why are people so mean?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Registered User Contrary Housewife's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Default why are people so mean?

I was casually chatting with folks about the high cost of medicines these days, and one of the guys said something to the effect of "drugs aren't expensive, a bottle of aspirin is less than $5, so individual pills are less than penny apiece." Like somehow all the world's problems can be solved by aspirin.

I had to respond and say that if you needed any kind of REAL medicine for a serious health issue it was considerably more than 1c a pill, for example just ONE of my arthritis meds costs me $5 a DAY.

And I immediately get back a chorus of comments like "You should be grateful you have the medicine at all." and "So either pay for it or stop complaining."

??? What? I wasn't complaining, just pointing out some facts about prices. I didn't utter a single whine about how difficult it is to pay, or complain that I don't get free healthcare..... and yet I get all this vitriol from people.

What the heck?
    Stop trying to organize all of your family’s crap. If organization worked for you, you’d have rocked it by now. It’s time to ditch stuff and de-crapify your world.

If you're not using the stuff in your home, get rid of it. You're not going to start using it more by shoving it into a closet.

Use it up, Wear it out,
    Make it do, Or do without. ~unknown

Because we, the people, have the power to build a better future. KH

Registered User thesightofoneself's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

people get bored and decide to take out their anger on strangers. but i agree with you on the cost of medicines
    Last edited by thesightofoneself; 03-17-2009 at 12:22 AM.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

seems mean spirited..sorry that happened to you.

Honestly sometimes I think healthcare has become some sort of third rail (the electrically charged one in a rail system) in our society. It doesn't matter how innocuous the statement..it's fightin' words.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I wish my health problems can be fixed with aspirin........my meds cost way to much. People act as if its not them nobody else counts
    Fern

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by Contrary Housewife View Post
    And I immediately get back a chorus of comments like "You should be grateful you have the medicine at all." and "So either pay for it or stop complaining."

??? What? I wasn't complaining, just pointing out some facts about prices. I didn't utter a single whine about how difficult it is to pay, or complain that I don't get free healthcare..... and yet I get all this vitriol from people.

What the heck?
    Hmm... sounds to me like someone has some really good insurance. I don't even have to pay for my meds and I still complain about the wait at the pharmacy.

I think the thevail is right about the issue being charged. People are so used to putting up a fight about healthcare that they'll preemptively argue their point when they hear the issue pop up. Strange people.

I bet these folks would be more than happy to complain about the price of gas or groceries.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Could have been a pharaceutical rep. It is a VERY lucrative job! Or maybe they didnt have good health coverage and were jealous of yours? I have to pay for my kids health coverage (the X wont / cant pay though he is supposed to) so I cnat afford it for myself. But I am rarely sick so it is OK. But every once in a while I miss it - dental insurance especially.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Some people like to hear the sound of their own voice. lol

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by lvngwell View Post
    Could have been a pharaceutical rep. It is a VERY lucrative job! Or maybe they didnt have good health coverage and were jealous of yours? I have to pay for my kids health coverage (the X wont / cant pay though he is supposed to) so I cnat afford it for myself. But I am rarely sick so it is OK. But every once in a while I miss it - dental insurance especially.
    I know so many people in that boat...it's sad. Just the idea that someone can't have even the most basic stuff done because there just isn't enough money.
    Hugs for you honey..and find a dentist with a good reputation and go in and talk to them..a lot of them will do a dental procedure for a pretty nominal fee if you'll pay in cash.

I had a crown done that way even though I HAVE dental insurance, it was actually cheaper just to pay the dentist than to pay the co-pay.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

They should consider themselves lucky that they don't need anything more than aspirin! This is a simple case of talking big about a subject that they know nothing about!

You know how it is........the best experts on a subject are those who don't actually deal with it. Haven't you ever noticed how the biggest experts on parenting are people with no kids? LOL

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I guess people like to feel that they have the answers to everything.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Pharmacueticals are such a charged issue these days. Probably no matter what side of the fence you were on, somewhere there would have disagreed with you.

And some people, like myself are fortunate enough not to require regular perscription meds, so we don't always understand the cost involved to live a day to day life on meds. The difference I guess with me, is that I understand how expensive they can be, and I can be empathetic even though I've never been in that boat. Some people's scope of thought doesn't go past their own experiences. Know what I mean?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I think that gentleman (sic) confused aspirin with stupid pills, and OD'ed on a $5 bottle, or two.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default There are just some negative people.

I totally know where you are coming from. Some people are just negative and think they are right about everything. You just have to wait for them to need meds then they will understand. Yes some cancer drugs are 100+ a day. Also many elderly people have a list of 25 meds and even if the copay is 5 or 10 bucks a pop that is a lot of money and many of the plans for anyone have a cap and many people dont get all their meds they need.

One day I was at the grocery store in line at the deli counter with my pulled number. It was a sunday and there was a line of about 6 people which is to be expected after church because everyone wants hot ham and rolls. Anyway, that day there was a devasating commercial airline crash in the news from the night before and I was all sad about that and thinking about that as I was in line and there was this crabby snotty lady just complaining about the line, how the workers were not working fast enough, how she did not like taking a number and me being the quiet one usually just turned around and said lady, you are complaining about being in a short line waiting for some food while there are 300 people just killed in that airline crash and all their family members are at home devastated and all you can complain about is your not getting your meat fast enough. She shut up so fast and her face was so red. Everyone looked at me with approval.

Just know you are better than them and their eyes will open eventually to the truth.

McD
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

People feel bad about themselves or their situation and want to put others down to make themselves feel good.

As someone who has always had awesome insurance, I can tell you I would have no idea about how much medication actually costs. But I can tell you I have nothing but sympathy for people who have to pay out the wazoo.

Registered User monkeywrangler71's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Contrary Housewife View Post
    I was casually chatting with folks about the high cost of medicines these days, and one of the guys said something to the effect of "drugs aren't expensive, a bottle of aspirin is less than $5, so individual pills are less than penny apiece." Like somehow all the world's problems can be solved by aspirin.
    Slightly of topic, but wow, I've never seen a bottle of aspirin with 500 pills in it. Wouldn't 500 expire before most people could use them?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast