Had your IQ tested?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default Had your IQ tested?

Has anyone had their IQ professionally tested? I am curious to know how it affected your life. I am not asking you to tell me your score, I am just wondering how it feels to know.
    My DH has been tested and he did well. It hasn´t boosted his self confidence the way thought it would. He suffers from depression though.
    I know IQ tests don´t test everything and high IQ is not going to make you any happier. Nor is it a guarantee of success. I would like to go to a Mensa test, but I don´t have the guts. What if my score was very low .

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

You can contact MENSA and get a sample test. See what you think of the questions.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I have had mine tested several times. I will tell you this, I tested borderline genius and all that has caused me is frustration. Because I feel I have been wasteful of my "talent" whatever, as I do NOT lead a genius lifestyle. It makes me feel like I am not living to my potential, if I take it at face value. However, I need to remind myself that life gets in the way, as do a whole slew of other situations.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I agree with Kristen...

Knowing only made me angry because I thought I was holding myself back... the 'brains' was there... why wasn't I taking harder courses in college... why wasn't I going to harvard... why wasn't I a top-notch lawyer somewhere.

Eventually... I didn't care how high it was... I was the same me I was 2 seconds before taking the test. I think some people just 'test well' and some people can be idiot savants and totally shut-down during formal testing.

I am making a conscious effort to not put too much stock in the standardized school testing DD will have to go through this coming year. If I make a big deal out of it, I know it will only add pressure to her to do well.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I've not had mine professionally tested, but I have had both daughters tested for various reasons. For my youngest daughter, it was life-changing. She had been placed in remedial learning classes, was designated "special needs" and was struggling in school. When the IQ test results were presented to the school and she was assigned a great teacher who worked with her... it completely turned this child's life around (3rd grade). She recently graduated HS with 9 college hours completed and will be attending a prestigious women's college in the fall.

For my oldest, it meant that in spite of struggling with ADD, she was given the confidence to know that she was "smart enough", she just had to learn to deal with her distractions. She's in her 2nd year of college (same prestigious women's college) and is doing well.

For us, it was an affirmation of what we intuitively knew about the girls and a tool to have others listen and boost the girls' confidence about their capabilities.

I've done the MENSA and other testing, but they weren't professionally administered so I take them with a slight grain of salt. And for myself, don't feel it would be important to know where I rate at this point in my life. It's more like a curiosity and parlor game...

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I had an IQ test done in 5th grade for accelerated/gifted program. I did well, but my mom did not consent due to my type A personality.
    My ds and my nephew were both tested, they are both above average at this point.
    I guess it would only be a confidence boost if it was high. You wouldn't want to find out you were below average!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I think if my girls had tested below average, it would have helped me to set realistic goals for them as they were growing and learning, identify a problem and avoid harming their self-esteem and defeating their confidence by expecting something they were incapable of achieving. So, yeah... even that could have been confidence boosting in its own way.

The professional tests include many different tests and are not just questions and answers... they take into account various ways of thinking and problem solving. My daughters did puzzles, and performed various tasks as part of their testing.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I studied so HARD for the IQ test! years and years and years!!

I wonder.... does your IQ increase as you age? I mean.... I know a lot more than I did when I was younger. If they tested me on stuff I've never learned... how could I have answered it correctly?

I think it's the same kind of feeling as one gets going to a palm reader. Tell me only the good stuff and not the bad.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

LOL...

An IQ test is relative to your age. It has nothing to do with knowledge... only comprehension, problem solving and ability to learn.

[ame]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IQ[/ame]

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Having my son's tested was instrumental to finding out he had Aspberger's so it was helpful in that aspect.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I had to be professionally tested back in 1980. The high school I wanted to attend had a minimum 140 IQ requirement. ( along with essay and personal interview) I scored well above and thrived in the new school.

It used to be called Shades Valley RLC. It is now called JCIB and they have dropped the IQ requirement and changed from a 6 or 4 year program to only 2 years.

The standards for admission were lowered and from what I've heard and read the whole program is watered down from when I was a student. It's a pity, but that's what happens when enough parents carp, bully and protest "the unfairness".

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

What Kristen and Lady V said.

My question to you is: What will you do with the information? Will it enable some positive change in your life? Do you need the confidence boost? Will a lower score than you expect upset you?

Well, that was more than 1 question, but I think you should consider what you want to take from the experience.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I will propably not go and get tested. My husband had himself tested as he had many tests done to him when he was diagnosed with depression. His score was high and I know I am smarter than him anyway. No, just kidding.
    I was just wondering this, becase I thought he would get something positive out of his high score, but he hasn´t. It´s actually the opposite. Like, it somehow makes him sad.
    Thank you for your answers.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

That's too bad iida

I had mine tested twice. Once when I was a child and was not given the score. Once when I was in college and I did find out the score. (Interestingly enough, I've also taken some of the online ones and the scores came within points of the actual). I don't think it had an effect on me, or would have if I had been told when I was a younger. I always knew I was smart but lazy
    Last edited by vigilant20; 07-02-2008 at 04:48 PM. Reason: spelling

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I was labeled "gifted" as a young child and have never known scores nor do I care to. Being labeled gifted can be very isolating. People tend to use you more than welcome or accept you. The world has higher expectations of the "gifted" and they can be difficult to always meet.

A few people are fortunate to find jobs where they work with others with similar gifts and are highly respected. I used to think the folks who worked for NASA were so lucky -- till my uncle who did work for NASA drank himself to death.

I can understand the sadness. Being considered "gifted" can be a terrible burden if you aren't allowed to use those gifts.

But that said I don't believe there is a single soul on this earth who is not gifted in some way. We are not all gifted the same. The world would be a terribly boring place if we were. All people from childhood to old age should be allowed and encouraged to find and use their gifts and not be resentful of the gifts of others. If this happened I firmly believe many of the world's problems would be resolved.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast