How do you combat that overwhelmed & paralyzed feeling? - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Honestly? I just have to literally force myself to do it. The more I do that, the easier it gets to do the things I need to.

I. Hate. Dishes. I don't have a dishwasher. I used to wait to do the dishes until there weren't any. A few weeks ago I started forcing myself to take five minutes after every meal and wash them. Now it's like second nature. I automatically do it. Having everything in order makes me feel better, and I've found I'm depressed less. My entire house was a mess because I just didn't have the energy to deal with it. Now that my house is clean on a regular basis, I can actually sit down and relax and worry about nothing. Just sit on the couch in DB's arms and watch tv while my belly looks like there's an alien about to escape

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I have that overwhelmed feeling often. I also struggle with perfectionism. One thing I do when I start feeling bad about what I'm not getting done: at night I write a list in a page of a notebook of all the things I DID that day, whether or not they were planned, or things that sidetracked me. This visual lists helps to remind me that I it isn't true that I haven't done anything... it is more often that I haven't finished something. So the problem might be that I hadn't broken up the task into small enough pieces. The list also helps me see where I am getting sidetracked... After keeping the "accomplished" list for a couple I weeks, I can see that I am actually getting things done slowly and imperfectly... but done.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

a square foot at a time, a drawer at a time, a square meter at a time. I also learned to take goodwill donations to the car immediately. don't put it down "for now".

there was about a year of my life where i was making "almost daily" small donations on the way to work.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Like Greebo said.......and quit putting off waiting for 'the time' to happen. Just start something.....make sure you finish...start the next thing...NOW! If I catch myself procrastinating 'something' about the garden I will make a list which helps get me going. Usually I am putting it off because it is something that I don't like doing anyway.

But, also, as another poster said.......don't beat yourself up over it. If you can look at yourself in the mirror and HONESTLY say you gave it your best shot......then that is all you can do.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

And remember, WE are our own worst critic.

WE put pressure on ourselves that can be so unrealistic.

Time to also give yourself a break! We give "breaks" to others and it is time to take one to yourself also! Be kind to YOU!!!
    Last edited by Karen1; 07-30-2009 at 08:43 PM.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

ml2620,

The title of this thread is my life. I do have ADD and if you have it; its not so simple. Problem is sticking with it! Baby steps are definately the answer, but what happens one day will get done; the next all kinds of things come up and off track again. I too have a bunch of projects started and not finished. Sometimes I can work a long time and others I see the overwhelming amount that needs to be done and quit. I am overwhelmed everyday!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Know the feeling - for me it's about just doing one thing - and to time myself - am always amazed how quickly I got it done and that supports me to do one more thing!! Good luck!!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Just keep putting one foot in front of the other I often felt overwhelmed when caring for my old sick parents and trying to tend to their household and mine it got so that even little things seem overwheming to me. I started off slow did the essentials and add tasks one by one. I would say to myself today I will do --- and I made sure I did. As I accomplished something I felt better and stronger Do not ry everything at once and Music is wonderful put on the stereo and sing while you work I swear music kept me sane many a day

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

i find it helpful to put on the dave ramsey radio archives on the loudspeaker on the computer while i clean or declutter.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12