Do you have a county bus?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default Do you have a county bus?

Hey all!

In my quest to find alternative transportation I actually remembered that our county does run a bus service. It's not the greatest but if I'm willing to walk about 2 miles. For about $2.50 round trip I can go all over my county. Also the website said that the buses now have bicycle racks. Because bus service is limited, it could be possible to take your bike and cycle to your destination. Not the most appealing option but at least an option. I'm just thankful that because I live in the boonies I have at least an alternative.

If you live in a rural area just google you county name along with transit and see if this option is available.

HTH

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

we have the public transportation bus.
    the handicapped ride it an they oick up kid`s out on the mountain that have to go to alternative school .
    I figure they would pick up other`s that needed a ride.

Master Dollar Stretcher aka DixieBob Dixie's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

We have it here, too. I'm not sure of the cost, but it's a great alternative. The only drawback that I can see is, you have to be picked up at a certain time, which is I think 10 am and you can't return until around 3 pm. They will pick you up and return you to your house. My late mom used this service a lot and it was a Godsend for her, since she never learned to drive.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Ours only runs on weekdays (while I'm at work). It would be great if they worked on the weekends, as the major shopping areas are quite a ways away. Ours is $2/day and they do have bike racks also. Very small, though. Like a large van.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

The only public transportation in my area is something called ClasTran. It is only for the elderly and disabled. Mom qualifies for both categories.

It took over 3 months, numerous phone calls, two sets of paperwork (only one was needed) and a testy take-no-prisoners final call from me to finally get her approved.

You have to set your appt by 11am the day before pickup...no problem. She missed five different doctor appointments because ClasTran kept screwing up!

1. First they showed up with a van that couldn't hold her wheelchair....after being told 15 times (I documented each call) that she had to ride in her chair.

2. & 3. Two times they showed up on the wrong day.

4. Once they showed up three hours early, Momma was still asleep, of course they couldn't wait or send another van on time.

5. Once they were over an hour late, 20 minutes past her appointment time.

Only twice in total as she actually gotten to her appointment on time. Both times I just assumed they were lying about the pickup time (supposed to be 10am) and I had her up, dressed, fed and in the chair by 7:30 am.

What makes it worse is that the fire dept. has to come out and carry her in her chair down the front stairs. We have no ramps. Every time ClasTran screwed up it affected a lot of people. (me, Momma, DH, doctor's office and fire dept)

So that's my experience with our sorry, limited, county transportation. Hope ya'lls is better.

(PS) We had to start using ClasTran because her insurance wouldn't pay for transport by ambulance any longer. So even though she was/is totally imcapable of riding in a car nobody gives a rip. Dr won't call in prescriptions unless she has an office visit, it's hellish!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

We have city buses. I believe it's $1/ride. They only go around the city, all places that are within walking distance for me. But it's great for the elderly, handicapped or for those who need to get to work in the winter and don't want to walk in sub-zero temps.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

We have a bus but it is only for the elderly and handicapped. I think it is handled through our local Social Services office and you have to be approved to ride it.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

We have a bus system its called LYNK. I have never used it but I see the bus stops all over town. I do know a person who used it but she hated it because she had to get up hour and hours early and sometimes take several more hours just to get home.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Only bus around here is OATS for elderly and handicapped.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Forgot to add, ours costs $8 round-trip.

They do not make change.

They will not wait longer than 5 minutes for the passenger.

The rider's rule book is 25 pages long

I'll be happy when Momma gets around well enough not to need their transportation any longer.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

There is no public transportation offered in our little town.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I'm outside of Baltimore, I've never used public transit around here, but it seems pretty extensive compared to a lot of places. We've got the train that goes out to the county, and busses everywhere downtown. Though I don't know how nice it is. There has been a lot of violence lately, which is sad and awful, especially for people who don't have an alternative.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

None here.....

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

We do have a county ran bus line, but it doesn't come any where close to our neck of the woods. I really wish they would expand the lines to include the whole county...but, I'll probably be waiting a long time for that to happen.
    "Life is what happens while you are busy making other plans." John Lennon
    "Infinite goodness has wide arms." Dante

Change & Penny Challenges:
    Penny :
    Change :

2020 Coupon Savings and Perks Challenge:
    $172.82