What to wear in NYC in July?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default What to wear in NYC in July?

This Sunday we are leaving for NYC for the week. We will be working at the YWAM base there. I have no clue what to wear. I don't want to look like a complete goofball. It's going to be hot (although still cooler than Arkansas in July) so I know I need to wear something cool. I was thinking about taking some bermuda shorts and athletic (Nike) shorts with tank tops and t-shirts. We will be spending most of our days outside. I was going to take jeans for the evenings. Would that be ok? Help!!!

TIA!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

comfortable walking shoes ( new yorkers walk everywhere)
    nice..well cut summer dresses...think sleek..sophisticated..
    ballet flats
    lightweight cotton sweater ( places are air conditioned)
    lightweight raincoat( we do get summer thunderstorms)
    no flip flops ( tourists only)
    the subway can be wicked .
    it can get very hot in july..high humidity and usually a heat wave lasting about 4 days
    the weather can range from clear sunny and warm to clear sunny & hot..to hazy humid and sticky.
    bring a bottle of water everyday with you..with all the walking..you do get thirsty.
    a good large handbag..to carry everything..
    you will fall in love with this city..guaranteed!

i love new york but very expensive to live there. have fun!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by tbs727 View Post
    This Sunday we are leaving for NYC for the week. We will be working at the YWAM base there. I have no clue what to wear. I don't want to look like a complete goofball. It's going to be hot (although still cooler than Arkansas in July) so I know I need to wear something cool. I was thinking about taking some bermuda shorts and athletic (Nike) shorts with tank tops and t-shirts. We will be spending most of our days outside. I was going to take jeans for the evenings. Would that be ok? Help!!!

TIA!
    That's just what I used to wear in the summer when we lived there You might want to throw in a cotton dress just in case and a light sweater or jacket ~ it's hot but it's much hotter in the south.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Most important, comfortable shoes, couple pairs, something for evening if your going out, rain gear, nothing worse than getting caught in the rain on NY streets. Summer dresses, t's and jeans, I would say no shorts, but that's me. Oh, and tuck a couple of canvas bags in. NY'ers are always carrying something, if you carry a purse, carry one with a flap if you have one, and of course always carry the flap inside,(against your body). Stay aware of your surroundings, and enjoy!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

My bunch is up there this week, it is hot.. take comfortable shoes, I sent just shorts and cool shirts and they have been fine. I also sent them a carry about water bottle. Have fun and take care of yourself.. let us know how it went..

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

~For what your there for your wardrobe ideas sound comfortable but, I think, too casual. I'm assuming you're doing some kind of street ministry. If you're working in a casual setting, great, if not I'd suggest an informal workplace style: a fitted top, casual skirt or nice slacks and comfortable flats.~

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Smile

Wear whatever makes you truly comfortable in warm weather. Believe me you will see it all in NYC. Have a good time.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by nuisance26 View Post
    ~For what your there for your wardrobe ideas sound comfortable but, I think, too casual. I'm assuming you're doing some kind of street ministry. If you're working in a casual setting, great, if not I'd suggest an informal workplace style: a fitted top, casual skirt or nice slacks and comfortable flats.~
    Yes, we'll be working in an extremely casual setting. We certainly have no desire to look "churchy" just regular joes.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by anna021 View Post
    Most important, comfortable shoes, couple pairs, something for evening if your going out, rain gear, nothing worse than getting caught in the rain on NY streets. Summer dresses, t's and jeans, I would say no shorts, but that's me. Oh, and tuck a couple of canvas bags in. NY'ers are always carrying something, if you carry a purse, carry one with a flap if you have one, and of course always carry the flap inside,(against your body). Stay aware of your surroundings, and enjoy!
    Just curious, why no shorts?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Carol, I thought the same thing. I spent some time in the village and well, lets just say don't worry about what you look like. One of the things I love about New York. So yes, take really comfortable shoes. Any purse you should be able to wear cross wise not over the shoulder. Just safer. Backpacks are also handy if you have a lot to carry. Hope you are able to take some time to site see. There are always so many things to do that are free there. The Metropolitan museum you can pay anything you want. The fee to get in is just suggested.