I've been thinking....
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default I've been thinking....

I do a lot of thinking just before I get up in the morning. I always wonder about life's little things and make small decisions that would never affect world peace or the economy at large but are sometimes mildly important for my family.

I have decided not to buy the cheapest toilet paper any more because it is just too thin and my logic is that we will use less if the paper is thicker.

Is it worthwhile to buy more expensive shampoo and then water it down or just buy cheaper stuff (my hair doesn't notice the difference).

Is there a cheaper way to keep the toilet smelling nice without using toilet blocks/air fresheners. I used to have (supermarket bought) lavender smelling thingies sitting on a shelf in the toilet but I only smelled lavender the first couple of days - after that there was no smell. Maybe I should just hang some fresh lavender every week.

I have been stalked the last few weeks by telemarketers to change energy providers. Some are even offering cash to change over but I have never had any problems with my own provider and they are not more expensive (if you believe their website). On saying that all the websites of all the providers state that they themselves are the cheapest, as one would expect.
    I keep wondering what a wasps' nest I would be getting into if I changed and if I would regret it later. So for now I have decided to stay put and try and get my usage down by hanging washing etc.

I could go on for hours with these simple ponderings. Am I alone in this kind of thing - that is - just thinking about 'life's' problems at a certain point in your day? And when do you do this? Where or when is your 'thinking time'?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Dutchie, I ponder these things also. There are some things I won't scrimp on, toilet paper being one of them, but others I don't worry about as much. I will use a lower quality shampoo, but as my hair gets longer, I do buy a nicer conditioner. I don't mind having a basic soap, as long as I have decent lotion. I tend to worry about doing better in certain areas than I already am -- for example, are there things I could do to reduce our heating/cooling bill and our water usage that I've overlooked? How can I become a better meal planner and reduce wasted food? Are there timesavers that can help me with my housework? How do I stay motivated to clean, save, cook, work, do ANYTHING? These questions come to me mostly in the evenings or at night, but also anytime through the day when I feel discouraged or insecure about my routines or choices. Sometimes it's a blessing because I begin to creatively seek new solutions to old problems, and other times it's a curse because I begin to feel like there's no hope and no end to all the responsibilities that being steward of our home entails. Glad I'm not alone in this!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Hi Dutchie
    About the , I agree that the more expensive toilet paper sounds like a good idea. The people in your house, though, may out of habit, still reel off a good foot to foot and a half of tp. Give them a heads up so they are aware of it, flatten the roll so it doesn't unwind so easily or leave a friendly reminder note. I can't use it (leaves too many fibers behind - and either you know what I mean or it will be TMI to explain how uncomfortable that can be )

About the shampoo. Well if your hair doesn't notice the difference, I would say go with the cheaper brands, if you like. I use Suave and it's really inexpensive. To be honest I don't notice any difference between pricier ones and the less expensive ones. There is a lot of hype about one of the ingredients found in the cheaper brands, Sodium Lauryl Sulfate, and the more expensive brands boast not using it - some do anyhow. The ingredient is rumored to cause cancer, please check out Snopes before you buy into that. http://www.snopes.com/inboxer/household/shampoo.asp
    We've all had bad hair days and know how that can wreck your whole day, so go with what feels best for your hair and your wallet.
    As for the toilet. Well, if it's clean there shouldn't be any smell to worry of and I don't think that is what you mean. I think you are looking for a way to scent the room rather than hide any odors. You've already seen that those scented blocks to stick in your toilet aren't working for you past a few days so literally you are flushing money down the toilet. If you have fresh lavender and like that scent, sure, bring in a bouquet. Or tuck sachets about. Or get a Glade Spin Fresh toilet paper holder and whenever someone tries to reel off that foot and a half of TP off a wonky, flattened roll, they'll be spreading a good scent to likely cover the scent they probably just made.
    I have no idea on your electric issue. You already are doing great by knocking it down regardless of your carrier.
    Last edited by Rosebush3; 05-04-2009 at 09:20 AM. Reason: silly computer

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

i think you have to do whats right for you and your family. i buy the cheapest TP we can tolerate.. but thats not necessarily the cheapest brand. we use suave shampoo but then a nicer conditioner for me and suave for the hubs. the toilet.. flylady suggests you just dump any ol soap product (hand soap, body wash, shampoo whatever...) in there and give it a swish with your brush daily.... i find that a good scrubbing once a week with cleaner and baking soda does the trick and i supplement with a quick baking soda scrub if i need to

i think these are the hard choices the should i be cheap-er or should i be happy and you should go with what makes you happy cause its not worth saving money if you have a bum full of scrapes and scratches

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I have similar thoughts. I don't buy the cheapest TP but I do look for sales and use coupons on the brand that I do buy.

I have really weird hair so I do use Pantene for shampoo & conditioner but again, I use coupons to buy it. I have tried several generic brands of both and like I said, I just have weird hair.

I found that experimentation is really the only way YOU know what brand works best for YOU. If you can go with a less expensive brand great, if not then try to find the cheapest place to buy the brand you like and try to find coupons, look for sales, that kind of thing.

Its all just a great balance on what works best for you as inexpensive as possible.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

We always buy the 100% recycled content TP at CVS, it's affordable and it's recycled. Our theory is we don't need virgin forest cut down so we can wipe our backsides!

I do see a difference in my hair when I buy cheap vs. expensive shampoo and conditioner since my hair is long and frizzy. I asked for (and received) a bottle of the expensive conditioner at Christmas time and since I'm subscribing to the only wash your hair 2X a week club (as recommended by my hair dresser), it has lasted a good long time!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Most of my contemplation comes to me when I need to be sleeping. Unfortunately for me, more questions than answers come to me during that time. LOL

I've recently switched from cheap brands of TP back to the good stuff. There was an adjustment period where I had ot keep reminding myself that less is more now.

As for hair care products, go with what you like the best if it doesn't make that much difference to your bottom line. Being frugal is about so many things. It need not be all about sacrifice and self deprivation of the little things that make a personal difference to how we feel about ourselves.

It's garage sale season now. I buy up all the scented candles I can and use those in my bathroom. They smell so nice whether they're burning or not.

If you're happy with your enegy provider, let it be. Don't give in to the high pressure tactics of telemarketers. If it's not broke, don't fix it. You'd be going from a proven thing to the uncertain and unknown that could possibly be hidden in the fine print.
    Last edited by Must-Stash; 05-04-2009 at 03:26 PM.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I used to buy the cheapest TP I could find and hubby complained. Then I started buying the good stuff when it was on sale and I had coupons. Now we have 2 bathrooms. I have been buying a particular store brand for the one I use and the good stuff for hubby. He recently used my bathroom and said the TP was just fine.

SO we are now using one particular cheap store brand. Yes, it is thinner. But I think we were using TOO much of the good stuff. Now I stock up when the store brand is on sale.

Sometimes you have to try different brands/types of things to see which works best for you. Example - We used to use ONE particular brand of toothpaste. Then I got a variety of free samples. Hubby says they are all fine. So I get the freebies and when I need to actually buy some, I just buy the cheapest they have.

There are certain items that only one particular brand will do. We use coupons and purchase that particular brand when it is on sale.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I definately ponder the little things often while driving to & from work or while doing chores. Really, I probably over think many things, but I'm a details person. I think about my power usage almost daily since our rates are so high. I'm constantly searching for the best deals on the things we need & want. Guess, I'm waste hours to save a dollar, but I'd be thinking about something anyway. So, I may as well be "planning" how to save or make due. Right?

Sometimes, I have "projects" that fill my planning time, like gift shopping or eating healthier or a dozen other things. I try to always have at least one fun thing I'm planning/thinking about. I like to see it as a positive, but sometimes is almost a curse like MyMelody said.

Registered User monkeywrangler71's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

When I bought my first house it had one of those scented toilet paper holder things. I never took it off because they didn't leave me the real one, and I never replaced it because I just don't buy that sort of thing. When I moved out, 8 years later, it still smelled.