Looking for an amish pen pal
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default Looking for an amish pen pal

For years I have been interested in the amish lifestyle and I have read a lot about it.

I would very much like an amish pen pal in order to learn more about their way of life. If possible a woman about my age (39). Does anyone here have amish friends who might be interested.

Thanks,

Lisette

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default Would love to learn about the Amish faith

I am so different from the ones around me. I don't wear makeup, I wear simple clothes and I admire Elizabeth 1 who was considered to live in plain. Not to mention I was born in the wrong time...I admire pioneers and the way they lived. As much as I use technoligy...I wish that I didn't. Feels that it takes time away from the family. Would love to speak to someone of the faith.
    Last edited by ACYoung08; 09-13-2008 at 09:12 PM.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

We have lots of Amish neighbors. They are very pleasant, kind and polite. Terrific neighbors and always helpful if there is fire etc. However they interact with us non Amish socially minimally and don't let the kids mix because they do not want our lifestyles to infuence(not the right word but I'm sure it makes a bit of sense)

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I too, would love to have an Amish penpal!! I've read many books about them... A very wonderful people...
    Kace - Always pinchin' pennies!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Hi! Just wondering if anyone has been successful in finding an Amish penpal or not? I'd love to have one as well.

Funny thing is, there are Amish in the country all around where I live and I do see them in the grocery stores but I mean, what do you say ... "Uhm, excuse me mam but would you like to be my penpal?" lol

Scarlett

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

You are not going to be able to find pen pals for the Amish online. However you might want to check out the magazine Keepers At Home you can buy it from hereModest Clothing for Plain Living Christian Women I think they sometimes run pen pals. It is an Amish publication.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by Jeanna View Post
    You are not going to be able to find pen pals for the Amish online. However you might want to check out the magazine Keepers At Home you can buy it from hereModest Clothing for Plain Living Christian Women I think they sometimes run pen pals. It is an Amish publication.
    Thanks! I took would like to have an Amish penpal. I have subscribed to an Amish family youtube videos. First the man comes out and says something and then the woman demonstrates in the video. You never see her face.
    My daughter married an Amish gentleman but he is more modern. I want to be able to ask questions without anyone being offended.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Thanks so much, Jeanna!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

You can go to an Amish village to visit to see if any of them wants to have a pen pal.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Old thread

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I kind of like seeing old threads popping up from time to time. lol

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by nodmicks View Post
    We have lots of Amish neighbors. They are very pleasant, kind and polite. Terrific neighbors and always helpful if there is fire etc. However they interact with us non Amish socially minimally and don't let the kids mix because they do not want our lifestyles to infuence(not the right word but I'm sure it makes a bit of sense)
    interesting. i guess that is how they keep their lifestyle from changing into modern ways.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

and don't let the kids mix because they do not want our lifestyles to infuence(
    interesting. i guess that is how they keep their lifestyle from changing into modern ways.
    Their clothing is 'hochmut', plain, not prideful, no fancy buttons, colors, etc. The accent, syntax, slang, is unique - youth interactions would involve copying, mimicking, mocking, etc. (Not a problem for adults, they can speak both 'languages').
    A biggest factor in avoiding modern ways is electricity. (Cars is second). As long as they prohibit electricity, there is no refrigerator, no lights, no hot water, the cows are milked by hand, the cream separator is hand cranked, water for livestock is hand pumped, house water is hand pumped and carried to the house by pails, no wash machine, no dryer, no microwave, no blender, the toaster and the coffee pot involves a wood fire. The sewing machine is foot-powered.