Ok. Here's the scoop on my cruise....
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Smile Ok. Here's the scoop on my cruise....

This has been an unbelievable unique cruise vacation. I've never had a vacation quite like this.

You might recall from a thread I started a week ago that the night before we were to leave on our cruise, I lost a capped front tooth and SWALLOWED it! It was night time, and I scurried to find a dentist open during the night, and yes, we found one, and he gave me a temporary cap. I'm glad to say that it stayed on during the whole cruise, partly because I didn't eat anything on that side of my mouth, and stayed mostly with soft stuff. Too bad..... they had great food. And somewhere deep in a riverbed, is my old capped tooth......

Well, I also had some chest congestion and a sore throat before we left on the cruise. It was almost gone when we left, and I was taking the last of the meds. But..... it returned during the cruise, and added to it an earache. I found myself staying in bed when I just wanted to be out on the deck.

Then yesterday, I broke out in rash, probably as a result of something I ate (I suspect strawberries), and I have itched like crazy for two days now. Finally got some Benedryl today.

OK. Enought of my physical ailments. Let's move on to some other things. The charger for our cell phone died on the second day of the cruise. Fortunately some nice folks we met loaned us their charger (which was like ours), and so we could keep our phone going during the cruise.

We flew to Nashville, and boarded the Delta Queen steamboat there. Then we cruised the Cumberland River and the Tennessee River to Paducah, KY. At that point, the captain had an announcement. Due to a heavily flooded Wabash River in Indiana, the Coast Guard closed all river traffic on the Ohio River. The Ohio was our next river destination that would steam us up to Cincinnati, our final destination. We were to fly back home from Cinci. Forget that idea. The boat had to turn around and we followed the Tennessee River up to Chattanooga. Tell you what..... it was gorgeous. You Tennessee people have some of the most beautiful scenery in the world.

We departed the boat today in Chattanooga and flew out of the Chat airport to Atlanta, GA. The steamboat had to cancel all of the passengers' reservations to fly out of Cincinnati and buy us all new tickets out of Atlanta. (And they had to reroute all oncoming passengers for the new cruise starting today). Well, since our tickets were last minute purchases and since they were one way tickets, that triggered a high security alert at the Chattanooga airport. Every passenger was totally searched, patted down, etc. All of our luggage was opened and searched and then not so nicely put back. Everything in my carry on bag and purse was taken out and searched. Everything that we carried on board, including jackets and shoes and bags and etc. were wiped down to check for explosives. It took forever. Don't get me wrong: I really don't mind good thorough security. I'd rather have that than be blown up in the sky. But it take a very long time.....

Both flights today was turbulent. People were getting sick.... not a pretty sight.

But praise be to God; we are home safe and sound. The house was still standing and in good shape. Our dog was still alive. And we had a good time on the boat: good music, good excursions, fantastic food, good people. Can't complain.

Anyhoo..... I have never had so many things go wrong on a vacation, yet we enjoyed it so much.
    Spiritual:
    "You are fearfully and wonderfully made." Please... respect life.

Financial:
    Debt free, hoping to stay that way!

MY BLOG: glorybug.wordpress.com

1. Keep on writing.
    2. Get some balance in my life.
    3. Lose weight. Hopefully 20# this year.
    4. Continue to be looking for how God wants to use me this year.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Sorry to hear that so many things went wrong! But it sounds like you had the right attitude, and I'm glad that you were able to enjoy it.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Oh my goodness...well it certainly was eventful!

Glad you made it home in one piece and had a good time regardless

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Wow, that sounds like a rough trip! Glad you were able to see the silver linings! Did you get to take any pics? Someday I hope to cruise to alaska.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I'd say that's one for the vacation record books. Glad you were able to enjoy it in spite of all the 'challenges'. You must have been a marine in a former life (they adapt overcome, right? ). Happy to hear you're home, safe and sound. We've missed you.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Welcome back! Wow, that was quite a trip! Glad you made the best of it and still had an enjoyable time. So, what's next on the agenda for the seasoned traveler?!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Glad you had a good time in spite of all the mishaps. My DH works at the Atlanta airport. Security is tight there. The cruise you went on sounds like a fun cruise.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Welcome back! Definately sounds like a trip you'll always remember!

Debbie in Missouri

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

You cruised right down our river. I had no idea there were cruises that go down the Ohio River. New fact for my head. Glad to here you had a good time in spite of being sick.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Glad you had a good time anyways..................
    Fern

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

What a rocky ride! Glad it was a good vacation, despite it all!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Sounds like despite all the sickness and craziness, you still had a good time. This will be one of those vacations you will remember forever and have a good chuckle over.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Sorry to hear about all the things that went wrong with the trip. I am sure the scenery on the cruise made it all worth while. I feel the same as you when it comes to airport searches. I would rather be extremely safe than sorry! Glad you are home safe and sound.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Hope your going to feel like your old self soon. Glad you found your way to have a good time in spite of the wammys in your way.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

OMG!
    You did have a time of didn't you.
    I'm glad you still had a good time.
    Seems you made the best of everything.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast