This is driving me nuts!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Angry This is driving me nuts!

Every year fireworks are sold around here. People buy them, people shoot them off. This starts about a week before July 4th. And every year my 3 dogs REFUSE to go outside for the entire time. But you know they gotta "go" somewhere and this year my living room is the room of choice. Why can't they use the kitchen where I can easily mop it up? No, they have to go on the carpet where it can soak in leaving a nice aroma for all to enjoy.

Well, that's my vent for the day. I feel better now.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I know exactly what you mean!

We just rescued a puppy from a litter that was thrown out in a corn field! Needless to say, getting him potty trained has not been the easiest to do, but now that the fireworks have started, getting him to go outside is unheard of!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I'm not into the fireworks thing. It's probably unpatriotic of me, but w/e.

I've been hanging around a lot of other military wives (at least on the net) for awhile, and I've heard too many stories of service members coming home with PTSD and end up trembling and in the fetal position under the kitchen table every July 4 because of the noise. It seems to happen a lot, even among older men who haven't seen a battle in forever.

Seems really sad to me. I'll go watch the fireworks, but we don't light our own.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

My sister's dog actually died a couple of years ago on the 4th of July. They left it tied up outside on the 4th and left for a few hours. The thing was dead when they returned.
    Dogs hate the loud noise and it must of got so worked up over it, it passed away. They think it had a heart attack.

Banned
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I always hear how hard it is on dogs. My cats get freaky too.

I am like a kid about fireworks. I love them and the sound. My neighbood tonight is pretty loud.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Can you gate them into the kitchen or other easy to clean area? They are afraid of the loud noises...poor things! I have such a soft spot for animals!

Contain them in easy to clean areas if possible since this is for a relativley short period of time.

And if that doesnt work...well...good luck!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

One of the few things I love about the city I live in is the fact that fireworks are against the law. They cannot be bought, sold or shot off. Of course there are always a few who still do. Luckily, all you have to so is call the non-emergency police number and they send someone out to warn them the first time. After that they start passing out fines and making arrests.

Neither my dogs or my cats like them. We keep them all inside for the fourth, New Years and any other event when someone may decide to shoot them off.

I live less that 1/2 mile from the air force base and thank goodness no one there ever even tries to shoot them off.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

My neighborhood has been quieter than usual this year. I don't mind small stuff, but the bigger stuff scares me. We have ordinances, but they rarely are enforced. I like the big community show, it's one night for an hour, and run by the fire company, can't we all just be happy with that!
    My dog doesn't seem to get too upset by the noise, but then thunder and lightening don't really bother her either. She is most upset if my one neighbor goes out her door, she goes nuts.
    For the mess, I use puppy pads while I'm out for work (way too ling for her to hold it) and that has helped alot.
    I hadn't heard about the vets before. My dad had some pretty rough shell shock from Korea, but loved fireworks. He liked to tell me they'd fall on my head when I was a kid. He had a strange sense of humor. It was unexpected noises that got to him more.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Yep I agree, sorry your 'kids' have a hard time with the summer time noises. Get one of these, http://www.target.com/Top-Notch-Gate...0-%2424&page=1, relatively inexpensive, to keep them in an area of the house easier to clean up. Poor babies and you.

My hubby is a Vietnam vet, last year for the 4th, when we were at my friend Brenda's home, her son-in-law decided to set off home made cherry bombs, Jack freaked out! He couldn't get out of there fast enough!

That isn't a nice thing to happen to our veterans, they deserve more from us that are at home, that they are protecting.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Would something like piddle pads work? And I'm not a big fan of all the noise that fireworks make either.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

We live out in the country and the biggest problem we have is the 'hillbillies' across the road. Last year they kept firing bottle rockets across the road toward our house, right over our pasture that the goats are in. We even had one land on our front porch! Even living in the country you can't get away from it!

We were invited to a this year at a friends house to enjoy the fireworks but I worry about leaving the farm. Our dog, a 3 yr old australian shepard/lab mix would be home alone and while she does good with us there, I don't know what she'd do home alone, even though she is a 'indoor' baby.

Debbie in MIssouri

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

The best thing you can do is get the dog use to the noise. The best way to do it is buy the smallest fireworks you can and the take them outside. While you sit with the dog and comfort them have someone go to the other side of the yard and light the fireworks. Once you can do this without the dog going nuts have them move closer until they can take the person being only a few yards away. It is similar to breaking a horse or dog of being gun shy.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Our neighbors will be firing them off this week.
    ( unless they go up to camp and do them there )
    Our dogs don't really like it but they will survive.
    They have for 10 years so they will for another .
    I just try not to let that stuff get to me.
    Its not my business what they do and its not theirs what I do.
    No way my dogs are staying in the house for a week

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Yep, it's started here too. My dog growls at them all the time!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

We get the fireworks around here, too. It's illegal here but people run down to NC and pick them up. My JRT gets scared if he hears a gunshot on TV so I can only imagine what the 4th will bring. I'll just help him through it as best I can.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast