Programmed Car Key -Ripoff.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default Programmed Car Key -Ripoff.

Upon requesting a spare key for a 2008 Chrysler Grand Caravan, this is what price was quoted for the key. I consider this price outrageous.
    http://www.durgan.org/ShortURL/?ZKRLK Picture of the programmed car key.

Upon requesting a replacement the price was found to be 300 dollars.
    $225 for the black portion, $40 for the programming, $35 for the emergency metal key. Plus taxes.

This cost is totally out of line.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

That is expensive, isn't it? I lost ours for about a year and we just did without.

I was going to say that I noticed a sign the other day at a store called Batteries Plus advertising them, and I bet it's for much less. Maybe you could see if there is one in your area.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I was told the same thing when I bought my Mitsubishi Eclipse. They said not to lose the spare key because another would be around $300.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

the tech term for the thing is the "key FOB"
    The FOB stands for "Fricken Overpriced Button"

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I found a lock smith that will do it for 65.00.........
    Fern

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

We bought our car used and it only came with one key fob and 2 keys. We really wanted a second one. We asked our dealer about it and he had the his locksmith do one for us for about $50. I think we were originally quoted $200 by the dealership in town. It pays to ask around.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

note to self:

"do NOT loose key to new car"

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by aimeebee View Post
    My husband researched online and found out how to program his own. You can buy the computerized key on ebay. Then it is pretty simple to make it work in your car. Something like turn it on wait for 3 clicks, open the door, turn it off and turn it back on. I know that isn't exactly it...but very close. I'm sure you can find it online. DH did this to get extra keys for all our cars, for his parents, sister, a couple of friends and the vans and trucks at his work. The keys only cost like $10-$15 on ebay and you have to take them to WM or someplace to get them cut and then "program" them to work on your car. It will save you about two hundred bucks each time. Some of hubby's friends have even paid him cash, bought him lunch or dinner and/or other misc. things as repayment.
    When can he do mine???

I was told the same thing by Toyota when I bought my 2008. I also love have they have it rigged that when that when you have to change a tire or get new tires that darn "air tire pressure" indicator light goes on and you can't get it off unless you bring it to the dealer for them to put the "code" in it. And don't break one of those sensors on those tires - That will cost you about $200 a piece!. What a racket!

Registered User phoeny_moonstar's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I think that they do these things to get more money out of the consumer! It's over priced and ridiculous and us as consumers need to make sure and tell these companies! *end rant!*

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

My husband researched online and found out how to program his own. You can buy the computerized key on ebay. Then it is pretty simple to make it work in your car. Something like turn it on wait for 3 clicks, open the door, turn it off and turn it back on. I know that isn't exactly it...but very close. I'm sure you can find it online. DH did this to get extra keys for all our cars, for his parents, sister, a couple of friends and the vans and trucks at his work. The keys only cost like $10-$15 on ebay and you have to take them to WM or someplace to get them cut and then "program" them to work on your car. It will save you about two hundred bucks each time. Some of hubby's friends have even paid him cash, bought him lunch or dinner and/or other misc. things as repayment.
    How about getting DH online, and have him elaborate for us peasants. Clearly there is room for some third party intervention in this racket.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Bring it on over with a pizza and a six pack and I'm sure he would work you in.

OK. Sounds good but I'm going to have to wait for gas to go down to about a buck a gallon.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I work in car rental, and yes keys are unbelievable to replace. We rent mostly Dodge and Chrysler and I cringe when I have to charge a customer for a lost key. But if we don't then the leasing company charges us when the vehicles go back.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Good Lord, please help me from ever loosing the key fob thingy. I'll have to remember this thread incase I ever do!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Wowsers

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I could go on for hours on this subject. I lost my only set of keys. I called the "stealership" for replacements. key= $300 programming = $100 ugh. I called around to locksmiths and looked on ebay but my keys can only be programmed by the dealership. Ship time was a week. That was also the amount of time I cried!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast