What does your spouse/SO think of FV?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Question What does your spouse/SO think of FV?

As far as I can tell, Greebo and Ceashels are a couple, but I don't know if any other posters are couples or not. And that leads to my post. What does your spouse or significant other think of your participation on FV?

I joined FV last November and quickly became accustomed and comfortable with the forum. It has given me a lot of tips and support during these months.

Hubby does not use the internet. He has nothing against it; he just doesn't use it. He doesn't mind that I use it, but he was curious as to why I spend time at FV. So I explained to him about "meeting" all the various kinds of people here, the advice given, the replies of people who were sympathetic about my Dad's cancer, and so forth.

Hubby still scratched his head. He said, "But you have loads of friends right here where we live. You've got a great family to rely on. Why do you need FV?"

I tried to explain that sometimes being anonymous allows for a little different perspective. He agreed. But I don't think he still really understands the value of FV as I do.

He said, "But we're debt free and we are already frugal. Why do you need advice about what you already know?" Once again, I acknowledged that we are doing OK, but that there is so much out there that I don't know. And I mentioned that sometimes I am able to draw on my experience or knowledge to help others.

Well, that was the clincher. He is all about helping others, and if I am able to help someone on FV, then he really saw value in it. He was proud of some of the posts that I had written. (Don't know if I really do help anyone else here, but I'd like to think that I do!)

Does your spouse/SO mind that you write on FV? Do they think it is too personal? Do they read your posts? Do they see any benefit to your family.... any change for the better since you have started participating in FV? How have you got him/her on board to see the value of FV? Do they think that it is a waste of time?

Just curious......
    Last edited by forHISglory; 08-20-2008 at 04:54 PM.
    Spiritual:
    "You are fearfully and wonderfully made." Please... respect life.

Financial:
    Debt free, hoping to stay that way!

MY BLOG: glorybug.wordpress.com

1. Keep on writing.
    2. Get some balance in my life.
    3. Lose weight. Hopefully 20# this year.
    4. Continue to be looking for how God wants to use me this year.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Mine has come to realise it's more than me just posting words here and there. It's a camaraderie between people of like mind. I find inspiration, how-to, and more here. He likes that i have found a source of information without judgment.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

No, my DH is very supportive and trusting of what I do online... I've never given him any reason to not trust me. LOL... When I bring ideas to him about tips for saving money, etc., he actually is as excited as I am... lol

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

DH never uses the internet. If he wants to look something up, he has me or the kids do it for him. He knows all about FV, and he doesn't mind. He probably is thinking that anything that will make me spend less money is a great thing!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

My dh has no idea that I belong to this community. he does not use the internet. But I do know that he would fit right in here with all of you wonderful people. He was raised in a very frugal household and he is also a very smart man who knows something about most subjects. One thing though, he knows my passion for holistic health and I try to limit it during my conversations with him. I think he would skip over the alternative health forum LOL.....I know I must drive him crazy at times:-)

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Mine is okay with the village. He knows it helps me even if he has no idea how lol!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

my dh is all over me posting here.
    he wants to know how people are doing, especially people with farms and such. that is our dream, to have our own farm.
    he likes that i can get on here and it is a fountain of info for being "cheap" as his family puts it. but with our way of thinking, it's being smart!
    he doesn't get on the computer that much, so he will have me let him know what i have learned today or if i have posted and gotten any good advice.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Dk knows that a belong to a few frugal sites.
    He does not mind as long as it helps me to save money.

Sites like this keep me out of the stores.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by forHISglory View Post
    As far as I can tell, Greebo and Ceashels are a couple, but I don't know if any other posters are couples or not. And that leads to my post. What does your spouse or significant other think of your participation on FV?
    Greebo and Who? Never heard of her...

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

DF made fun of me at first but now he wonders why I don't post more....can't quite figure him out!!!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Shadetree is my fiance and he's a member here but doesn't post much as he's so busy.
    He checks his emails from work but thats about it lately on the internet
    Last edited by Holly; 08-20-2008 at 05:45 PM.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

DH knows I'm on several forums, but doesn't really pay much attn. He has noticed I've been more frugal the last couple of years. He has even started leaving plastic ziplock bags out for me to wash out, without me saying anything. LOL!

I never really discuss what my forums are about, much. He has a couple of forums he is on (or at least lurks) that are about his hobbies.

We are homebodies and don't socialize a whole lot, except for family (we have BIG families), so I think we both enjoy talking on the 'net'.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I talk about things from here to DH pretty often. I'll say "So and so from Frugal Village posted this today," or "I learned this on Frugal Village today." He's happy that I'm saving our money by hanging out at the computer.

pip
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Well, he kind of makes fun of me, but maybe not in a mean way. He's not really into frugality, although he can be frugal about certain things. I don't think he minds that I come to this site, just doesn't really understand why I like to. We're very different in so many ways.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

My husband knows I post here and at least one other place (a daily cleaning site) cause I told him so. I don't share a lot with him about what I say here and I certainly wouldn't be happy if he came here to post. I do share a little more about the other site, but not much. I wouldn't want him to post there either.

He is a gamer and his internet use is limited to finding "walk-throughs" and playing xbox. I am perfectly happy with that. He also looked up info on heart attachs and other stuff of specific interest.
    EmilyD

Change/Piggy Bank Jar Challenge (I use it for my clothes allowance)
    All silver change into piggy for 1 year (Oct 2019) (Will turn in today 1/3)
    Household savings account $200.00 monthly, current bal. $900.00
    My savings: current bal. 10.00
    Pay extra on mortgage/loan/auto $50.00 @ monthly

Projects for 2020:
    # 1 New front porch
    Major declutter house
    Major declutter garage

2020 Stash Management
    2020 Frugal Challenge
    2020 House Purge / Declutter Challenge
    2020 Meal Planning Challenge
    2020 Grocery Budget Challenge $250.00 monthly