Avoiding items "Made in China"
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default Avoiding items "Made in China"

Can't find the debates forum, so I'll just put this here...

Normally I'm not so behind the times but I didn't get the fuss about "Made in China" but I guess the controversy is because of all the unsafe products, including food, that have come to this country. Seems some people are also choosing to boycott the goods because of China's government. Some because of Tibet. So I guess I don't understand the whole issue.

Is anyone trying to avoid items made in China? Should I be?

Any thoughts on this issue?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I look at the quality for cost. If it's what I am looking for I buy it. If not I pass it over. I think the big deal was lead in the paints of kids toys. So if it's painted, I check where it was made. Otherwise, I don't remember what th big deal was.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I've been trying to avoid Chinese imports since before all of the safety issues. Party because of the Tibet issue, but more because of their horrendous human rights and animal welfare records.

I'd like to say, "everyone should avoid Chinese imports", but that's like saying "everyone should be vegetarian" or vote a certain way. It's a personal thing and I don't think anyone can really tell you whether or not you should avoid buying from China.

Educate yourself on the issues and if you feel moved by what you've learned, you'll know what to do. And if you aren't moved, then you're more educated.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by The Muse View Post
    Party because of the Tibet issue, but more because of their horrendous human rights and animal welfare records.
    Do you mind elaborating a bit? I'd like to hear your thoughts.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I don't buy anything edible from China (and a few other places) because it scares me. At Christmas time I had a very hard time finding "fun" candy for my kids' stockings that wasn't made there. That was a small issue in comparison to trying to find sweatshop free items that were still affordable.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I try not to buy edibles from other countries...I also try to buy only U.S. made products, but it is hard

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

This is a hard topic for me, I almost didn't reply cause my thoughts are all over the place................
    Our daughter was born there, we love, love, LOVE the country and the ppl there, we have seen very very poor areas of the country. She was born in a very remote area and left to be cared for by an orphanage. I understand the quality issues, lead paint, sweatshops, forced labor, (isn;t that the same thing? ), inferior quality, I get all that, And yet, I'm pulled to the country, the ppl, and their goods......Not the cheap "trinket-y" stuff, but the things that ring of their nation and heritage. Part of me wants to stay away from the stuff, and part of me wants the ppl that are working in the only jobs available there to continue to have jobs, poor as they may be.
    Told you, I'm all over the place

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

IntlMom, I did think of you while I was writing this post. I imagine their true culture is much different than the goods that are cranked out for U.S. consumption.

I have no real opinion on the matter yet because it's still new to me and I didn't grasp the controversy.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I am somewhat leary. Do remember during the lead in toy scare that even the companies in the US could not avoid having something from China in the product. Personally I think if the US companies are going to go over seas like China you would think there would be their own quality control people making sure EVERYTHING is to US standards. So, I don't think there is only one person or place to blame here.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jayne View Post
    I try not to buy edibles from other countries...I also try to buy only U.S. made products, but it is hard
    Call me crazy, but some of the best food I have ever eaten I ate while I was in China! Not only was in from another country, but grown there, harvested there, prepared there, and yum-o enjoyed there!!!
    I'm pretty sure that our northern neighbors will (rightly) think that their food is perfectly fine to eat! eh?

Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by acidcookie View Post
    IntlMom, I did think of you while I was writing this post. I imagine their true culture is much different than the goods that are cranked out for U.S. consumption.

I have no real opinion on the matter yet because it's still new to me and I didn't grasp the controversy.

Just so you know, I am not in any way, shape, or form bothered by your post/question........I'm kinda all over the place on it, as you can see!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

My concern isn't really US vs. all other countries. It just seems that China has been the country of much talk when it comes to imported goods. And I've heard some of my friends recently say things like "I found this really cute shirt, but it was made in China" or "Damnit, my favorite purse was made in China" and I didn't get it.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by IntlMom View Post

Just so you know, I am not in any way, shape, or form bothered by your post/question........I'm kinda all over the place on it, as you can see!
    I know I just remembered that you have a child from there so you crossed my mind.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by acidcookie View Post
    Do you mind elaborating a bit? I'd like to hear your thoughts.
    The issues are too broad and deep for me to do justice to them here. There are plenty of websites that will do a better job than I of educating you on the issues if you're really interested.

Just search for each of the issues I noted in my initial post.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast