Growing old...
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Growing old...

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default Growing old...

So, I spent the day with DH helping do stuff at MIL/FIL's home today. Bring in lawn ornaments and screen house, furniture and putting banking around their house.

Now my inlaws are still pretty independant but they are not physically able to do a lot of this kind of heavy work that requires lifting, flexibility etc.

My MIL made the comment of how much they appreciated it and she was remembering back to Holidays and how she cooked for 20 plus people (from scratch) plus the house got a top to bottom and very thorough cleaning. Which I think she now keeps a very tidy house but she was saying how it isn't they way she has always kept it.

But, anyhow it got me to thinking about how focused we can be on the financial aspects of retirement but either forget or don't want to think about they physical aspects and how what we take for granted in being able to do now, we may not be able to do in 20 or 30 years.

Has anyone else thought about this?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Oh yeah. I used to think about things like this too much since I was afraid of growing old. I'm more accepting of it now, but I still don't like to think about what it entails such as what my physical limitations might be, or my hubbys, or losses that happen.

Gosh this sounds so depressing, what I just wrote. I need to go watch or read something more uplifting........

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

A little bit, but just because I worry that my parents may have taken on too much when they built their dream house. There are now more stairs (both to the 2nd floor and basement), and just the general upkeep of a log cabin. I also worry about them being halfway up a mountain considering the snow amounts that they have gotten in the past. I just worry about them. We are looking at simplifying our housing and it seems like they just added to theirs.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I know what you mean. I can still do most things myself, (mow, yardwork, etc), but it is nice to have my middle ds close by to help with some things. He is such a tremendous help to me.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

My dad is amazingly fit for 82, but even he admitted that maybe my 14yo should help him re-roof his garage this summer. Sooner or later aches and pains will take over. I think I worry more about that than $$. Afterall, if I'm fit I can work. My kids jokingly devised a plan where I live with each one taking us for 52 days ( a loser gets us the 53rd, LOL).

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

well sure, and it will happen.
    but that's why we do what we can now, and make things easier for ourselves for the future.
    if every year you put decorations on your roof... make a "promise"... "after age 50" or "after the kids are grown and move away".... something realistic, to just not do some things anymore. it doesnt mean you have to stop everything altogether....

or by downsizing... moving to a smaller dwelling, or just getting rid of much of the unused within or outside your house already that you just don't need, want or use any longer.

we can plan smart and be hopeful for the future.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I worry about this all the time. DH is only 43 and already having problems due to the MS. Yesterday he butchered and by the time he was done, he could barely walk. My right ankle bothers me alot but I just wrap it and go on. makes me wonder what it will be like 10 or even 5 years down the line.

Debbie

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Well I already have many of the aches and pains and can't do as much as I used to and I know that I ain't getting any younger but I also am not as focused on keeping a perfect house as I used to be I'd much rather do my crafts and sewing.I am a little sad that I can't keep up with my gardening though and have already started to downsize in that area.I find that talk of downsizing is in many conversations with my friends,and so I think it is just another stage we go through in our lives,coming to the realisation of our limitations

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I can't think this way because I honestly believe that our thoughts create our reality. I think just the opposite, that I am going to be running marathons well into my 90's! I know that my healthy lifestyle now is going to pay off in the long run.
    Great topic!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I think about HOW I might handle decreasing abilities IF they apply later on, but have had the good fortune to watch women in my family be able to do things like climb the pyramids in Mexico in their 90's - so I am hoping to hold up well. My own vision is declining, but to me that is more a challenge to figure out other ways to do things safely than a reason to stop doing things - driving may eventually become an exception, but then if I can learn to think of driving as a way to get someplace I want to go rather than as an activity, I can just find other ways to get places.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I think about more than most people my age (36) I have a rare peripheral nervous system disorder that is causing my muscle strength to slowly deteriorate. You wouldn't know it to look at me now but I am starting to feel it more and more and as I look at family members that are older than me that also have this they are usually unable to walk by their sixties so I take nothing for granted. I hope my mind stays sharp and active on dh's side alzheimers runs rampant but they remain physically strong. I don't know which I would rather suffer from I just hope I can handle it with humor and grace.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I definately think about it more now. Especially since I am starting to notice a little more aches and pains. I just try to exercise and eat well to help ward off as much aging as possible.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I have already thought about how we could modify our house so we could live on the main level and would not have to do stairs. It's easy to hire a service to take care of outside chores.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I am 50 but feel like 70. Keeping the house clean is so depressing because it is so hard for me to do.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I am retired and maybe a little older than several on this forum, but no means "old." Yet I have given much thought to many aspects of aging, including financial.

Physically, I have determined to keep my weight down, to exercise daily, to take my vitamins and supplements, to get regular check ups and tests (like mammogram, pap, etc.), and to visit a massage therapist about every two months. My joints are starting to give me fits and I have a lot of aching in the hip joints. Nevertheless, I stay as active and busy as possible. Now that I am retired, I can work more exercise into my schedule.

Socially, I am as busy as ever, maybe busier since I have more free time. I have a wide circle of friends and we make time to be with each other on a regular basis. I have a strong family network, and although we don't live close, we are a close family. I do volunteer work and work at my church. I think that remaining social is an important part of aging, also.

Mentally, I spend a lot of time thinking and pondering. (Bet you couldn't guess that from my posts, eh?). I keep up with the news, and do a lot of reading. Hubby and I love to discuss politics and religion, so I'm always studying up on those. Hubby and I like to play games that keep our minds ticking, and besides, it's great fun! And I continue to teach a couple of classes, which invite a lot of thinking and discussion.

Emotionally, I try to look on the sunny side. I don't ignore the darkness around me, but I choose to concentrate on my blessings. I try to keep a balanced attitude and to be kind and gentle with others. My worst trait is impatience, so I try to emotionally train myself to slow down and appreciate all who may be different than me.

Spiritually, I do a private Bible study each day and journal my study. I also attend church regularly and Bible study class twice a week. When I am spiritually fit, then the rest of me is fit!

So yes, there is much more to plan for retirement than just finances. I have had the example and wisdom of 3 generations before me to hone my philosophy. I knew my great grandparents, grandparents, and parents and watched how they lived their older years. Hope I can do as well!
    Last edited by forHISglory; 10-30-2008 at 03:08 PM.
    Spiritual:
    "You are fearfully and wonderfully made." Please... respect life.

Financial:
    Debt free, hoping to stay that way!

MY BLOG: glorybug.wordpress.com

1. Keep on writing.
    2. Get some balance in my life.
    3. Lose weight. Hopefully 20# this year.
    4. Continue to be looking for how God wants to use me this year.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast