baked beans in the crockpot

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Question baked beans in the crockpot

I did have instructions on how to cook baked beans in the crockpot but I lost them. Can someone please tell me basically how to do it. I am using the leftovers of a bone in roast for some flavoring. I have some bacon, too, should I add that? Thanks!
    Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!Share on FacebookSpurl this Post!Reddit!Wong this Post!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

(still working on that roast bone?!?!?)
    basically, you just put the beans in the crockpot, a cup or two I suppose, and then cover the beans and whatever else you put in there about an inch or two of water over the top of the beans.....add whatever, the more stuff with flavour the better......
    I know, it's VERY vague. I just made black eyed peas today and didn't measure a thing. In the end, I thought it seemed too watery, so I added a handful of rice and let it cook for anohter 20 minutes or so. It was really yummy......basically, you can't mess up beans. Have fun...AND GOOD LUCK!
    Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!Share on FacebookSpurl this Post!Reddit!Wong this Post!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by IntlMom View Post
    (still working on that roast bone?!?!?)
    basically, you just put the beans in the crockpot, a cup or two I suppose, and then cover the beans and whatever else you put in there about an inch or two of water over the top of the beans.....add whatever, the more stuff with flavour the better......
    I know, it's VERY vague. I just made black eyed peas today and didn't measure a thing. In the end, I thought it seemed too watery, so I added a handful of rice and let it cook for anohter 20 minutes or so. It was really yummy......basically, you can't mess up beans. Have fun...AND GOOD LUCK!
    are you using dried beans?
    and if so is there a need to soak if they are going in the crock pot?

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

lol, yeah, I'm still working out the roast bone thing. I never learned this stuff, so I'm stuck trying to fit together bit and pieces of things I've learned over the years. In this situation, I knew I was supposed to do SOMETHING with the bone, I just didn't know what! So I'm going to soak the dry beans overnight, then rinse and put them in the crock tomorrow covered with enough water for them to absorb, the bone and some bacon. We'll see how it turns out. thanks!!!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

let me know!
    I love beans and they are SO much cheaper dry than canned

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I made homemade baked beans for Easter. I used:
    1 pkg small white beans
    1 can chicken broth ( or beef or veg broth)
    1 onion
    bacon fried crisp
    add to taste: BBQ sauce, brown sugar, mustard.

Soak the beans overnight, drain. Add more water and bring to a boil, let sit for about an hour, drain.
    Put remaining ingrediants in crockpot and cook for 4 - 6 hours!
    If it is too soupy towards the end, just tilt the lid to let the steam escape and or add a can or garbanzo beans. Alot less sodium this way than if you use canned beans.

Laurie in Calif.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by luvs2scrapbk View Post
    I made homemade baked beans for Easter. I used:
    1 pkg small white beans
    1 can chicken broth ( or beef or veg broth)
    1 onion
    bacon fried crisp
    add to taste: BBQ sauce, brown sugar, mustard.

Soak the beans overnight, drain. Add more water and bring to a boil, let sit for about an hour, drain.
    Put remaining ingrediants in crockpot and cook for 4 - 6 hours!
    If it is too soupy towards the end, just tilt the lid to let the steam escape and or add a can or garbanzo beans. Alot less sodium this way than if you use canned beans.

Laurie in Calif.
    I have canned beans on hand right now...I'm guessing I can reduce the cooking time since they're already cooked?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Yes, maybe cook for an hour or two just to let all the flavors blend............very good with canned beans too!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by luvs2scrapbk View Post
    Yes, maybe cook for an hour or two just to let all the flavors blend............very good with canned beans too!
    okay for the sake of my sanity could I forgo the soaking process with dried beans if I up the cook time in my crock pot
    or is soaking the only way?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Well I have heard you should either soak overnight OR bring to a boil and let soak for an hour and then put in the crockpot BUT, mine never seemed to get done that way, that is why I do both, so I do tend to think it is best to do some kind of a pre soak/cook before adding the rest of the ingrediants. But it is fun to experiment, that is how great recipes are created!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by kellydoeshair View Post
    okay for the sake of my sanity could I forgo the soaking process with dried beans if I up the cook time in my crock pot
    or is soaking the only way?
    I just throw in the beans, water, etc and cook. I never bother to soak. It does take some time but it's easy peasy.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Here's the recipe I usually work from, but it changes depending on what I've got on hand.
    Crockpot
    1 lb. pkg. dried navy beans (pea beans)
    1 lg. onion
    1/4 lb. salt pork, cut into 1 inch cubes(usually use ham)
    3/4 c. molasses
    1/4 tsp. dry mustard
    1 tsp. salt
    Dash pepper
    1/2 - 3/4 c. brown sugar

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Soaking also seems to get a lot of dirt off.