Aldis VS. Couponing
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default Aldis VS. Couponing

I'm wondering which way I would come out ahead. I moved several mths ago from a very rural area to a "city" ( to me at least haha) of 6,000 so now I live a few miles from aldis as opposed to an hr.
    We have a large blended family and very limited budget. I have been spending 500-600 a mth which I would love to cut. We eat alot of meats but I recently found a store that has meat pkgs,catfish,chicken patties etc for 5 for 25.00 so that is a better deal than walmart and even some at aldis.
    I joined a coupon train and currently use coupons for some of the items we buy such as swiffer refills,air fresheners,deodorant etc. I've also been looking at buying coupons on ebay.
    We are not brand picky on most things and although I cook 3 times a day we don't do elaborate meals. Burgers,spaghetti,tacos, chili, stuff like that.
    I am just wanting some opinions on if it may be cheaper to coupon heavily or stick to walmart or aldis. Also I don't live near a walgreens or any of those type of stores and no stores here double coupon.
    Last edited by Mamaof2rugrats; 06-16-2009 at 02:45 AM.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I think its cheaper to shop at aldis and make your own cookies breaded chicken ect. Then have a50 cent coupon for tyson breaded wings which is like $8 bucks a bag. Aldis $4.99 I only use the coupons if i know item will be FREE or under $1.00

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I guess I don't pick one but use both. My aldi's has a lot of great deals but doesn't carry everything I need or like. Coupons have become harder to use but it's nice to sit outside and clip so i have them if I want. I never limit my options. I don't bother w/ internet coupons but that's just because no one good takes them here. Save-a-lot is good here too if you have one. Ours has spanish/mexican authentic brands which I try for something different.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I keep a Price Book so I KNOW which is the best buy. If you are not familiar with a Price Book, here are a couple links to information and examples:

http://www.getrichslowly.org/blog/20...food-spending/

http://www.ncnblog.com/2007/11/07/fr...-on-groceries/

I first read about the Price Book in The Tightwad Gazette by Amy Dacyczyn, and have used it on-and-off since 1993. It takes a bit of work to set it up and running, but it absolutely has helped to keep spending within my budget.

In my Price Book I keep my grocery money ($50/week for 2 adults), a calculator, coupons, on-going shopping list, and an inventory of food. I have a large amount of food in storage, so this helps me to keep track of what I have or need. Some foods (especially peanut butter) I also post my use-by dates in my inventory sheets. Because I have a well-stocked pantry and foods in storage, most of my purchases are loss leaders, sales items, clearance items...and I do my menu planning from foods in storage.

My book is a small 6-ring notebook (I found at a thrift store) and the paper is 6-3/4"x3-3/4".

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I also have a pricebook but only use it now to compare prices at the salvage grocery store and Aldi. I used to spend a lot of time making lists based on sale flyers and coupons and then comparing prices for things and would still get almost everything at Aldi because it was just cheaper. I saved all of my receipts one month and used my price book and found that my hours of comparing with my price book had saved me exactly $3.49. I do still get great deals as the salvage store so I do use my price book for that. As for coupons I don't have any stores near me that double or triple, we largely buy staples, and I rarely find coupons that actually lower my grocery bill. There are a FEW things that we prefer a specific brand and I clip coupons and watch sale bills for those but that's about it.

My grocery budget is $60 a week for a family of four... that is three meals a day (no one buys lunch) and includes household cleaners, paper products, toiletries and over the counter medications. I think Aldi is doing pretty well for us.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

We have a Giant that will double coupons, up to a $1. So toothpaste, hot sauce, shaving cream, deodrant, that kind of stuff is usually free, or less than $.50. I try and go to Aldi's for everything else, if I can, although, they don't have everything I need.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I often find Aldi's good for many staples because there aren't many coupons for those. So I would say keep an Aldi's price book, and if the coupon is better, do that.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I shop at both. I mainly coupon at the grocery store (Giant Eagle) to get the loss leaders and stuff I won't buy at Aldi. There are some things that I have tried from there that we didn't like. So I get them at Giant Eagle or Walmart. But you can not beat Aldi here for staples like milk, flour, sugar.
    Prior to the economic disaster, Aldi produce here was quite sub-par, rotten, moldy sometimes. So I refused to buy. Now the quality within the past few months has gone up. Also they are now doing some daily specials like Strawberries/blueberrie for 99 cents. I think that volume turn over has changed the quality out there on the floor.
    In summary, try it and see what the savings and quality mean to you. I started with just going for milk since it was $1/gallon cheaper than the big stores and just added stuff along the way to try to see if we liked it.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Definitely Aldi's for us. I hate going there but I do! I hate the lines back to the freezers but the prices are worth it.

I usually only find oupons for processed foods so they rarely work for us.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I almost NEVER use coupons, and still feed the four adult-sized appetites pretty cheaply. The price book is definitely a must and so is Aldi shopping.

I learned a long time ago that if you're going to shop at multiple stores (which I do) START at the store with the least selection (aldi for me) and END at the store with the greatest selection (Kroger for me) so that if Aldi is sold out or doesn't have an item you need, the Kroger will.

Another great place in the Midwest is GFS (Gordon Food Service). It is a restaurant supplier which is open to the public, no membership, no business licence required. ESPECIALLY if you having a wedding, graduation or similar event. Their close out rack in the back of the store is THE BOMB.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by MaryCarney View Post
    [FONT="Comic Sans MS"][SIZE="3"]
    I learned a long time ago that if you're going to shop at multiple stores (which I do) START at the store with the least selection (aldi for me) and END at the store with the greatest selection (Kroger for me) so that if Aldi is sold out or doesn't have an item you need, the Kroger will.
    that is SOO true! I only shop Aldi and the salvage store (except for specific items like the brand of bread we like and items specific to ds's food allergies) but I ALWAYS start at the salvage store since their stock isn't regular.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I find Aldi's to be my least expensive option. They're much better than Walmart (here anyway). I shop at Aldi's and just fill in if I've got to have something they don't have. I usually buy the store brand of whatever so coupons don't help there either.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I haven't been in Walmart for about 3 weeks. I feel like I get taken each time I was there. My main source of grocery shopping is at Aldi's and Save a lot for meat and the discount bakery for bread etc, dollar General or dollar tree and I also have a price book to let me know what is cheaper where.
    I still use coupons but only if I can get the item next to nothing.
    I can say that my bill went from $75 per week that includes pet food to about $167 at Walmart when things started to rise. So I started going back to aldi's and I have it back down to about $75 again. I do take $5 to $10 a week and set aside just in case there is a meat sale or can goods and then I stock up.
    If anyone is interested Aldi's has a web site and it has low cost meals to make for your family and I myself have tried allot of them.
    http://www.aldifoods.com/index_ENU_HTML.htm
    I hope I posted the link correctly you might have to copy and paste.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Try the website couponmom. It can really help you with coupons and grocery store sales. Not all stores are listed but there might be one near you.

pip
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I really like shopping at Aldis. I am always amazed at how much food I can get for my money. The local Cub Foods is close and a fun place to shop, but I spend so much more and don't get as much food.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast