Would like some input
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default Would like some input

I would like some of your thoughts. I think I am at an appropriate circumstance in life when using credit makes sense - could use a sanity check.

Here is the situation - Just landed my dream job in a different city. I will be moving and leaving behind my daughter who wants to stay for college. She will be living in / renting a house that is owned within the family and getting roommates.

My thought is to leave her with a good portion of my furniture and other household stuff that is getting pretty old and get new after I move.

Have no current credit card or auto debt, but not much cash either. Just got wiped out selling my CA home. Job pays well and is with a solid company. I should be able to pay of any debt within a few months. I have good credit and try to be sensable.

I could use the proverbial milk crates for furniture for a while, but I would rather not.

What would you do?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Yeesh, with the way the economy is going I don't think I would go out and spend a chunk of money right now, but that is just me.

I think I would take the pieces you need like bed, dresser, desk, you know the stuff for every day......and then yes use the milk crates for a while, (and I mean a year). Until you see what is what at your new job.

JMHO,
    leezza

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I'd use the proverbial milk crates but after paying off 46K in icky cc and other non mortgage debt years ago I vowed never to debt again unless it was an asset that goes up in value.
    I loved it years ago when a family member bought a really gorgeous home in a beautiful gated community (honestly a keep up with the Jones community) and they had no real furniture for almost 2 years! They wanted all custom heirloom quality furniture to last a life time and beyond. They saved for the better part of 2 years to furnish it. I though that was really smart of them.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I would be hesitant to buy all new furniture with just starting a new job. There are so many other expenses involved with moving and you just never know what can happen. I would save a little every week just for your "furniture fund".

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Would it have to be brand new?
    Why not try looking on craigslist.com

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I would take what you need, and help your daughter by looking on freecycle.org and craigslist.org for free or very cheap furniture. You can even post wanted ads so you could find exactly what you're looking for. If I was debt free, I would definitely want to stay that way. Even if I knew I could pay it off soon.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

People can generate excuses all day for using credit. I still say if you can't pay in cash you cannot afford it.

Ask around for furniture, check thrift stores etc. Nobody is gonna die if their butt sits on a used sofa.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

In my first apartment all I had was a few pots and pans, a clock radio, a 13" used tv , cardboard drawers for my socks and undies and a mattress on the floor to sleep on. It stayed that way for a couple months until I gradually was able to buy some new furniture since new was what I wanted. No one complained about sitting on the floor. I ate off paper plates and used plastic dinnerware. I didn't even have a waste basket! Then the tv broke and all I had to listen to was the clock radio.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by pigtailsmom View Post
    I would be hesitant to buy all new furniture with just starting a new job. There are so many other expenses involved with moving and you just never know what can happen. I would save a little every week just for your "furniture fund".
    I agree, I would make do with the basics and save cash for these items..maybe just replace one thing at a time.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Opinions noted. I'm considering my options and I recognize and appreciate the perspectives here.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I'm also in the "don't finance new furniture" camp. Take the bare essentials with you, and buy new furniture to replace milk crates only as you save up cash to do so.

Furniture purchases on credit tend to go through places like Citi and Beneficial with great "6 months same as cash" offers - great until you realize that 6 months came and went and you didn't pay down the balance like you PROMISED yourself you would, and now you're paying minimum payments on $5,000 of new furniture on 15% interest.

Start your new job on a cash basis! You'll be happier you did!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

How far are you moving ? If its very far then the rental for moving the stuff and the gas to use the rental vehicle will probubly be substantial and in the end it may be better to leave behind the larger items and buy essentials new. Crunch those numbers though...

Maybe getting a bed a recliner or some soft chair and a folding tv dinner type table for now then saving up to get the other needs/wants.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I agree, don't start off having to deal with something that your not accustomed too.
    I would take the bare minimums with me and allow myself to "get settled" into my new job and start receiving my paychecks and then start thinking about how I want to furnish my place.

That will also allow yourself the time to shop around in the new area and find some of the best deals, or you could begin asking around at work and talk with others to find out where the best furniture places are.

I think it would be more satisfying to buy pieces/rooms at a time anyway. It would also give you something to do with your spare time.

But whatever you do, don't go into debt for furniture.
    It sounds to me like you have a really level head and make good financial decisions, so don't let the "new place, new job, starting a new period in my life" thing set you back with debt.

Congratulations on your new job & good luck!!!
    Michelle in middle Tennessee!

Ever so slowly rebuilding my stockpile...

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I agree with the Craigslist idea from Texasgirl. I would get settled into the job first. Who knows if the area you choose to live will be the place you want to settle into for long term? Go with the bare minimum, purchase the bare neccessities and start a fund for the furniture you will eventually want.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I agree with the others.
    I would take your bed with you and your essentials you know you will need and when you get settled in your job then look on craigslist for some furniture for your apartment. If new furniture is what you want start saving right away for it and when you can afford it(in cash), buy it and then relist the craigslist stuff to make some money back on it. Good luck with the move and your new job!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast