion
    green pepper or any color green is just cheaper
    tomato
    cucumber
    again use any veggies you like
    lemon juice, salt and pepper

This is also very good with fruit thrown in if you happen to have any
    I have used strawberries, apples and peaches

I had this for the first time when I was in Ecuador at a resturant, I loved it

Ros
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I'm fructose intolerant, so I can only eat certain fruits and vegetables. I can't handle onions or too much tomato, so I like to make pineapple salsa. Usually I use half a pineapple, cilantro from my container garden, 1 bell pepper, lime juice, and salt to taste. Sometimes I add a little onion-infused olive oil (fructose isn't oil soluble, so it gives the flavor without the sugar). I generally use the rest of the pineapple in smoothies, or sometimes in upside-down cake.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

This past fall and winter I have taken to grilling or pan frying up pineapple. Just enough to heat up and carmalize a bit. To me it goes good with any meat. Also any green salad with some season fruit tossed in goes well with chicken or pork. How about a fruit salsa to go with chicken or pork.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast