Auto transport

Thread: Auto transport

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Default Auto transport

Has anyone ever used an auto transport company to move a vehicle?
    We are moving across country and not sure that we want to drive two cars (or pull one with a truck and drive the other). Our second car is metro and does not do well on the highway, but is great around town. We have contemplated selling it, but we probably would not be able to get more than $500 for it. I would probably cost twice that to replace it. We got the car for free.
    We are thinking about using a auto transporter to move the Metro 2000 miles. It would cost about $1000 to transport it.

We will more than likely rent a truck and pull our Malibu Maxx. It would be nice if both us could go together and not both drive.
    My Dh's new employer is going to help us with the moving costs.

My Dh is a sports reporter and uses the car a lot and having second vehicle is very nice. Both cars are paid for and get great gas mileage.
    I am sorry that this got kind of long.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I don't understand why you'd pay twice the value of a car to have the car moved. I don't think that makes much sense but maybe I'm missing something...?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Let me clarify.
    The Blue book private party resale value is between $2,500 to $3,500. But we are fairly confident that we could not get more than $500 to maybe $1000 for it. It has some cosmetic issues and has a salvage title due to prior (before us) accident.

Part of the reason we want to keep it is because it has been very reliable and is paid for. My husband does not think that we could get a car that just as reliable for less than $1000.

If we were to sell it we would not buy another car. We would try to make due without. That may be be very difficult with my husband's job. I would be stranded at home nearly every evening.

Another issue is that we have the money to move the car and not to buy another car because my husband's employer is helping us move.

Another issue is that we don't want both of us have to drive the 2000 miles, but we may both have too.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Oh ok. Well in that case, I think that paying to have it moved would probably be a good idea... but that's not what your asking.

We've never used one of the moving companies, but we did just move from Groton, CT to Washington state, and we drove two separate cars. It was a pain in the butt. I would have much preferred to be able to hang out with him and switch the driving.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Nishu View Post
    We've never used one of the moving companies, but we did just move from Groton, CT to Washington state, and we drove two separate cars. It was a pain in the butt. I would have much preferred to be able to hang out with him and switch the driving.
    We are moving from Iowa to Oregon. Since I am from Washington State, I know much of pain the drive is. We would prefer to be able to both drive. You are braver than I am.
    To be honest we have gone back and forth about whether to keep the car or sell it and about whether to drive two cars across country or to ship one of the cars.
    Moving is hard, but in the end my husband will have a better job, I will have more job opportunities and we will be closer to family.
    Thank you for your reply.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Julie,

you may want to contact local trucking companies and see if any of their drivers are dead heading from your area to where you are moving, if there truck is empty they may want to move it for a reasonable rate to not have to move an empty truck???? Worth a try anyway.

leezza

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

use a drive away company. college students who need to travel or "student move" will use your car to get where they need.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I had never thought about checking with trucking companies. Thank you for the idea.
    I have never heard of Drive Away. I will have to check into that. I am not sure if any one would want to drive our Metro across country but it is worth looking into.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by leezza View Post
    Julie,

you may want to contact local trucking companies and see if any of their drivers are dead heading from your area to where you are moving, if there truck is empty they may want to move it for a reasonable rate to not have to move an empty truck???? Worth a try anyway.

leezza
    This is totally based on my experience, but semi trailers are normally switched out and not permanently associated with any one truck... They bobtail if they have nothing to haul and don't haul empty trailers.

ETA, ok nevermind. I guess you meant a trailerless truck, not a cargoless trailer.
    Last edited by Nishu; 08-22-2008 at 09:00 PM.