Frugal Village Forums banner

Before Frugal Village...

3K views 21 replies 20 participants last post by  Doggiemom 
#1 ·
First, I wanted to say what a great forum this is... I have been a member since last January, but mainly just a lurker. One of my new year's resolutions was to come out of lurkdom and start posting more! LOL

I wanted to thank everyone in this forum for all the wonderful frugal tips I've learned and have been implementing in my lifestyle since finding this place last year.

Before Frugal Village... I never shopping with a grocery list.
Before Frugal Village... I never even bothered to do a menu or meal plan for the week.

THIS alone has saved me so much money over this past year. I have been able to now buy exactly what I need and know that I will use during the week... instead of just "winging it".

Before Frugal Village... I never had a "real" budget. Sure, I knew what money was coming into the household and what was being paid out, but to actually sit down, put a budget in place for various household expenses (like food) and stick to it has helped keep me on track.

Before Frugal Village... I would never have even thought of going to a thrift store to see if they may have something I am looking for, rather than just running to the store to buy it. Both my DH and I love going to our thrift store and usually go at least once a month.

It took a little while, but my DH is even on board with being frugal and enjoys knowing that we've saved a little money here and there by changing our lifestyle and/or habits. I will be honest and also tell you that more than once I fell off the "frugal wagon", but by coming here this past year, you have given me a frugal "reality check" and I get right back on that wagon.

So, even though I've been a lurker for quite sometime and have learned so many things, I though to myself how much more I could learn by actually participating! LOL

What was your life like before Frugal Village? :)

See less See more
#2 ·
I guess I would have to say Im still *frugal -in-training*. I have learned alot since I joined and I am now saving money when we have almost half the income coming in that we did! I am using more coupons and watching that we arent wasting food and such. I have a mini stockpile going and Im pleased that I buy when things are on sale and stock them up. My DH is in school for at least another year and a half so the income isnt going to get better until after that. We are making all our monthly payment... nothing is behind and Im slowly paying down my debt a little at a time! Yes....life is much different for me after coming here...and so much better.

#3 ·
I have learned alot from these ladies and gentlemen. Everything from cooking tips, cleaning tips, to multiple ways to save money. That's what I love about this site, if you can't find the answer you want, just post the question and someone will help. It's motivation to stay on track when you check in here often.

#4 ·
Well.....I was always frugal to a point, much more so than anyone I knew except my own parents and Gripey's mom.....but I too, have learned a lot and love the commaradarie here more than anything. :hug2:

#5 ·
I've been a member for about seven months now and honestly, those last seven months have made up for the last eleven years in my book. I lived in a household with not a lot of money as a kid, but I never bothered to figure out how my mom stretched it so far. Now I see how...

Before Frugal Village, I never kept track of my expenses when I was at the grocery store. Now, I have a price book and I never buy the item that week if it's more expensive than I can get it elsewheres or at another time.

Before Frugal Village, I never had a budget. We were always in overdraft. Now, we have a detailed budget and are on our way to finally paying off the MDG debt that's been with us for the last four years!

Before Frugal Village, we were spending $800/mo at the grocery store. Now, I spend about $300-$400 less! We also stockpile and I've received a bunch of things to help simply our lives.

Before Frugal Village, our marriage and our family life was pretty much in shambles. So much stress for something we could have controlled so long ago. Now we're doing awesome and DH is totally on board!

I'd be in a bigger mess if it wasn't for this place. Everyone has been so awesome and I've been able to share some of my newfound joys with others in the same mindset. :)

#6 ·
Before FV, life was not a lot different for us. We had always been careful with money and were hard workers. FV let me see that we weren't the odd ones. It gives me companionship with like-minded souls. It gives me wonderful ideas. So while we are still the same frugal folks that we always were, we are richer for who we know and what we know from the Village. Thanks!

#8 ·
Before frugal village....

Our family struggled with money. We had a hard time with keeping up with where our money was going...which led to a bounced check or two. We never had money for emergencies. We thought that the more stuff we had..the happier we would be. Afterall that is how it seems that everyone else we know is living. Now we know differently.

We have begun to simplify our home. We now look at every purchase to see if it is a want or need. There is an emergency fund, money in the checking and savings account and bills are being paid on time. We are learning more ways to be self sufficient which is very important to us in this day and time. We are happier.

There is still so much to learn and we have several financial goals that we are working toward. I feel that with the support of everyone here and some determination on our part, we will meet these goals.

#9 ·
Before FV, I thought I was the only person with financial problems. I thought there was no one who I could ask for advice, because everyone around me seemed so "put together" and didn't seem to be having problems.

Since joining FV, I have discovered over and over that others share the same issues that I do, and that I have a huge network of friends with whom I can be honest and feel like I am getting honest and non-0judgmental advice in return.

I am still on the uphill journey back out of financial debt, but since joining FV, I feel optimistic that the total debt figure at the end of my sig will some day be ZERO!! :)

#10 ·
Before FV, I never realized there were so many others who feel the same way I do about frugality. :)

Reactions: jilly_beans
#11 ·
I didn't know there were others ( or at least SO many LOL), who lived like we do. A simple life without all the "keeping up with the neighbors" silliness. Who believe it makes sense to be prepared...for anything. To grow your own food and know that it's so satisfying to observe the natural progression of things in nature and living.
I haven't been here that long, but I sure do like this place and the folks here! <3 :)

#12 ·
I am still very new to FV and have been on here for about 2 months. I wish so bad that I had found the site a long time ago. I have been so motivated reading all of your posts and am now addicted with checking out what you all are up to and talking about each day.

I have always been a menu planner but I have gotten great ideas from you all on how to make multiple meals out of one thing. I have slipped in cheaper meals with my family and they haven't even noticed/complained. My grocery bill has dropped quite a bit.

I have made other changes in my electricity usage, cut off cable, begun to use the library more, etc. Most of the ideas/motivation for this came from you all.

I love knowing that there are others out there that feel the same way that I do about frugality and saving money. I can honestly say that I have been happier since I started implementing some of these small changes in my life.

#13 ·
I am also so thankful for Frugal village.

Before Frugal village I was a spender. I would go out and buy and charge just for the heck of it. Now I no longer use credit cards and I stay home alot home more.

Before Frugal village I never knew anything about frugal living and now I am learning more and more every day thanks to you all.

Before Frugal village I never knew you could make you own cleaners and soap. But now I do.

Thanks to you all I am a changed woman.

#14 ·
I'm still fairly new to FV, but what I find is that it's much easier to stay motivated.

We were already being pretty frugal in some ways, but FV helped me move up a notch AND figure out the next steps in killing our debt.

This motivation has also helped me start working on a more peaceful self and home. It's early days yet. It's tough to tell from my posts because I tend to fight negativity by writing it down, but taken all-in-all I'm feeling more hopeful lately than I have in a long time. I suppose it's knowing that there are others on the same road. We're not alone in changing our lifestyle to something more realistic.

I have to say, I also really really appreciate that so far I've encountered very little "black and white" thinking on FV. We're all making the choices that make sense for our families, trying to make the best of the situation we find ourselves in. And for the most part there is acceptance that what works for one may not work for another. I've seen way too many boards where it wasn't like that.

#15 ·
I think that this forum is the best thing ever!!! It is almost like having pen-pals ALL over the world, ones that share their troubles, misgivings, happiness, fortunes, and so much more!!! These things alone I think, are what make us such a wonderful, close-knit community!!

I have only been an FV member for less than a year, so we are still learning quite a bit!! Before FV we spent, spent, and spent, always had to have something new!! Now, we've learned to make over what we already have for something new!!

We are working out a budget and finding one that works for us, but I am much more careful with where I spend my money and now it sometimes really bothers me to have to go shopping sometimes!!! LOL!!

I still have a lot to learn, but knowing I can find any answer I have here is a great relief for me. Plus I know that someone here has gone through it and will only give me suggestions on how to deal with it not force me or belittle me into doing something that won't work for my family!!

#16 ·
Before I joined frugal village we were making double the money, yet had no savings, so much debt and nothing to show for it. When I joined frugal village it was because our income was cut in half and we didnt know how we were going to survive. With half the income now we have more than we did before, only have one debt (recently incurred) and actually have money in a savings account!! I have learned too many things here to mention and really appreciate this site!

#19 ·
I have been an off and on member here at FV for a year or so, but I find myself here now more than ever and I am learning SO much from those of you who are FAR more frugal than I have been. I am learning to make our funds stretch, to stock up for rainy days and DH is very proud of me!

#20 ·
before I joined FV, I was doing ok. I was paying of debt and I was tracking my payments and progress.

after I joined FV I have really been attacking my debt. The funny thing is that I am working much less at my p.t. job so I have less income but I am doing a better job of stretching it.

thank you to all of you who post here, give tips and help offer your hugs and support. this is the best site on the internet for frugal living IMHO....

Hugs to all ya Frugal ladies and gentlemen out there !!!!:vibes:

You guys are the greatest and you have really helped me a lot with my goals and with my motivation !!

#21 ·
Before FV I was only a wee bit frugal - but I did realise that things had to change.
After joining, I read what everyone else had done/is doing and it gave me SO much motivation to look for more ways to cut back.

The greatest strength of FV in my opinion is the genuine friendliness of the members. There is always someone who will answer you with advice or just a kind word of encouragement.
This is such a simple thing in itself but is so powerful when you need it most.
I feel honored to be a part of this forum.
((((HUGS))))

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.