Just Need to Chat
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Default Just Need to Chat

There is so much stress with everyone with the way the economy is going and the disenchantment with employers because they know they have the employees over a barrel with the job market

I have watched my DH get yanked around since the first of the year with the company he works for being bought out. This week will be the third week where he goes into work on Monday and I get a call midday Tuesday and I get asked "Do you have anything planned on ___ day?" He flies out on Thursday. I don't recall any travel like this the prior 17 years --- and he gets a demotion as well. That is just a udder slap.

I digress.

Yep they give him a whopping 48 hours to pack & travel. I heard that Microsoft would do this and those employees got to leave the same day, but this isn't Microsoft.

It would be okay if they really made the job easier -- or at least fulfill what they promised, but they just give lip service. And expect their workers to continue to do what they did and more.

It is just so difficult to listen and watch and not be able to make it a better situation for him.

I completely realize this isn't uncommon anymore. Few companies care since they are just trying to stay open and profitable.

Ahhhhh,
    Thanks for letting me get that off my chest.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

That's OK! It is important to unload!

The job situation is terrible everywhere, and so it is the employees who suffer.
    My Dh has had to do more and more dirty work just to keep busy. It isn't about job descriptions any more, it is all about survival.... I hope it changes soon.... for everyone!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Hugs to you. My hubby is working his butt off and trying to do more and more to give no excuses to let him go. I'm putting it in God's hands. He's a good worker. It's a really hard situation with this economy.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Yup, it's hard to stop and be thankful for the job you have when you are worn ragged and not getting compensated for it. Hugs and prayers. Like MommyBliss said, let God handle it. He's so much better at these things than we are.

Cat

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Patticakes - This is happening everywhere, companies know they can push their staffs to the limit and people will still stick around.

At my company they extended the work hours by 1.5 hours everyday (everyone is on salary, and this has been devastating to parents with daycare issues), they changed our dress code (more suits), reduced the amount they pay on our commuter passes and health insurance, and several departments have a requirement that their staff stay in the building during lunch. We take it, we smile, happy to have a job. No one has quit, but we have had layoffs.

I'm sure it's frustrating for you and your family life, but basically it is what it is. The alternative is your husband might be able to get a job, probably for less money and you could go back to work to balance out the paychecks.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

ml2620 - I DO work. We both work TWO jobs.

I completely realize that the economy bites and in dealing with the public as our jobs, people overall suck on a daily basis. All I was looking to do here was vent, not be judged and move on.

I find it horrible that employers are holding employment over the heads of their employees KNOWING that if they quit there is a long line waiting to take that open position. At what point will people tell them to stick it and mover on to a better employer?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Patticakes,

In defense of ML2620, I don't believe she meant any offense. These are trying times for the majority of us. We are here for support, inspiration, and to promote the frugual lifestyle.

My husband's job has been in a constant state of jeopardy with ever-deepening budget cuts here in MA. Although so far, so good, we have approached this past year with extreme frugality in order to dig out from debt and secure some savings should he lose his job. I'm selliing more on ebay, learning how to stretch every dollar, and learning how to cut costs.

We go without a clothes dryer, a microwave, a dishwasher, cell phones, cable, high speed internet, a second vehicle. From this board I've learned how to cut my electricity costs, how to plan meals, and how to live on a very tight budget.

Yes...the economy IS spooky. But I'm determined to live on less. For the past year we've "pretended" my husband's income has been halfed to see how we would fair. We faired well, but it required a ton of creativity. And we applied the other half towards outstanding debt and savings. It was, in actuality, a survival techinique.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Unhappy Me Too...

Quote Originally Posted by MommyBliss View Post
    Hugs to you. My hubby is working his butt off and trying to do more and more to give no excuses to let him go. I'm putting it in God's hands. He's a good worker. It's a really hard situation with this economy.
    I hear you, my hubby's in the same boat - just trying to do whatever it takes.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Even over here, where the oil business is so good and there's so much money, the economy is affected. DH's salary was chopped and while it's still a really good salary by American standards, when you have things to pay off, outrageous tuition for 3 kids (the free government schools are only for citizens), and general living expenses where most food is imported and therefore pricey, things can get tight. Fortunately I have a good job and don't pay taxes so that helps a lot. But I'd much rather be home with my kids all day. DH's pay cut doesn't make that possible.

The economy is why we have no plans to return stateside for a few years...what would we do?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Hang in there patticakes........take a deep breath and tell yourself that things will get better..........and I hope soon for everyones sake....this has been a horrible struggle.
    Last edited by frugalfranny; 06-10-2009 at 02:20 AM.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I've seen this cycle in companies before. When times get better (and they will), the companies that treated their employees badly during the downturn will have high turnover...

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I totally get what you are saying. I work for someone who really plays head games and she knows I need the job so bad. It's simply unfair to take advantage of your employees and hold the current economic conditions over their head.