I dont know what to do???
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default I dont know what to do???

My dd17 wanted a cell phone and a i pod touch and a camera for christmas. Well I got the cell which was 100.00 but i dont think I can get the other 2 I just dont have the money. there is so meany things comming up like i had to pay for her cheer leading 68.00 and then she needs more money on the 12 th to go some where with the cheerleaders. i do have her other little things . so should I tell dd to pick out of the 3 which one she wants? I still have to get my dd15 her big gift.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

A lot of cell phones have a camera on them. Did you get that kind?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Does she have a job?

If they each have a "big" gift and the 17 year old has already been bought a cell phone for a $100, and wanting an IPOD touch and a camera AND you're even considering getting all three what are the BIG gifts that you're considering.

Me, I'd leave it at the camera for $100 for the big gift and move on to the 15 year old. Sorry just me.
    Bank of America is THE godfather of Hell with Wells Fargo running neck and neck. When the world ends the only things that will be left are cockroaches, Walmart, Wells Fargo and Bank of America. Not necessarily in that order. The order remains to be seen.

Challenges
    Coupon/Sales Challenge Feb
    $8.00

Grocery Challenge/Feb
    Goal $250.00
    Total $33.55

Eat Out No More Feb
    Goal 20
    Accomp/8

No Spend Challenge/Feb
    Goal 20
    Accomp 4

Change Jar 2020
    $

Christmas Fund 2020
    $

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Those are 3 BIG items! I would stick with the phone ~ it likely has a camera on it. The IPod touch is nice to have but I think a cell phone would have more use.

Did you check out the IPhone 3G (not 3GS)? It's the first version of the Iphone and they are going for $99. It combines the phone, camera and apps of a Ipod touch. I have an IPhone (3GS) and I love it but probably could have gone with the 3G.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Those are 3 really big items. If it were me, I'd get her one of those items and tell her that maybe for her birthday you could get another. She may be disappointed, but you are doing the best you can for her.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

As a parent who doesn't always have the money I understand how you feel.
    But those are all three big things and you should feel good about being able to get even one of those.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

My kids only get one big ticket thing. I would tell her to choose the one she really wants and I'd get that one. Then maybe she can get one of the others for her birthday?

There are other options as well. Go to the apple website and look for refurbished ipods. They are new and you get the new warranty with them but they are cheaper. My mom got my dd an ipod nano like this last year. You can also get her a cell phone WAY cheaper than 100.00. You can get a Tracfone for around 10.00 and add minutes to it every 3 months. We all have these (dh, ds and I have Tracfone and dd has a net ten). My dd pays 30.00 for 300.00 units every two or three months. They aren't fancy but you can call and text on them. You could get her the ipod and then ask someone else in the family to get a cheap phone and someone else a card for it. Then maybe she could get the camera for her birthday!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

give her what you can
    other than that, it is life pure and simple
    she will understand....I would have asked her what is the number 1 thing she wanted, rest are a crapshoot..LOL

we never can have all we want, at least that was the way for me. Mom always said, what is the most important...I said, she gave regadless of the sacrifice to get it. I was thrilled.

no one in life gets it all...even at Christmas.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

My 17yo (who already has her own cell phone -bought with her own money as she works at BK and a camera that she got for her birthday) also wants an iPod touch. I told her to save up for it. That's just too much money for a Christmas gift, especially when there are many other people to buy for as well.

Instead, she is getting a TV/DVD player for her "big gift".

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

How about budget a Christmas your family can afford? 3 big ticket electronic items? I don't think so...

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I would suggest the iPhone as well. I have one, and I love it. I download songs and free podcasts from iTunes, can take decent pics with it, use it as my PDA, shopping list, budget tool, calendar, and watch, and occasionally I even make a phone call with it!! I bought mine back when they were pricey, about $300, but if they are down to $99, I'd say grab one!!

Your daughter is old enough to understand that it is you, and not Santa, bringing her presents, so she is also old enough to understand that you don't have a money pot hidden in the backyard.

One option would be, if you are planning on spending more on her, to give her a gift card for $$ at Best Buy (or similar electronics type store). She can use it toward getting any of her "wants," but will have to decide herself which is most important to her, and if she wants to spend any of her own money to get an upgrade.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

its hard because alot of people ar on certain budgets here too.
    If i could get cheaper work boots that last for a whole year i wouldnt pay $100(17 yr old xmas gift).

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Some cameras have all 3 -- I know the Old Man's does.

Not knowing who your provider is, HERE are some ideas, you can always go to your providers website.

You paid for her cheer leading, and up coming trip...

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Can you ask her to chip in on dd15's gift? That way, dd17's gift will in part be paid for by herself, and she'll learn that when she wants and gets something big, someone has to suffer..... In this case, let her help out with the other gifts.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Oh man, one cell phone is plenty.

There's no way I'd give my 17 year old those three things, especially if it was beyond my budget. At 17, she should have a little big of understanding and appreciation for what you can afford.

I'm not saying this to be a meany head. It really would not be in your daughter's best interest to buy her 3 expensive electronic items just because she asked for them, especially at the age where she should be earning money and saving for these things on her own. It's time for her to branch out and see what's she's made of, mama. Don't hold her back by treating her like a princess.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast