I'm giving up....Aldis.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default I'm giving up....Aldis.

I usually go to Aldis once or twice a month to stock up. It's about a 25 minute drive from my home. I went today and was quite disappointed. I know prices have gone up everywhere, but Aldis is usually still cheaper on most things...not for my area any longer.

4# of sugar-$2.05 (can get it at my local grocery on sale for 1.59 to 1.79)
    veg. oil-$2.79 (can get that for 2.29 on sale)
    canned veggies are 49 cents a can...I can usually get name brand canned goods for 2/$1 on sale.

Theses are just the first things that popped into my head when I was typing this, but most everything I looked at I kept thinking, I can get that cheaper in town. It's just not worth the drive for me anymore. It's like losing a dear friend lol. I will just have to watch the sales flyers closer and do a better job at stocking up when things are on sale.

cau
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Aldis is still cheaper on most items in my neck of the woods.Beans and corn are still just .29 a can. I just hope it stays that way

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

That's too bad! I'm still seeing much better prices at Aldi's than in the grocery stores here. Maybe you just have really good grocery stores?!

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I've never thought Aldis was any great shakes. I question some of their products and have found Expire merchandise on their shelves several times. I'll stick with Super Wal-Mart. Even their GV products put me a bit more at ease than some of the never-heard-of-before products at Aldis.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I'm not hip on our Aldi's, the store was dirty and I was afraid to purchase meat there. It doesn't matter though, the store closed down a couple of weeks ago anyway.
    Last edited by Missourimom; 04-02-2009 at 11:45 PM.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I find that aldis is still the cheapest around here. Not everything but enough so that I go once a month and stock up.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

We went to the Aldi's once and I was not impressed at all. I had high expectations after reading all of the positive posts here. Maybe they are different in other regions. I was disappointed in the selection and price. The meat & produce looked sub-par. The only item that looked like a good deal was the milk. Again, it might be a regional thing.

Registered User phoeny_moonstar's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I've personally never had a problem with our Aldi here. Both of them in my town have clean stores, helpful staff, good quality and selection of merchandise for a discounted price. I really couldn't ask for more in a grocery store. Sorry about your disappointing visit at Aldi.

Registered User pop goes the weasel's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Ours are the same around here. I find better deals at the local store I shop at. There were expired products and the produce was bad so I never went back.

Banned
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by DJ1972 View Post
    I usually go to Aldis once or twice a month to stock up. It's about a 25 minute drive from my home. I went today and was quite disappointed. I know prices have gone up everywhere, but Aldis is usually still cheaper on most things...not for my area any longer.

4# of sugar-$2.05 (can get it at my local grocery on sale for 1.59 to 1.79)
    veg. oil-$2.79 (can get that for 2.29 on sale)
    canned veggies are 49 cents a can...I can usually get name brand canned goods for 2/$1 on sale.

Theses are just the first things that popped into my head when I was typing this, but most everything I looked at I kept thinking, I can get that cheaper in town. It's just not worth the drive for me anymore. It's like losing a dear friend lol. I will just have to watch the sales flyers closer and do a better job at stocking up when things are on sale.

Thats exactly what I said the last time I went! And I really didn't see that much in the way of food that I'd actually use. Everything was geared towards kids imo. And the trashy looking clothes or house hold goods....uh, no thanks.It's 45 mins one way for me. I won't be going again.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I think our Save a lot is like Aldis. I shopped there exclusively for at least 10 years. Then, after joining FV and learning how to shop the sales I started looking around at other stores. The prices at Save a lot had really gone up. I CAN do better else where. Canned fruit went up to 88 cents a can. The canned vegies went way up too.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I have no problem with my Aldi's, I can still stock up on basics and the produce in mine is actually pretty good..We have another discount store in the area also and that offers an even bigger selection than Aldi's. We used to have a Save A Lot here as well...but they went out of business after 5 years. I actually worked for them the entire time they were open. So I knew where all their foods were made etc....The quality in Save A Lot foods is the same of Major name brands..and they have a money back guarantee, if you don't like it once you tried it, bring it back and they will refund your money.. And the one thing I really like about Save A Lot is the accepted coupons on top of their already discounted prices!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I wish I had an Aldi's to give up

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

The one I go to is actually very clean, and the produce is nice. The prices have just gone up to where it doesn't make sense for me to make the 25 minute drive or to buy their "off brand" when I can get better quality for the same price or even cheaper.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I have found that on staples, like the things that you mentioned, Aldi's is not the cheapest here either.

We have an over abundance of grocery stores, so they compete for our business here. So things like meat, dairy, produce, canned veggies and baking staples are cheaper at the regular chain groceries. However, conveinece foods like boxed cereal, coffee creamer, mac n cheese, frozen pizzas, chicken nuggets and things like that are considerably cheaper at our Aldi's.

I have found a good system for groceries, but it includes shopping at 3-5 stores each week. It can be a pain, but it is normally worth it for the sales, and since I don't work full time, I have the time to shop around for deals!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast